Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/108/100

Height: 4ft 11

Default advice for a heathy roast dinner

Hi guys

i am just dying for a roast dinner, i have been eating chicken, fish pasta etc but its sunday tomorrow and the hubby loves his roast dinner.

he really likes raost pork, please can i get any advice how to cook this in the healthyest way possible?

thanks
mysticshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Last night we had roast beef in the crockpot. I added spices and vegetables and we had beets. My family had rice and the gravy.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #3  

so i guess its a case of lean cut of meat plenty of veg, easy on the gravey and potatoes?

much love
Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

This is from a tellybox programme that was recently shown on Channel 4:

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes...ecipe_p_1.html

If you do decide to try it, let me know what it was like, especially the gravy, I really fancy some gravy!
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticshaz View Post
so i guess its a case of lean cut of meat plenty of veg, easy on the gravey and potatoes?

much love
Yup, ours wasn't even that nice. We got it out of the mark-down bin. I trimmed my portion before I ate it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #6  

wow thanks for the link to the reciepie that looks really good and i will definetly try it but with pork not beef as the hubby wont eat beef (men!)

will let u know the outcome

much love
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #7  
Reluctant Adult

I always think portion control is our avenue of last resort. I'm a South Beacher, but sometimes Life calls for off-plan eating!! When that happens, I just control the heck of our my portions.

Last week, I wanted to thank my handyman for all his hard work around my place before he leaves the area for a couple of months, so I asked if there as anything I could do for him... he asked if I would make him dinner. I said sure, what would he like? He answered that he'd really love pork chops with mashed potatoes and gravy. (!!!) So I made that, added a big salad, steamed some green beans and offered homemade bread.

I took the smallest pork chop, trimmed off all visible fat (about 4 ounces total). Took the tiniest spoonful of mashed potato and topped it with a thimbleful of gravy. Loaded up on the vegetables and salad. Skipped the bread.

He, on the other hand, wolfed down 4 pork chops, ate 2 huge helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy, a respectable amount of veg and half a loaf of bread with butter (he was the one who was out chopping up a couple of cords of wood, not me!)... Everyone's happy!!

I don't see why you couldn't do that with your pork roast, too...? Enjoy!!!

Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #8  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I'd get a pork tenderloin, they are pretty lean. You could pound the meat out thin and do a stuffed tenderloin...with maybe a brown rice, apple, cranberry, and onion stuffing.

Instead of regular white potatoes, you could use sweet potatoes. These cook up nicely if you wedge them and coat lightly with olive oil. Plus the sweetness goes great with pork.

If you want regular white mashed potatoes, use lowfat buttermilk with some chives/salt/pepper instead of milk and butter. Buttermilk in mashed potatoes is fantastic, almost like a baked potato loaded with sour cream, but healthier! I never miss gravy when I make mashed potatoes this way!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticshaz View Post

much love
Bake some sweet potatoes to go with that roast. Roast veggies are good too....parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #10  

wow lots af great ideas! thanks :-)

i love the pork tenderloin idea so will try that next time, today i am trying the channel four recepie

i will let u know what its like, i am really looking forward to it x

much love