Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Problem-Feet

My Primary Physician told me I have Onichomycosis,the Medical term for Toenail Fungus.I scheduled an Appointment with a Podiatrist out of State.At the Appointment,Toenail clippings were taken and sent for Analysis.The Preliminary results came back 2 types of Fungus,and the final results were negative for further Fungus.He wanted to Prescribe Sporanox,but I can't take,because I take Xanax.Podiatrist told me I have Athlete's Foot,which is a Fungus as well and I have Neuropathy.He recommended double doses of BComplex and Folic Acid Daily,the Product Neuremedy,and told me to alternate Lotrimin Cream and Socks,then Lotion and Socks Nightly.I had a Scheduled Appointment Monday with my Podiatrist.I called and cancelled,because I can't afford the Gas,and I owe a Bill from my last Appointment.I can't afford to go every 3 or so Month's to get my Toenails trimmed.Couple Month's after my first Appointment,I called and talked with my Podiatrist to ask his thoughts on my getting Pedicures.He said,"Sure.".I intended to go every 2 Weeks to the Cosmetology School,because they are a Learning Institution,and felt I could trust the Instructors to Teach the Students how to properly disinfect and sanitize Tools.I called the CS,talked with an Instructor,and was straight up honest about my Foot problems.She told me they wouldn't allow Students to touch my Feet given the Foot problems I have.I'm scr*wed unless I go to a Professional Salon,but worry I would be taking a risk of unclean Tools being used on my Feet!I have no problem whatsoever washing my Feet,gently Exfoliating,scrubbing my Toenails with a gentle brush,drying my Feet,filing Calloused spots,or lotioning.What presents problem is,properly trimming,filing and buffing my Toenails.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
What presents problem is,properly trimming, filing and buffing my Toenails.
Maybe you could book one session with a Professional Pedicurist when you have the cash; and ask her to show you how to do the above yourself -- explaining your budget restrictions. I'm sure they would understand as they know how the economy is right now ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #3  
Woman on mission!

Justwant2Bhealthy,
I would pay US$15 at the Cosmetology School versus US$25-$35 at a Salon.My Back and regained Weight is presenting the problem of trimming,filing and buffing my Toenails.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 02-24-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #4  

While I understand your need to get your feet seen to, please please please don't to go a salon! Although most are quite clean (that's what I tell myself anyway!), there are no guarantees that your foot fungus wouldn't be passed on to someone else. How about if you try the regime recommended and maybe within a few weeks the fungus will have cleared up, then you can go to a salon or the school again to get your feet taken care of. I would hope that a salon with a good reputation wouldn't work on someone's feet when they have fungus, the same as the school wouldn't allow the students.

Why not get a referral to a podiatrist who isn't so far away so you don't have to drive so far? Is there any way that someone else would be willing to trim & file (or even just filing?) your toenails until the fungus has been cleared up? If you're diligent with filing, you may not even need to have your nails trimmed. What about buying your own tools to take with you to a salon (after your fungus is cleared up) and then you're sure they will be clean.
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

i'm curious about why your health plan wouldn't pay for it?
My parents get some of their chiropody covered, and I know diabetic foot clinics exist. With your neuropathy, I think this could be the slippery slope of foot problems and that full attention needs to be paid even to something as minor as fungus.
Hope you can find an affordable solution.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #6  
Woman on mission!

2annabelle,
I would take my own Tools,Files and Foot care items.It will take more than a few Weeks for the Fungus to clear.I cannot take the Anti-Fungal Medication my Podiatrist wanted to Prescribe,so am resorting to Natural Anti-Fungals,which takes a bit longer to work.There is 1 Podiatrist in my Area,and he isn't taking new Patients.This is a problem I find myself running into most of the time.I have a Cousin and 2 Friends who are Cosmetologists,but I wouldn't want 2 of them to see my Feet (Gum flappers!).
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 AM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
I have to pay what my Insurance doesn't,and this is after paying the Premium for my Insurance!.I live in "Podunk",so Drive more than 1 Hour for speciality Care.Obviously my Podiatrist felt the Neuropathy was possibly a Deficiency of B Vitamins (especially B12),or Folic Acid.Personally,I feel it is Fungus.Fungus can cause a host of Symptoms..2 of which are numbness in the extremities,and even Diabetes!Toenail Fungus comes in varying degrees,but regardless the severity,it is unsightly.I'm a younger Woman who loves wearing Flip Flops and Sandals in Spring and Summer.The Shoes are embarrassing to wear when one has Toenail Fungus.

NB: I called a Salon in Town,Yesterday Afternoon.They don't have the Massage Spa Chairs as most Salons,so they do Pedicures the old-fashioned way.I'm gonna go later Today so they can look at my Feet.They charge US$30 for Pedicures!

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 02-25-2010 at 03:27 AM.