Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 03:18 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more pounds #104

If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, or are losing, then this is the group for you! Jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

Linda, thanks for the suggestion and encouragement; I had read about the Wendie plan before, but hadn't thought about it recently. I may try that! I feel like I'm getting more fit lately, because I've been walking more, but each month I keep weighing in just under my lifetime limit. Maybe the Wendie plan will give me a jumpstart! Thanks!

JOYce, glad to hear your trip is going well! I was so sorry too, that y'all couldn't make it down here this trip, but I understand; Kansas is in the opposite direction, and you only have so much time to be away from home. But we'll get together soon!

Hi Texaslady, Janet, and Carol! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Regards,
Jan
Old 08-25-2002, 04:22 PM   #2  

Hi girls!! I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but I've had a lot of things going on. First, let me say hi to Claudia. We are glad to have you here. JOYce, enjoy your trip and the wedding...I loved seeing you use Y'ALL in your previous post. Linda, enjoy your trip!! That would be so exciting to get to go to Roswell, and I'm glad that you are going to be able to join JOYce and her family for the happy day. Jan, I'm glad you and DH and dad are doing so good. Texaslady, congratulations on getting your new(old) job back. I know you had mixed feelings about leaving...and Carol, thanks for worrying about me. It sounds like you are staying very, very busy!!

This is going to have to be a quick post, but I wanted y'all to know that I'm still here and kicking...and definitely still a part of this wonderful group. Healthwise, I'm doing better. All my tests came back normal...except for the one for diabetes, so that is what we are concentrating on now. I have only had one doctor's appointment since the diagnosis, and it went great. My blood sugar was almost normal, and everything else which was fine to begin with is now even lower. My total cholesterol is almost below "low", but then it was okay the first time. My "good" cholesterol had increased a good bit, and that is really the only other thing we are trying to change. My eating was never really the problem as far as what I was eating, except I have had to really watch the carbs. I'm supposed to count carbs and keep them at a certain level, but I like following WW so much better and counting points. I'm going to have to tweak the plan so that I can still count points but watch the total carbs. Anyway, I have been feeling much better until a couple of weeks ago when I started having flu like symptoms. Of course, everybody immediately thought West Nile virus, but I don't think so. I am starting to get over whatever it was, and actually feel great today. I am going outside to mow the yard now because it feels much cooler today. It is still hot outside, but I can feel "fall" in the air...if that makes sense.

I promise to do better keeping caught up with everyone, but it seems like I'm not the only one who has been posting less lately. We will have to make an effort to get back into the routine of posting like we used to. I know...I'm a big one to talk!!

Have a wonderful week, and I will "talk" to y'all soon!!

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 08-25-2002 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:48 PM   #3  

Janet, welcome back to the fold! I am so glad to read that all of your tests came back normal, I hope that the diabetes tests will be normal also. It is good to hear that you are feeling so well today, and well enough to mow that lawn, no less. Hooray for you! Fall is my favorite time of the year, and to read that even though it is hot, you feel it "in the air," makes me want to rejoice!

Claudia, check back in with us -- how are your weigh ins going?

Jan, I think you are such a good example to me, getting all of the exercise you do. Do you still walk early in the morning before it gets hot? How is school going? And when is your next trip?

My ankle has been just great, hardly any pain at all. I am no longer wearing the walking boot, I feel so free! Just in time for our trip! My doctor is truly amazing, what a gift he has for putting people's broken bones back together.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:32 AM   #4  

Janet, it is so good to hear from you, and learn that your tests all came out so well! Like Linda, I feel like the diabetes test will also have good results. And kudos on the low cholesterol! All your work on eating healthy has paid off! I'm with you, though, on following the WW plan; it seems to work so well, and we all need *some* carbs each day! Brain food, isn't it? Though I've been reading lately that a bit more protein, esp. from dairy, is a good thing. Have you tried that great lowfat bacon, Smithfield center cut, 40% less fat? Two slices for one point; unbelievable!

Linda, I am so glad to hear that your ankle is healing so well. Sounds like you have a great doctor! But I'm sure that your own strength and perseverance were also major factors in your recovery. I've sprained my ankle (torn ligaments) twice in my life, nowhere near what you endured, and it was a really big deal for me both times. I can't even imagine how hard it was for you, and yet you've been such a trouper! How wonderful that the walking boot is off in time for your trip to Oklahoma!
Re: school, thanks for asking, it's going great. Wonderful kids. Our new principal seems like a really nice guy, bright too, though my heart goes out to him re: his weight, probably 350+. Having been so heavy myself (gee, why can't I use the term "morbidly obese"? I was...) I can empathize with him so much. He's still very young, though, and hopefully will be able to overcome it.
Re: trips, other than Labor Day weekend when Dad, dh and I are staying on the Riverwalk, it'll be Thanksgiving before we go anywhere. The whole family (Dad, dh, both sisters, d-b-i-l, and I) will go on a short Caribbean cruise to celebrate Dad's 86th birthday. For many years, Dh and I've given a big family party (cousins, etc., like 50+ people) here, but this year we're just treating ourselves to some family time together. Dad's idea. Can't wait!
Re: the walking, yep, have been doing at least 2 miles each morning, 3 miles this morning. Some people make fun of me (like at church this morning) but it doesn't bother me. I'm getting a little faster too, though I won't win any races; a fast walk/jog is fine with me. I can remember when I first started, and a half mile in 30 minutes got me winded! Now I pass that mailbox before the first song on my iPod has finished playing. This whole journey has been *so* worth it; I feel like a kid again.

Did I tell y'all about the ww mtg yesterday? It was so great. You see, the week before, our leader had mentioned that I'd lost 100 pounds. (Leaders like to point out the lifetimers there, because it helps validate the program, I guess.) So, there was this lovely lady, has about 50 pounds to lose, who spoke up in the mtg yesterday and said that she had had a hard week (starting school, a teacher like me) and was about to give up, but didn't because of me. Boy, did that feel good! She's on her fourth week, and doing well. Two people made lifetime yesterday; cool! If that doesn't inspire me to reach my personal goal, I don't know what will!

Hope everyone has a great week! Texaslady, let us hear from you! Carol, thanks for the email! Claudia, let us hear from you, no matter how things are going; we're on your side! We're all in the same boat.
Sorry to be so long-winded!
Regards,
Jan
Old 08-26-2002, 12:45 AM   #5  

Jan, don't apologize for being "long winded," as you put it, your email was fun to read. I wonder if you will ever get a chance to talk to the new principal about WW? Hope an opportunity will come up. I am so impressed that the lady who was about to drop out of the WW meetings is staying because of the great loss you have had! That is just wonderful! Your upcoming cruise to celebrate your Dad's birthday sounds like a lot of fun, you must have a very nice family. You seem to have truly embraced a healthy lifestyle with your eating habits and your constant exercise. Just think how much your heart must appreciate this!

I am getting so anxious to leave on our trip! We're taking 10 gallons of drinking water with us, I don't want to run out before we return. I have had that experience on trips before, and it is no fun. I am so particular about my water, and can't find the kind we drink anywhere but right here in town.

We had a pot roast for dinner tonight and it was sooo salty. I am feeling very bloaty. Does anyone have any advice for a certain brand of diuretic I could take? I'm thinking about buying some Diurex or something like that tomorrow. Does anyone ever use this type of thing?
Old 08-28-2002, 10:36 AM   #6  

Hi Linda! Hope you have a great time on your trip! Re: Diurex, I'm afraid I haven't tried that. Have occasionally used fiber stuff like Metamucil, but I don't think that's the same type of thing. Hope you're feeling better now ..

Has anyone read that book by Covert Bailey, "Fit or Fat"? He talks about body fat percentages, enzymes, how the muscles burn fat, how the fat cells work ... it's fascinating! His main point is that moderate, steady exercise changes our body chemistry in all these amazing ways, which helps us to lose weight and keep it off. I rank it right up there with Volumetrics and Thin for Life as one of the best fitness books I've ever read. I borrowed his video from the library after reading the book, and that was also very worth watching. The more I read, the more I'm convinced (as if I'd need any more convincing!) that the Weight Watchers program is THE best one around. The Program is right in line with all the research being done on fitness. Just thought I'd share that ...

Regards,
Jan
Old 08-28-2002, 11:33 AM   #7  

Hi, Jan! I think I might have the book by Covert Bailey, "Fit or Fat." I read it long ago, and from your recommendation, I should probably take it off the shelf, dust it off, and reread it. I'm afraid that I am not making any headway in trying to lose my 15 pounds I need to in order to get back down to goal. It seems to me that I am feeling very impatient; if I'm OP for four or five days in a row and I don't see the scale move, I feel frustrated and discouraged, and I go back to my "old" (read: bad) eating habits. I know that isn't the way to do it, that this is one step at a time, and it will take a while to see any results. I am now out of my walking boot, so when we get home from our trip I think I'll go back to the WW meetings, maybe that's the only way I'll get this excess poundage off. I need to get a good attitude (such as yours) going again.

Texaslady, how's the job going?

I have really missed JOYce's daily emails in my inbox, and we are looking forward to getting together with her and her family this coming weekend at the wedding festivities. Dh even asked me a couple of days ago, "how are you doing without hearing from JOYce several times during the day?"
Old 08-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #8  
Inchworm

Default Me again...

We just got back to OK today..dh has to go with the groom and his groomsmen tonight for the tux fitting.
We are all ready to head for California on Sunday! It has been a long 2 weeks with 5 of us traveling together, but we have seen marvelous things, discovered FABulous things about our family histories, tromped thru a cupla cemetaries and more.
We hope to find time tomorrow to visit the OK memorial.
I miss being on the computer and being able to e-mail every day.
Not that it is addictive or anything
But I will have the puter fixed ASAP after we get home.
Sad news: My younger sis has been diagnosed with lung cancer since we left on this trip. I'm going to go see her the first weekend we are home. She lives 200 miles in the other direction from home. She starts her chemo tomorrow. She has a fantastic attitude about the whole thing, doesn't want anybody feeling sorry for her or being sad about it since she brought it on herself by smoking for 40 yrs. She feels like she can be an inspiration to others, showing them that they can be positive in bad situations. She already has caused a co-worker to quit smoking.
Now look who is long winded and hasn't even caught up with any of your news.....sorry....must get back with the group...time here is short.

Looking forward to seeing Linda tomorrow!

more later.

Last edited by gmalil; 08-29-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:17 PM   #9  

JOYce, I am so sorry to hear about your sister's illness! I hope that they caught it soon enough and can treat it successfully. I'm sure that her positive attitude and family support will be major factors in her recovery! Hope you are still able to enjoy the remainder of your trip; can't wait to hear more about it! Have a safe journey back home tomorrow!

Linda, I guess you're in Oklahoma now, getting ready for tonight's big event! Have a lovely time! Re: the WW meetings, that sounds like a good idea. I really miss them when I have to skip a week, and it seems like I don't do as well then, too. I know they say it's harder to lose when you're close to goal like we are, but I guess we'll have to be patient and keep the faith! We'll get there! Have a great trip ...

Hi to Texaslady, Janet, Carol, and Claudia! Hope you're having a great Labor Day Weekend. What is everyone doing to celebrate the end of summer?
Regards,
Jan
Old 08-31-2002, 05:11 PM   #10  

HI GIRLS!!

I guess that you figured I had dropped off the edge of the earth or something. But, in reality, the modem on my computer went out a few weeks ago - probably during one of those really bad rain storms we had through here. I just have not had time to go get a new one until today and I have spend most of the rest of the day trying to get the darn thing to work. But it appears I have finally been successful and am back on line!

Joyce & Linda - I know you are having a wonderful time at the wedding this week-end. I just LOVE weddings - but you guys know that, don't you?

Joyce - So sorry to hear of your sister's illness. I pray that she will not have a difficult time with the chemo and that she will beat this thing. You know, my mother has smoked for more than 60 years - but she quit when she had a heart attack about 10 years ago. They say that once you quit smoking, your body really does throw off a lot of the damage smoking created. Guess that's true for Mom. She is still plugging along pretty good for her 87 years.

Janet - Glad to hear you are doing better. I wish you wouldn't stay away so long - I miss your posts. I shouldn't talk about staying away - but I have an excuse, sort of. I tried to connect through my work computer but the site wouldn't recognize me or my passwork. I sent an e-mail to the 3fc web coordinator but was never answered. Oh well -

Jan - Hopefully dh's surgery will go smoothly and he will feel better. I know he has been having trouble for some time now. You mentioned you were staying on the riverwalk this week-end. I would imagine it is just as hot there as it is here - but a nice, cool margarita should help cool things off considerably! I assume dh will have his procedure in San Antonio - are you planning to just stay there for a few days until he can come home again?

I am back at my "new" old job now and I think I have finally passed over the learning curve and feel a little more comfortable with what I am doing now. It was all so new to me at first, but at least now most of the puzzle pieces are fitting together. It is like I never left - Gosh, I really do love some of the folks there!!

Gosh, has it been HOT here!!! Tomorrow may be September but I doubt we will see any cool temperatures for at least another month. So far no hurricanes - keeping my fingers crossed they just don't come way this year. Although we could use the rain. Even with the storms we had a couple weeks ago, we are still behind our normal rain amounts.

Claudia - Welcome aboard. I hope you will stay in touch with us and let us know how are you doing on your weight loss journey. This is a wonderful group of ladies and I bet we can help you along the way.

Guess I will go. My other chore for this week-end (other than to get the modem) is to get out all my homecoming mum stuff and get the displays up. Can't believe it's that time already. I am dog-sitting, too. DD and sil went to Austin for a few days vacation but they called last night and said they would be home a day earlier than planned. It seems they didn't figure the University of Texas' first football game into their calculations. DD said they were so many people everywhere that they couldn't even get in anyplace to eat dinner. The game is today and I guess everyone was gathering last night. They planned to head out this am and come on back home.

Better go for now. I have rambled on enough. Hope everyone had a marvelous holiday week-end.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:59 PM   #11  

Joyce, I am so sorry to hear about your sister! She is in my prayers. Her positive attitude should go a long way to help her!
Carol
Old 09-02-2002, 09:29 PM   #12  

Hi! My name is Kristi and I really hope that you will welcome me to your group. I have about 80 pounds to lose. The problem is that when I try to diet I get really overwhelmed that I have so much to lose, that I give up really easy. I have followed the ww plan many times and sad to say I give up really easy. Well this time I am not letting anything get in my way. With your help I know I can do it. I am not going to the ww meetings. I have a real phobia of not losing weight and them knowing it. Therefore I throw my diet off on purpose, that way if I plateau and not lose I have a reason. I know that sounds really stupid. When I try doing the ww plan at home without going to meetings I dont do well because I have no accountability. So here I am. I am going to do this at home, but I will have you to be accountable to. So if I dont sound too much like a lost cause I would love to be in your group.

I am restarting tomorrow. I know this will be the time I succeed.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:06 PM   #13  

Hi Kristi! Welcome to the group! We are always glad to have new members. I know what you mean about getting overwhelmed at first, but take it just one day (or even one meal) at a time, and set some smaller goals along the way. It sounds like you are really determined to follow through, which is what it takes, so I just know you'll make it! Think of your prior experiences as just that: experience that you can build on to make your journey successful. Re: sabotaging ourselves, no, that doesn't sound stupid at all; I'll bet we've all done that! I know I have. Recognizing that we do it is the first step toward change, though, and it sounds like you are heading in the right direction!

Texaslady, good to hear from you! Sorry your modem broke; that's so frustrating, I know. Re: dh's surgery, yes, will be staying in SA a few nights, though not on the Riverwalk this time! (Had a fun weekend; even took the little riverboat ride, which we haven't done in ages. Dad had a great time. Afraid I went over points more than a little, though!)

Hi to Carol, JOYce, Linda, Janet, & Claudia! Have a great week!
Jan
Old 09-03-2002, 08:31 PM   #14  

Thank you for your encouraging words. I did okay today, not great but hey it was better than yesterday. It is at least a step in the right direction. Thank you for being so kind, I will really need that along the way.

Thanks,
Kristi
Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 AM   #15  

Kristi, glad you had a good Tuesday! Each one of those steps in the right direction gets you closer to your goal; we can only do this one step at a time. Way to go!
Closed Thread