Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Spring Clothes Shopping 2010

Last edited by Meg; 12-13-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

I am still trying to purchase only essentialitemsright now-a couple of shirts, dress pants etc. I don't want to invest into buying a new wardrobe until probably mid April. I am going back to work at the end of April so I hope to have a new body and a new wardrobe for it. I'll be a hude reward for getting rid of these extra pounds. I do however go shopping regularly to stay atop of new styles and trends for the upcoming seasons. I don't want to invest a lot now in a clothing that will be too big in a couple of months....
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #3  
Meg

Summer, clothes shopping was my big reward for weight loss too. And it's a big part of what keeps me at my goal weight, even though that might sound vain and weird. I just love all my little clothes!

Like you, I didn't want to buy anything on the way down since I was changing sizes monthly. So I begged and borrowed clothes from my sisters and friends and just made do. I remember when I had (literally) two pairs of pants and one skirt that fit me. And my closet echoed.

What have you seen in the stores lately that you really like? Any ideas for what you might buy for the new job?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #4  
No description available.

Cute jacket, Meg!

My problem is that I live in scrubs and workout clothes. And t-shirts that reflect the kids' various sports and activities. I dress like my 17 yo. She's fabulous of course.....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hummm...Midwife, should we be nominating you for "What not to Wear"?

I'm so looking forward to spring/summer clothes shopping. Matter of fact I recently got a part time job, (Out of the house, not at a des,k and NOT in my home office ) Just to help supplement my new passion. I'm digging the new color pallet Meg describes...love all those colors. Even though I'm a hazel eyed brunette, I think I look pretty good in vibrant blue...and magenta. I'm heading to Lincoln this weekend with Penney's coupon in hand. I'm really hoping that this year I can find some "sun dresses" with a bit of sleeve, (yeah, I'm a dork with flabby arms)
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #6  
Meg

Great idea to nominate Midwife for WNTW!

A few year's ago, I sent an email to the show nominating the whole Maintainers forum but never heard back. Sigh.

Lori, what I do with sundresses is to wear a light summer cardigan over them, mostly because I'm always cold if I have bare arms. Try something like a short-sleeved, white crocheted cardigan and it should goes with almost any sundress. Or a lightweight knit. Then you won't feel self-conscious about your arms.

I bought a couple of the ankle length sundresses last summer and am hoping they'll still be in style.

Be sure to report back about your shopping trip!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Right now my work "uniform" is mockneck, fleece hoodie, parka on top, tights, fleece pants and Gortex windpants on bottom. Runners or boots complete the look, along with a fanny pack in front and about 5-7 dog leashes around my neck. Tres chic eh? I'm a shoo-in for WNTW.

I am limiting this year's shopping to mostly virtual shopping (I buy everything on the net anyway when I have money). It looks like DH will be working part-time for ANOTHER TWO YEARS!!!!! So there will be a minimal clothing budget for me.

I already spent about $400 at Eddie Bauer. Put all the stuff in my virtual shopping bag and then took it right out again. My closet is full of stuff I never wear (I have at least 6 pairs of "virgin" shoes that haven't left the house yet) so I think my shopping will be in my own closet this spring.

The colour palette sounds right up my alley though. I hope you all enjoy looking at all the bright colours and that they bring spring to us all soon!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I am so looking forward to some seriously HOT weather! Last week I found a sleeveless, white (crazy I know) lined sheath dress at the Salvation Army w/ tags for $4.75. It has a slit at the neckline and matte silver grommets at an empire waistline so that I can add my own ribbon--in any color! I'm hoping to find some really cute wedges in a crazy colorful pattern. I'll probably have to take the dress in, but I used to be a tailor, so no trouble there.

My budget is very limited as DH was laid off last week, but I think I can squeak out a little here and there. I love shopping especially clearance, thrift and garage sales!

While I was losing, my girlfriends joked that they were going to call WNTW on me. Because I had such a hard time committing to buying anything. I couldn't tell if any clothes fit or looked good on me. They would give me "shopping assignments". I would have to email photos of myself in my newly purchased clothing to them in completion of my assignments. Obviously I don't have that problem any more.

Last edited by losermom; 02-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Hummm...Midwife, should we be nominating you for "What not to Wear"?
ROFL! Please make sure to ping me with the date when the episode will wear, I would not want to miss it !
I haven't bought anything for spring yet. In fact, I am not even thinking about spring. If you live in s-w Ontario, spring is, at the beginning of February, such a remote prospect like Halloween in August.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #10  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Macys: The colors for spring were a lot of magnetas, purples of all shades, pinks, bright yellow, and peacock blue. Last year seemed to be corals, oranges, and greens, so the color palette has definitely shifted. It just lifted my spirits up to look around at all the bright colors.

I didn't see any really different trends in styles. There were a lot of colorful floral prints but maybe that's just because of spring coming. Nothing seemed very dramatic or exaggerated.

With clearance prices at 70% off and another 20% off that, how could I resist? I even found a hot pink jeans jacket. Too bad I have to wait until Saturday to pick it up.

I would love to hear about anyone’s shopping finds.
I already had plans to shop at Macys later this week.
Thanks for the Heads Up.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
If you live in s-w Ontario, spring is, at the beginning of February, such a remote prospect like Halloween in August.
Alena. Spring is so far off my radar it's not funny! However, I have been looking for a new bathing suit (for swimming laps at the pool). My old one is way too big, and very worn besides. I have a really small one that probably fit the day I bought it and hasn't since. Sigh. I ordered one from Lands End, and their idea of DD cup is wayyyy different than my "girls." They were pushed up under my chin and yet compressed at the same time - truly a weird fit. I need to try suits on in person, and they're not in the stores here yet.

Since I'm retiring in the spring (58 more work days!) I don't need to buy work clothes and I have a ton of short sleeved t-shirts (work ones, no logos) and lightweight jeans/slacks, so I'm pretty well set - but you never know, I might need some new shoes (my real passion!).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Since I'm retiring in the spring (58 more work days!) I don't need to buy work clothes and I have a ton of short sleeved t-shirts (work ones, no logos) and lightweight jeans/slacks, so I'm pretty well set - but you never know, I might need some new shoes (my real passion!).
A passion I share! I went surfing on both Shoebuy and Zappos last night. I am going to do my actual shopping in my closet. I know I have several pairs of shoes I bought last year and didn't get to wear. I find that, if I don't buy my sandals in February the ones I want are always gone by spring!

Dagmar ( it's snowing!)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote