Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 AM   #1  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Default Bad veins?

I had some blood drawn for a thyroid test last friday, and the phlebotomist was apparently the most skilled in the hospital that day (so she said), but she was very frustrated because my veins were so "bad"...

First she tried my arm, but couldn't get any blood out. She moved the needle around inside the arm, which was uncool.

Then she said it might be easier to go through the back of the hand. I said ok, since that's normally how they do it. So she tried BOTH and neither gave any blood. She also moved the needle inside the hand (at which point I told her to please stop...)

So then, frustrated, she tried the side of my elbow. Yes, the side of my elbow. Apparently there is a superficial vein there. Well she collapsed it. It's been bruised severely all week. Oh yeah, and she didn't get any blood.

I said, ok, I'm going to go. She said wait, she'd try the last resort but it (always) works. I'm thinking what, like drawing right from my heart?! Close. She drew from my wrist. With a big needle. She was all out of the smallest ones. But I wanted to get this done and leave because it was too hard to reschedule. So I said fine.

She barely got enough blood for the test before the vein stopped giving.

She kept saying I had the worst veins she's ever seen, and she said she had 20 years experience at drawing blood. I was very polite and patient... I dunno.

I have low (but normal) blood pressure, I'm big, yes, but I literally saw her draw blood right before me from a lady much larger than I am, and she had no problems at all. I have had blood drawn recently (~3 months ago) with no problems at all through the back of the hand.

What causes "bad veins"? Was this just a very bad phlebotomist or is this something I should bring up with my doctor?
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #2  

This is my speciality!! Do not fear....you do not have "bad" veins. Several circumstances can lead to difficult blood draws or IV starts. Overweight people are definately more of a challenge simply due to the fact that vessels are deeper and usually hard to palpate. I use ultrasound in my practice to locate vessels on overweight people. Trust me...your veins are there!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Were you dehydrated? It's doubtful you have "bad" veins - more likely the phlebotomist was having a bad day or you were cold or dry or nervous or any number of things that can make your superficial veins contract.

Drawing blood from your heart - never. Having other people try, warming up your arm, a few dozen things I could think of... Next time make sure you are well hydrated and warm and ask for someone else!
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #4  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Hugs! I know how much that stinks - my veins are very small and buried deep, plus I have low blood pressure. So far, they've disqualified me from medical studies and led the Red Cross to ask me to find another way to help besides attempting to give blood. I just hope I'm never seriously injured and need IVs!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I have small "rolling" veins, so I hear ya! That vamp was NOT the most skilled in the hospital. I've had people tell me that, then take five to six sticks to get a vein before they blow it. It might or might not be related to your weight. I had tough-to-get veins even when I was thin.

Always come super-hydrated, always ball your fist and always always always ask for the smallest needle possible. My vamps have to use a baby butterfly, as the larger needles instantaneously blow my vein.

If possible (which it might not be), next time, ask for an anesthesiologist to draw your blood. I desperately needed a blood test at the hospital, and none of the vamps, nurses...not even my own doctor could get the vein. The anasth. finally came in and got it on the first try!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Even at a normal weight I have never, in my life, had someone easily find one of my veins. Every time I've EVER had blood drawn or gotten an IV, it has taken 3 or more (VERY PAINFUL) tries to make it work. If I have to have any blood test, I expect to be bruised all over for weeks, that's just how it works for me. I always drink a lot of water beforehand in hopes that it will help.

Obviously it's worse if the person doing it is not very good at it... but I've had people try 2 or 3 times then call in "the expert" who then takes 2 or 3 more tries.

I think the worst is when you have to give a significant amount to them and they do it from the veins on the back of your hand, so you're sitting there for a half hour waiting for the dang tubes to get filled. Ugh.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #7  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/135

Yep same for me! When I had surgery last month it took her 8 tries before she got it in! Every time I have to have blood taken or an IV put in, I warn the person that my veins aren't easily accessible and they ALWAYS ensure me that, 'thats because they weren't the ones to do it last time' and they always end up sticking me at least 3 times. It sucks!
nicholealyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I do regular weight lifting and exercise and I have to say that I've been told my veins are huge and strong. One phlebotomist told me she thought one of my veins was a tendon it was so strong. When I didn't exercise regularly though I had problems with them finding my veins as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholealyssa View Post
Yep same for me! When I had surgery last month it took her 8 tries before she got it in! Every time I have to have blood taken or an IV put in, I warn the person that my veins aren't easily accessible and they ALWAYS ensure me that, 'thats because they weren't the ones to do it last time' and they always end up sticking me at least 3 times. It sucks!
lol, yes, I love that... the "Oh, you've had a bad experience EVERY TIME before? Well, now that I'm here, it will be different!" I just smile and say "we'll see about that." I'm always perfectly polite during and after, but one of these days I'm gonna snap and say "oh no, sweetie, this must hurt your poor ego, knowing you're NOT extra special and talented."
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I just wanted to tell you that there is no reason that phlebotomist should have stuck you that many times AND to have moved the needle like she did. I give blood all the time at the local blood bank (because I have a rare type) and have issues sometimes because my veins tend to 'jump' away from the needle when they stick it in. I talked to my mom about a weird situation once when I went (she's a phlebotomist). She told me that they are NOT ALLOWED to "fish around" in your arms/hand/etc once they stick the needle in. If they miss the first time, they can leave the needle in your arm and try to stick the vein again. If they miss, they are supposed to take the needle out and try once more. If after two misses, they aren't supposed to try again... If you're uncomfortable with the person drawing blood, you can always ask for someone else. Regardless of whether or not she's the best, nobody is the best at every situation. Someone else should have stepped in.

**Sorry for the bit of rant, but I just hate that. I had a bruise on my arm the first time I gave from the lady "fishing" in my arm for the vein. She found it eventually, but the next two weeks I had a bruise from my wrist to my shoulder! NEVER again!

Last edited by stargzr; 01-29-2010 at 10:42 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I work for a veterinarian, who has been in the business since 1969! He can hit a vein on the front leg of a hairy dog or cat without shaving it so he can see, and rarely needs more than 2 tries. And the second is if they are sick and dehydrated.

I tell anyone who wants my blood about my boss and that they get one chance! My veins are not bad and are plainly visible. No excuses!

I've had my blood drawn lots, and have donated blood as well. One thing I learned is try to make sure that when you go, the person sticking you, hasn't been working all day and is tired. They seem to be worse if they are tired and stressed. And since I started telling them, they need to get it right without multiple tries, they seem to do better.

The best one I ever had was a man, he was so calm and cool, and I was in the emergency room and sicker than crap, and nauseous as ****, he hit it the first time and it didn't even hurt!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #12  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Every place I have worked had a 2 stick policy. If you can't get a vein in 2 sticks, you get someone else...period! If two floor nurses can't get it, we'd call the PICC team whose skills were legendary. No way would I have let this person dig around in my veins and make multiple attempts like that! So unprofessional of her. Sorry you had to go through it!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #13  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Nurse View Post
Every place I have worked had a 2 stick policy. If you can't get a vein in 2 sticks, you get someone else...period! If two floor nurses can't get it, we'd call the PICC team whose skills were legendary. No way would I have let this person dig around in my veins and make multiple attempts like that! So unprofessional of her. Sorry you had to go through it!
The two stick rule would have been nice at my OBs office. The digging, the repeat sticking, the...ugh...I'm nauseous just thinking about it. During one visit, I was stuck an excess of five times and had bruises from the digging. I complained and the administration basically said "tough luck" (my OB did apologize profusely and promised to take the vamp to task).
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #14  

Hello Nurse- Yea for THE PICC team!!! (Its what I do!!!) ...also known as the "PICC CHICKS" lol!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

i agree that they should only try twice and then call the picc team. but sometimes the picc team is not available and there are times when you HAVE to stick a person more than that...but a routine thyroid test is not one of those situations...just being practical...

when people tell me i have one chance, that just makes me nervous and less likely to succeed.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote