Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Since losing weight what are you happy you don't have to do anymore...

So I've been thinking a lot about all the horrible things that my large size effected. I am now a *normal* size and there are so many things I can be thankful for.

1. Not having to wear shorts under skirts when I knew I'd be doing a lot of walking because my legs would rub together
2. Not being hot all the time (now I'm cold all the time which is a whole other problem)
3. Not being out of breath after 1 flight of stairs
4. Not worring about how much walking there would be because my feet would hurt too bad.
5. Not having to shop at Lane Bryant!
6. Not feeling judge every time I put a piece of food in my mouth
7. Not worrying whether someone was going to sit next to me at a sporting event or at the movies and make me feel like I had no room to move because I was spilling over the seats.
8. Not dreading running into people I haven't seen in a while because I knew they'd notice the huge amount of weight I'd gained.

Also wanted to add not dreading going shopping for clothes!

Last edited by ncuneo; 03-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #2  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Haha, I have a lot! I'll have to add them as I think of them, but here are a few:

- Not having to grab clothes from the back of the rack to try on
- Don't have to avoid the subject of diets, weight, exercise, etc...usually I'm the one initiating the conversation
- Not having to use a rubberband to "button" my jeans (true story...I refused to buy a bigger size and they wouldn't button)
- Not worrying about being the "fat friend"
- Not being embarrassed to go shopping with friends because they might see what size I am
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/174/135

Height: 5'3

Oh, I use to run from cameras, now I can't wait to get my picture taken!
JENNIEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
- Not having to use a rubberband to "button" my jeans (true story...I refused to buy a bigger size and they wouldn't button)

- Not being embarrassed to go shopping with friends because they might see what size I am
Yep, I've experienced both of these.

I have been traveling a lot for work lately. So I'll add:

- Not having to worry about feeling too big for the airplane seat. I never had to have an extender, but now I feel "normal" in the seat instead of big, with my legs touching the armrests

- Not having to be disappointed with the XL on the rack doesn't fit, and having to go to the Women's World and hoping they'll have a version of that cute top there

- I don't miss feeling embarrassed and self-conscious when walking into a room. I'm not a skinny, tiny chick and I never will be, but now I feel more normal. I feel like a curvy tall girl, not like a linebacker.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Not having to pop Tums in the middle of the night (I found a bottle of them today in the medicine cabinet and couldn't remember the last time I'd had heartburn when it was a nightly occurence before)

Not dreading getting dressed for fear I'd outgrown one of the few outfits that I could squeeze into

Not fearing that everyone is staring at me and thinking bad things about me when I leave the house

Not having to choose between what needs to be done and whether it will tire me out - now I just do stuff without thinking about it like running up or downstairs when I need something, moving heavy things, doing home repairs, etc.

Not dreading catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror

Not dreading seeing people I haven't seen in a while for fear they would notice how much fatter I'd gotten since the last time I saw them

Not avoiding social situations out of embarrassment
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

A lot less "pretending" and concealment going on:

Not having to conceal -- very badly -- my breathlessness when trying to walk beside a smaller, healthier, fast-walking friend.

Not having to leave my too-tight winter coat unbuttoned & filling in (awkwardly) the open space with a shawl or scarf.

Not feeling like three-quarters of the clothes in the world are automatically out of reach, and yet I still have to follow thin friends into stores where nothing would fit me but socks & jewelry, & I still have to feign interest in their merchandise.

Last edited by saef; 03-06-2010 at 09:32 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Oh gosh, so many things for me!

1. Not having to shop at a few limited plus size stores.
2. Not avoiding heels because I knew my feet would hurt.
3. Not constantly worrying what I was going to wear if I had to get dressed up.
4. Not constantly wondering if people were treating me different because I was so fat.
5. Not avoiding lots of activities because I was worried I was too fat to do them.
6. Not hating myself for buying junk food, but buying it anyway.
7. Not eating in the car.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

CC-- I was constantly worried that I had no clothes-- most of the time, most of the stuff in my closet didn't really fit.

Saef-- I had forgotten about that thing of walking with someone and being out of breath, and trying to hide it. That sucked! (plus, I was always secretly worried I was about to have a heart attack.)
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

• Feign interest in scenery while walking with family and friends (while I really was catching my breath)
  • Avoid shopping for clothing because nothing looked good or fit right
  • Ask my husband to clip my toenails
  • Use a chair to tie my shoes
  • Wear elastic waist pants and skirts (NEVER AGAIN!!!)
  • Find excuses to avoid physically strenuous activities while out with friends/family
  • Watch what I eat in public for fear that others were watching
  • Avoid social events because Iwas embarassed or had nothing to wear that FIT
  • Sneak eating in private
  • Turn down invitations because of my weight
  • Wear "old lady" clothes/underwear/swimwear
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/152/105

Height: 5'1"

-Not immediately cutting the size tags out of every new clothing purchase.
-Not having to deal with a thigh rash after walking all day in a skirt or shorts.
-Not feeling ashamed of eating something non-healthy in front of people.
-Not feeling my stomach rolls touch together while driving
-Not having to turn sideways to fit through small spaces.
-Not having to only own one bra because nothing else would fit and not look like it was my grandmothers.
-Being able to go into clothing stores and look at more than just the accessories.
-No longer having to sew the inner seam of my favorite jeans after my thighs wore holes in them.

One thing that is really strange to me now is the dirty looks I'll get shopping from girls if I go in with a friend to Lane Bryant or Torrid...like I don't belong and am not welcome. Probably the same look I had on my face when seeing a smaller girl in one of those stores.
Dalgishake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #11  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Great thread!

I completely agree about the whole shopping with friends and not being able to wear anything but accessories in that store. Awful, awful, awful feeling!

Not having to worry that I'm breathing loud....I used to just sound loud from just sitting and breathing!

Not having anyone notice me, despite my larger frame. I felt invisible and was treated as if I don't like the same things in life as a thin person. Crazy! Now, everyone seems to notice and the world is so friendly. Sad, but true.

Not having to make up reasons why I can't go into the pool at a pool party! Or why I can't go into the ocean at the beach.

Not having to feel like a blob! I felt like an asexual blob and now, I feel like a woman.

Not having to wear ugly underware! I now have cute underware!

Not having the fat spill over out of my underware while I'm walking or sitting and having to stick my hands down my pants and try to push it back in! Ok, I know that sounds horrible, but it felt even worse! Please don't judge me!!!

Not having to endure my thighs rubbing together when I wear skirts. I tried to wear spanx underneath but they made it even worse because they were riding up my thighs and would curl upwards cutting off circulation! Not a pretty picture!!!

There's more, but those were some big ones.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #12  

Height: 5'11"

Oh, man. I forgot about the big underwear. I still have a drawer full of it that I don't wear. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten rid of that yet.

And the unbuttoned coat trick....I did that, too. I have a black wool coat that I bought when I was fairly slim. I tried to wear it last winter and I could zip it but it was embarassingly tight. Like can't-sit-down tight. I was able to easily wear it this winter and I felt so grateful that I could once again wear and ZIP it.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #13  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Not having anyone notice me, despite my larger frame. I felt invisible and was treated as if I don't like the same things in life as a thin person. Crazy! Now, everyone seems to notice and the world is so friendly. Sad, but true.
I noticed this too and it makes me sad as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Not having the fat spill over out of my underware while I'm walking or sitting and having to stick my hands down my pants and try to push it back in! Ok, I know that sounds horrible, but it felt even worse! Please don't judge me!!!
We would never judge you Luckymommy! We have all been there and remember what it was like. Never be afraid to tell us how you really feel. This is the place to let it all out.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

At the moment, I am extremely grateful for being able to look forward to summer without having to fret about losing 30lb - they are gone! :-)
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I don't miss:

Always having to manage to get the front seat in a car if 5 people are traveling together or if it is a two-door.

If in the back seat of a car, hoping no one asks me why I am not wearing my seatbelt.

Not being able to fit into "group" t-shirts for school clubs or whatever.

That moment of anxiety at a resturant when I wasn't sure I'd get a seat that I fit into.

Doing almost anything to avoid flying.

Having people look vaguely surprised when I mention I am married.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote