Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/135/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Why no onions?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but does any one know why we "can't" have any onions, other than green onions? I meant to ask my counsellor but forgot...

Thanks!
katwmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

Hi! Don't apologize for asking a question. I was told that onions have a lot of sugar in them. I sure miss my salsa!
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/135/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Helen. I LOVE onions, so that will be tough.

I did do some research and onions are one of the few foods out there that can actually LOWER your blood glucose levels...so I wonder if that may have something to do with it as well...low blood sugar can make you want to eat more to compensate...just a thought.

I did go off program a touch today - made some air popcorn with ICBINB Spray and some Mrs. Dash...could have been worse!!

Last edited by katwmn1; 01-30-2010 at 11:39 PM.
katwmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #4  

Katwmn,
This is one of the strangest diets I have ever been on. I still remember going through the orientation and they said no gel toothpaste, no mouthwash with alcohol. I have always been a calorie counter in the past where vegetables were basically freebies so no onions or salsa hurt. I didn't think I could stick with this diet but after the first week I really committed to it. Since then I am not really hungry and don't have any cravings. I am a carb lover and believe this low carb diet has stopped my cravings for the most part. Yeah I have the occasional craving but it passes and isn't like in the past where I felt I just HAD to eat something. Though popcorn is a healthier choice and fine on many diets, I think it will increase your cravings on this diet plan. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.8/122.8/129

Height: 5'6"

Why no salsa? Oops, I made turkey breast bugers this week and added 2 tablespoons of low sodium salsa to 1 lbs of turkey, so it added 5 calories to the burgers. They were great. How about low sodium teriyaki is that allowed? I just assumed since it was low carbs, calories, fat, and sodium we were ok. Thanks for the info on the onions! This is an odd diet but it is working.
Ooh La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #6  

Salsa has onions in it. I suppose you could make your own with the green onions they allow. My center told me not to look at calories but to look at fat, carbs, sodium and sugar. The handout they gave me when I joined says 1 serving of salad dressing or liquid condiment per meal up to twice a day. That is not very much!! Item must have less than: 2 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs, (my center added this one 2 grams of sugar) and be low in sodium. I was going crazy with the 0 calorie butter spray and they told me only one serving because it could slow down my weight loss. Check the sugar in your teriyaki sauce. I bought their cook book and it said McCormick's low sodium taco seasoning is ok so I have been using that to jazz up my chicken. I don't miss the salt since I started using a variey of Mrs Dash's products.

The rules all sound so bizarre but as of my last weigh in on 1/29 I have lost 14.5 pounds since 12/27 so I am happy.