Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #1  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default I remember now!

Ok, I wanted to ask this yesterday but alas, I forgot! Anyway, according to my height and weight and all that I am supposed to be consuming around 3000 calories a day which, as I have mentioned before, I think that number is a little high for weight loss but whatever.

My question is, if I'm not hungry, should I still force myself to eat 3000 calories a day?? I have been eating to the point where I am satisfied and I go on about my business. When I feel it again, I may have a snack or something but I'm pretty sure that I am not consuming the entire 3000. I would say I might be around 2000 give or take. I am also trying to make sure that I eat things that are low cal.

I have also, as most know, started going back to Curves. The workout there is supposed to burn up to 500 calories give or take. I only did one round yesterday and burned 294. You are supposed to do two rounds so I guess that's pretty good. I'm a little confused with the whole you need to burn more than you are taking in deal. I mean, I would have to workout all dern day to burn off 3000 calories!

HELP!!
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #2  
Transforming through God

Well, to my understanding you don't have to burn everything you take in, that would be exhausting lol

My understanding is, it takes a certain amount of calories for your body to just...function. So, by your current weight, just to keep yourself alive you would have to consume X amount (this is the same for everyone, the actual number just varies based on weight).

So let's just *assume* to even function (pump your blood, work your lungs etc) your body uses 3500 calories a day. That is your baseline. Like, if you didn't leave your bed, you could eat 3500 a day just to live and not gain/lose weight because your body is using a lot of that to just be alive. If you wanted to lose weight, you would reduce 500 calories a day OR exercise 500 calories worth a day, for a lost of 1lb a week (1lb=3500 calories).

Your baseline is high because your weight is higher. At say, 300 lbs, it may only take 2700 calories for your body to function, at 250 it may take 2500 etc... so you keep having to adjust for that. (these are just approximations)

So rest easy, you don't have to 'burn' 3000 calories a day!! Your body does a lot of that just livin'

You are just wanting to create a deficit, to consume LESS than what it takes for your body to function and not gain or lose weight .... which is where the combination of exercise/food comes in.

So, if the calculator you used says 3000 calories a day (this is assuming you aren't just in a bed all day, it assumes you are doing daily functions and even exercising -- whatever activity level punched in when you got the number) -- it is probably fairly accurate.

HOWEVER, I would not recommend eating food if you do not feel hungry. If you feel satiated eating 2000 calories most days and your energy level is good, no headaches, you feel good and not hungry -- go for it. You will likely lose faster as well. I see you have a loss already (congrats!), so keep doin' what works.

I hope that helps a little bit, I am certainly no expert but I have been at this a while LOL....

Good luck and much success to you!!

Last edited by MyBestYear; 03-12-2010 at 11:29 AM.
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I would just like to add that it's actually NOT the same for everyone. The calculators give you an estimate based on weight, height, age, and activity level.

How are you losing thus far? I would go more by how your body feels than by what the calculator says. Are you losing a good, safe amount each week without any ill side effects?

Last edited by jkinboston89; 03-12-2010 at 05:26 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I try to eat my recommended cals whether I'm hungry or not. 1 - because it will keep me from getting hungry later, I usually find that if I don't eat them then I'm ravenous later and will overeat and 2- because I'd like to keep my metabolism as high as possible so that if/when I need to drop calories I have room and I hope to not have to live the rest of my life maintaining at 1500, I hope to be able to maintain at 1800. If I stay at 1200-1500 for too long my body will adapt to that and that's all it will require to maintain. That's just my personal belief though so take it for what it's worth.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Do you have an estimated idea of how many calories you were consuming before you started to diet? I personally think it's better to subtract calories from your old normal total than to go by any calculator. It's quite possible you were never eating as much as a calculator thinks you were.

I never used a calculator...I would say use your hunger cues for a while, figure out how many calories that is and start from there. I can't trust my hunger signals, so I couldn't do that long term. But it's probably a good starting point.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #6  
Come on 20!!!

S/C/G: 184/174/125

Height: 5'2"

My two cents to throw in......
In my personal experience is that I was unable to trust my body's signal to start so the "calculations" that everyone uses to start out with were created by people with the knowledge of how bodies in general function. I trusted these when I was at my heaviest and still trust them.
When I first started out and found I had energy and strength to do more than what I thought my body could handle I was extremely excited. I also found that I wasn't always hungry. This isn't about hunger it's about fuel!! Your body is like your car. Most people treat their cars better than their bodies. Wrap your brain around what your body needs to maintain a healthier version of you.
We are not experts on our bodies and that is why we send it to people who are. There are so many people and plans out there and all diets work if you can stick to it. That has been the problem that most people have.... the willpower to stick to it.... yes, it's hard. Rely on the experts for a little while longer. Your doctor should be on plan with you whenever you decide to decrease your calories.
1 ounce of almonds (garden herb flavored) is 170 calories and yet is not a huge meal or a light snack. It's high in monunsat fat has 6 grams of protien and best of all is fuel for your body. You risk a binge later if you decide that since your not hungry now it's ok for you to run on fumes until you feel the need to refuel..... just because you are not hungry now may throw off your metabolism tomorrow.
Talk with your doctor. Let him/her see your journal. You may have had something to eat earlier in the day that made you seem full. Make sure you are taking in enough nutrients.
I guess that was more than 2 cents...lol... more like a dollar...
Good Luck
sail7seassoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #7  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

That helps very much gals! Thanks for the advice!
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote