PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #1  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Smile Pcos February Wl Support

Hello and Welcome All to the PCOS WL Support February 2010 Thread!

This thread is about PCOS and Weight Loss Support. If you have PCOS, or think you might, or know anybody that might have it, or your just curious or you just think we are totally awesome, so you just wanna chat with us, please join us!

Losing weight with PCOS is like trying to rollerskate up an icy hill. With all the wonderful lovely side effects, extra facial and body hair, skin tags, dark skin patches, weight gain, etc, etc, etc........

Everybody is whether you are trying to conceive or not!

Some come on in, get a cupa whatever and join us in a chat.

Last edited by Nicoyaangel; 02-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #2  
HE'S my motivation!

Hey ladies. I know I am starting this thread late but better late then never
Bought me some running shoes & I plan to use them. My sister is always running miles upon miles so I plan to join her. Can't wait to someday run in something. That would be fun!!

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!! It's beautiful out here in California considering the rainy weather we have had all week.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194.5/194.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi! I love your description.... rollerskating up an icy hill If I don't laugh about it, I'll just cry!!!! LOL

I just found this site, but I've been struggling to lose weight for the last 2 years.... I've managed to eke out about 20 lbs, but have quite a few more to go!!!!

I look forward to getting to know the rest of you fellow "cysters"

Dawn
Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

newbie here to the boards but not to PCOS. Hi!

A.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #5  
HE'S my motivation!

Welcome Dab52776 & Astrophe!!!

Actually another person posted that opening on another thread and I thought it was cute so I copied it since. I think it's a great way to explain why it's so hard to lose weight. It sucks!!

Well I ran 1.55 miles yesterday. Well, ran for 2 minutes & walked for 1. My sister is an awesome motivator. Can't believe I didn't work out with her before.

Wish you all the best on ur WL journey! If you have any tips please share
Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #6  

Great workout Nicoyaangel

I wish that I had some tips. One thing that I read was that with PCOS it's more important to do cardio workouts than weights. Just this week I started a routine that includes walking/ jogging and pilates. I'm hoping this will help me lose some of the flab. Does anyone else have any experience or thoughts on the cardio/ weights debate for us pcosers???

Have a great day girls!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #7  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Dab- My RE says that weights are better for PCOS patients because they build muscle to burn fat round the clock. She says that a cardio only workout is not very beneficial. HOWEVER, my experience is that I need about 1/2 & 1/2 to lose on the scale. So, I think it is very individual as far as results go. Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #8  

Heather... first of all, congrats on breaking the 250 mark
And, thanks for your input. I know that for "normal" women, weight training is recommended to build muscle, with in turn burns more calories. With our increased testosterone, do you get bulky doing that? I know for me, I can tell that my legs get bigger when I try to do heavy, muscle building weights. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to see if the pilates and cardio alone change my body in a positive way.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #9  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Dab- Thank you! It was a HUGE milestone for me!

I have not bulked up at all. But, I typically do many reps of a lighter weight as opposed to a few reps of a heavy weight.

I have done a lot of my own research and have decided that what works for one, will probably not work for all. I guess that is just the nature of this condition. I will be very interested to see how pilates and cardio works out for you. Keep me updated!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #10  
HE'S my motivation!

Hello my new found friends!!!

I woke up the next day after my run & oh man were my thighs hating me. LOL but yesterday I went walking & today I am going running with my sister again. Also, one thing I started doing (which I don't know I didn't think of it before) was a journal. My goal is to write in it everyday about my exercise routine that day & how I felt about it. Nothing personal unless I feel it affected me in some way. But even if I fall off the wagon I am going to write in it & that way I can read it later and motivate myself by using well .... Myself LOL. I love love writing so I thought it would be a great tool. When I finally reach my goal weight it will be great to go back and read it. That way I can continue working out just to maintain my weight & stay healthy.

As for the cardio and weight machines - back when I had lost 30 lbs a friend and I actually did both the weights and cardio. It really does depend on the person but I feel both played it's part in helping lose that 30lbs. Unfortunately, stress played it's part in bringing it back BUT I am on my way to lose those 30lbs and more.

Glad so many more women are coming on here. It's great motivation to read all your posts. Especially on those lazy rainy days. Just remember even if it's pouring cats & dogs outside you are still inside and can workout just as well. Jumping jacks during commercials, squats during commercials are very good.

Alright must get going. I will be on later today or even tomorrow. Have a wonderful day ladies!!

Last edited by Nicoyaangel; 02-10-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #11  

Hi Girls!
Nicoyaangel... Journaling is a great idea! I have an online journal on another forum, and it is helpful to be accountable to writing everything down!

I had a great workout today... good treadmill walk/ jog. Unfortunately life has been stressful lately and I've been turning to food I have to get to the grocery store and stock up on some healthy foods.... hopefully on Saturday!!!

Have a great Friday!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #12  
HE'S my motivation!

Dab - I used to do online but now that I do everything on my phone I just decided to write in a journal. I find writing relaxing.

I went to my Vet today and I jump on their scale to weigh myself (I was bored in the waiting room LOL) I lost 3lbs in one week. I am super happy. I am in the 230s. Now I need to get into the 220s.

I plan to go running today with my sister & walking tomorrow with my dog.

Hope everyone is doing well
Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #13  
HE'S my motivation!

Well, I didn't go running today BUT I did go walking with my boyfriend and my dog. Walked 3 miles & it feels really good. Tomorrow we are going back to do another 3 miles. Can't wait! Going running Monday with my sister. She is running 9 miles tomorrow. She is currently training for a 1/2 marathon. I am so proud of her! She is thin as a stick lol but I'm still a proud little sister.

Ok I'm home. Hope you all have a good night and awesome Valentines Day!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #14  
resident lactivist

Hi ladies, thought I would join in here. I'm not new to PCOS or to weight loss, but it's been a while since I participated on this board, or kept track of my eating, so I lost a lot of ground.

As to the cardio/weights issue...I lift heavy compared to other women, but I haven't had a single issue with bulking up. That's gonna be my only contribution there, 'cause I hate cardio with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

I am TTC...You'd think with three kids I wouldn't get all worked up about it, but I can tell the PCOS is acting up again--all the side effects have jumped back on me. I've a new crop of skin tags and chin hairs (and WTHeck is it with these chin hairs where they're almost impossible to pluck?), and my cycles are getting wonky again. Nothing like a 33 day cycle following two 28-day cycles (which followed a 32, 30, etc) to ramp up the baby hopes before stomping on them, right? Still, even 33 days is nothing compared to the 50 or 60-day cycles of old, much less that monster 120+ day cycle way back when...
Old 02-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #15  
HE'S my motivation!

Welcome Back GreatBigMonsterMomma!!! I know what you mean. I'm TTC also and I just started tracking my cycles. Had a 15 day cycle. Now waiting to see how long this next one is. Thebdr said to try for about a year before she puts me on anything. I'm giving it 6 months and back I go. By then I hope to be at a decent weight or already be pregnant LOL

Happy Valentines Day to all!!

I'm going on a double date with my guy best friend and his new girlfriend. Can't wait! Still planning to go walking afterwards. My day off was Friday which I should have switched for today but didn't think about it so eh! I'll go forthr 3 mile walk. Anybody have any plans for today? Oh and Happy Chinese New Year!! Can't forget that. And Happy Presidents Day! (Wish I had the day off :-/)

Ok off to get ready! Chat with you all later
Closed Thread