Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Question Does this help?

I've been debating different ideas to get me motivated about working out/eating better. My husband is going to start the P90X (eek!) program when it arrives in the mail and wants me to take Before/After photos for him. Should I do this for myself? Has anyone found that posting their "Before" photos around places you'll see them frequently helps motivate them? What are some other ideas that you all have to keep focused on the end result instead of how %&#*@#$ hard it is to stay on track? Has anyone thought of posting their before photos on here before they've reached their goal? To sort of kick their butt into action?
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Posting my Before pictures never, ever made me feel better. It was a very negative way of trying to motivate, like "Look how FAT you are, better not eat that cupcake". I hated it. I need positive energy to keep moving forward.

So I have sticker charts (yes, apparently I'm a toddler). I have various tasks that earn me a sticker and goals for the number of each I'll complete in the month (right now, they are HIIT workout, Incline Trainer Workout, Run > 5 Mi, Total Body Strength, Other Fitness, and Calories On Plan. Every day, I get stickers for the things I accomplished that day. And taped up next to the sticker chart, there is a list of rewards that I can earn by meeting my goals.

I find it helps give me a little extra nudge without feeling bad about myself.

Some people do work well with negative motivation, but for me, it would be anti-helpful to post "before" photos anywhere with the intention of shaming myself into action. I DID have a moment where I saw a photo and that pushed me into this journey, but I didn't remind myself of it repeatedly.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Manda! It's just that I'm a "skinny fat" person. In reality I'm not very big (size 6-8) but I have absolutely no tone to my body. It's all fat. It's easy for me to forget as I'm walking around all day fully clothed that underneath is not a pretty picture. I have no experience with either negative or positive motivation since this is the first time i've *sincerely* tried to tone up. But it's funny that you mention the sticker chart. I have filled out my journal in advance of what I plan to do as far as exercise for the day. Than I made a little box at the bottom of that day and put "Accomplished?" and plan to put a sticker there if I accomplish it! I don't think it's silly at all. In fact my coworker even got me My Little Pony stickers So no judgment from me. I'm just in need of a little bit of a push. My husband says he doesn't want to push me because then he will feel like he's showing me he thinks I'm fat, which he doesn't. So it's hard to get that "hey lazy, get off the couch and do something!" kick! I don't know if I'm even making sense, but I'm going to try all manner of approaches so I can get myself in gear.
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Were you ever at a lower body fat percentage, perhaps even when you were a teenager? Maybe a pic in a swimsuit from that era would work. Or even a pic of someone else whose body you admire, or a goal that you're working toward. (I have a sign up in front of my treadmill with three words..."HIGH SCHOOL REUNION". Now THAT'S some motivation).

I just find it so much nicer to focus on what I'm working TOWARD, instead of what I don't want to be.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

I'm with Mandalinn82. For me, taking Before photos as a way to push myself to stay on track wouldn't work. I use a photo from before I gained weight as that little nudge for motivation when I need it. However, I personally think it's a good idea to take Before photos and current photos as you go through your weight loss journey. Oftentimes, it's hard for us to see the differences in our body as we're losing pounds and inches but looking at a Before and Current photo can help you to see your body is looking more toned and slimmer.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote