Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Default Found some info about the new Atkins book re: Caffeine

Found this on another low-carb board today:

The book is full of other small but significant updates, again based on recent research. For example, we now know that consuming caffeine in moderation actually modestly assists fat burning. So your eight daily cups of fluid can include some coffee and other beverages in addition to water.

#################################
I personally am glad to hear this as I do like caffeine in the morning.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #2  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Height: 5'4"

Oh, that is GOOD news!!!

Wonder if it's true. (I sure hope so!)
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

About a year & a half ago, Atkins Nutritionals Inc. was advertising the new Atkins diet which permitted hash browns, oatmeal, puffed rice cereal, sourdough bread, rice pasta & baked potato's....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ead-pasta.html
They're currently advertising a "Quick Start Guide"....complete with guess what....3 Atkins bars!
Now they've got this new book coming out in a couple weeks.
Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is a company & they are running a business. The purpose of a business is to make a profit. Personally, I'll stick to what Dr. Atkins himself wrote. For me, that's pure Atkins and that's what has worked for me for almost 6 years.
I apologize if I sound cynical...but...I just don't buy their propaganda.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I agree w the skepticism of Kim regarding any products that are being sold, but coffee doesn't fall into that category.

From what I've researched there is not a really clear case for or against using moderate levels of caffeine while dieting (or at other points of life, except pregnancy). Atkins wrote about avoiding caffeine at a time when lots of diet books suggested avoiding caffeine. It's true that caffeine can trigger a modest insulin response for some people, but so can ALL artificial sweeteners, and he authorized some of those.

For me the trick is to figure out 1) how you personally react to these things and 2) what you can live with comfortably. Some people can give up caffeine no problem, some people really struggle with that. I think caffeine in or out of your diet is really fine tuning once you're able to live low-carb happily.

That said, I'll give my disclaimer that I don't claim to be an Atkins adherent. I eat carbs at levels that are very low (20-30g/day most of the time). I found low carb through science not devotion to any particular author, and that's still how I approach it.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #5  

I agree with Sarah...I believe it is more important to see how your body responds to certain things. I've stayed in ketosis while drinking coffee with Sweet-N-Low daily. Some people are really sensitive to the artificial sweeteners and other aren't. I have to be careful on the salad veggies as too much in a day can kick me out of ketosis. Guess we are all different but similar.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote