Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Default The Deep End

May 2005: 4 years...9 months...23 days...

ago, I went to the pool for the last time.

What made me stop going? I'm not too sure, I went from consistently placing 1st and 2nd on the swim team in medleys, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle, anywhere from 50m to 200m to being completely afraid of even approaching the poolside. I once lived for water, I would have gladly given Ariel my legs for her fins. The team swimsuits were adorable (they looked like water!!) I was having fun and I was fitting in and I was stable for once!

And then it all stopped. I moved to a town that had a "fun" outdoor pool, not a serious olympic sizer and I lost the one physical activity that I was ever even marginally ok at. That was way back when I was 5'7 and a very healthy 115lbs (BMI 18).

Enter my weight gain and hidden fear of swimming! I didn't actually realize it until now, but everytime someone mentioned anything to do with swimming or bathing suits, I flipped out and found a way to get out of whatever it was! Even, when I was in Arizona...during the summer time! Jeesh!

I have been seeing my diabetes nurse frequently and she suggested that because of my knee problems (and having to wait another probably 18 months to get knee surgery done...) that I should take up swimming or aquaerobics as a safe form of exercise for my knees. I've been waiting for 3 months pondering on and off about it and then...

Today...today, yes today! I got into the pool for the first time in nearly 5 years!!! I wore my one piece with pride (despite it was a full house apart from our lesson, which was just me and another lady alongside the instructor...lil bit embarrassing there...) and I did the whole 45 minute session and I LOVED it! I only noticed people staring at me once, and it didn't even bother me that much because I was having too much fun!

My session was called "AquaFit" and basically, we jogged about in the water, doing different stretches and squats and leg extensions and stuff, then we moved onto these wicked foam disc things, that gave LOADS of resistance to the workout. We then got out those foam kiddy "noodle" toys and tied them into a pretzel knot and pushed them down into the water, swung them from side to side and HOLY CROW...it was kinda hard!! Last thing we did was work on abs by doing "crunches" in water whilst holding ourselves up against the wall of the pool.

Honest to bob, the best workout I've ever had! I cannot believe how much fear I had surrounding getting back into the water and today I didn't even want to get out!! I wanted to stay for hours and just jog around the perimeter of the pool! My thread title is a bit misleading as the pool was only 1.5 meters (just under 5 ft) deep, but still!! I think I will definitely be doing this once a week from now on!!

Highly recommend this sort of program for anyone with joint problems or pain!

I just really had to share with someone! ^_______^

Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Good for you. I'll bet once you started moving around in that water, and warmed up, and lost your self-consciousness, it felt like coming home. Water is such a comforting element to me, too -- like a heavy, soft blanket or maybe because when moving through it I feel like a housecat being petted all over. I love the weightlessness of it. I'm a ballerina balancing effortlessly & full of grace in water, even if I am nothing of the sort on land.

I just took up swimming again myself after not doing it for more than 20 years. I'm at the point now where I am doing laps. I can't believe how I have to hang onto the side of the pool after each length. The teacher says if I would improve my breathing, I would not have that problem.

In the meantime, there are women who are at my heaviest weight & well beyond, swimming alongside me like fishes, flip-turning like they are on the varsity, going & going. I admire them so much. I have asked & gotten pointers from them. I think the water is incredibly equalizing. I do not think anyone looks at these strong swimmers & thinks anything of their weight or their bathing suit, or anything except what strong swimmers they are.

Again, I am soooo glad you have come back to the pool.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote