Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Healthy weight and waist to hip ratio

What is the waist to hip ratio of some of you maintainers?
I've still got a pretty unhealthy one... 33" waist, 39" hips (.85). Apparently .85 puts you at high risk for diseases... I love how I'm thin now and still at "high risk for diseases." I'm really thin too! According to sizing charts my waist is a size 16 and my hips are a size 10... but pants always seem to correspond to my hips, so I wear a size 10.
What about you guys? Anyone else here got a terrible waist to hip ratio like me?

Last edited by megwini; 02-04-2010 at 04:53 PM.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I think usually with the waist to hip ratio they are looking for how much abdominal fat you have. If you are thin, but you just have a more rectangular figure, I don't think that necessarily means you have more abdominal fat. I always got the impression that it was used more like, if you are overweight, AND your WTH ratio is bad, then you are more likely to have diseases.

I don't remember my measurements off the top of my head but I'll look them up when I get home.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #3  
Mel

I think Jessica is absolutely correct. I'm not sure what mine is, but it's probably pretty high also.

OK, I just measured and calculated: it is .8 which is the very highest of the low risk category. My shape is rectangular and my body fat is low- I have visible abs with a lot of quad and shoulder definition.

What I don't have is a waist! I can't wear pants that hit at the waist because then they are HUGE in the butt and hips.

No matter what the charts say, they are based on a statistical sampling of the population, and within any category there are going to be individuals who fall at either end of the bell curve.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

My waist is 27.5 and hips 36.5 (about 0.75-0.76).

Where are you measuring your waist? You should waist at the smallest part (a couple inches above the navel).
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #5  
Meg

Where we measure has a lot to do with the numbers. I measure at the smallest part of my waist and biggest part of my butt because it's easiest, but I'm not sure if that's the correct way. I also was wondering where you're measuring?

At my heaviest, my waist was 39 inches and my hips were 57 inches, giving me a very healthy waist to hip ratio of .68. But seriously, it wasn't healthy at all! All it meant was that I had a very unhealthy amount of fat stored in my belly, but an even more enormous amount of fat on my hips. I don't think having a lot of hip/butt fat cancels out the dangers of belly fat.

It's probably more useful to look at overall waist measurement and I think it's supposed to be under 32 inches for a woman (and 35 for a man) but I've seen a lot of different numbers.

For what it's worth, my waist to hip measurement is now .75, so it looks like I've become more unhealthy as I've lost weight, if we go by ratios.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Another measurement of 'healthy' waist size is that you waist should be half your height (or less). This measurement at least takes account of the large variations in height, so the OP at 70" tall would be considered healthy with a waist measurement of 33".

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote