Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Default Wrist trouble: pushups?

I wanted to get some variety along with my cardio (doing mostly elliptical and hiking) so I bought some yoga videos and yesterday started the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred video.

This morning I woke up with some numbness in my index and 3rd finger of my right hand and my thumb sometimes is trembling a bit. Also some tingling in the two last fingers and up and down the outside of my hand and upper arm (which I have had before and vaguely associate with shoulder exercises - front raises?). I would like to find out what is likely to have caused this in the video so I can drop it out or modify it. Does anyone have experience? Upper body in the video includes:

pushups (I did knee ones)
rows with weights
lying-down flys with weights
extended front arm raises with weights
standing press-ups with weights (don't remember if this the right name)

I don't know if this is caused by a wrist pinch or a shoulder pinch. I did realize that I had too-heavy weights (4kg/8lb) and did the moves without weights after the first set.

I started practicing pushups on my kitchen countertop a few weeks ago because I can't do a "real" pushup and have trouble holding the downward dog in yoga, and didn't have this problem before. But I don't have to bend my wrists the same way in countertop pushups, and the video made me do more than I usually do.

Susanne

Last edited by bronzeager; 02-14-2010 at 03:07 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I'm not sure this is going to be much help but when I did P90x I had soreness in my wrists, but not like you discribe. I tried the pushup 'stands' but they didn't help. I got a suggestion to do the pushups on your closed fists while keeping your wrists straight, weight is on the parts of the fingers where we wear our rings. Hope that helps.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Thanks, I will try that, if my fingers are strong enough. I will try the video again and leave out each exercise separately and see if I can figure out it. Maybe it wasn't even the video and I just happened to sleep funny that night...
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #4  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

I have this problem too. Going to get some push up bars today to see if that helps.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote