Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247.6/241.0/224

Height: 5.8

Cool SURVIVOR FOODS... 10 Foods to take to a Desert Island.

I was looking at an email from WebMd and saw this article. It was SURVIVOR FOODS - 10 FOODS TO TAKE TO A DESERT ISLAND. A dietitrans top picks.

1 CANNED BEANS
2 NUTS
3 BLUEBERRIES
4 WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL
5 BROCCOLI
6 CARROTS
7 RED WINE
8 TEA
9 ORANGES
10 TOMATOES

I would prob take out the Broccoli, tomatoes, and tea and in there place bring sugar snap peas, green beans, and water. You can not have tea with out the water and I would rather have water that I know will not make me sick... What would you take if you were going to be put on a desert island?
flyingwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Well, I'd try to take some kind of oil that wouldn't turn rancid. I'd want to bring a source of fat with me because I think I could get lots of lean protein (like fish) on a remote island, but getting fat might be a tough thing unless there are olive trees there or something. And I learned from reading about Lewis and Clark on their expedition, that they were actually starving for a short time because they were eating venison which can be a very lean meat, and they weren't getting enough fat so their bodies weren't using the protein right or something. I didn't understand it exactly, but I got the point that you need some fat with the lean protein, long-term, to avoid starvation.

Not really sure what else I would take...have to think about that for awhile...maybe MRE's, as horrid as they are, because they have a lot of calories and a long shelf life even in the heat and cold.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #3  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwasp View Post
I was looking at an email from WebMd and saw this article. It was SURVIVOR FOODS - 10 FOODS TO TAKE TO A DESERT ISLAND. A dietitrans top picks.

1 CANNED BEANS
2 NUTS
3 BLUEBERRIES
4 WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL
5 BROCCOLI
6 CARROTS
7 RED WINE
8 TEA
9 ORANGES
10 TOMATOES
I like 1-6, 9, and 10, but I'd change red wine to "cheese" and tea to "yoghurt". There's just not enough fat in that list to satisfy me, the tomatoes would have to be tinned and I don't drink red wine or tea. I'd also try to smuggle olive oil to the island too.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

1 CANNED BEANS
2 NUTS
3 BLUEBERRIES
4 WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL
5 BROCCOLI
6 CARROTS
7 RED WINE
8 TEA
9 ORANGES
10 TOMATOES

I would prob take out the Broccoli, tomatoes, and tea and in there place bring sugar snap peas, green beans, and water. You can not have tea with out the water and I would rather have water that I know will not make me sick... What would you take if you were going to be put on a desert island?
First of all, I'd take dried beans not canned. If you were stranded for a long time you could plant some of the dried beans. Instead of whole grain cereal I'd want brown rice or oats. Salt and clean water should be on the list too. You wouldn't survive very long without those.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/178/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

1 CANNED BEANS
2 NUTS
3 BLUEBERRIES
4 WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL
5 BROCCOLI
6 CARROTS
7 RED WINE
8 TEA
9 ORANGES
10 TOMATOES

I'd try to fit sweet potatoes in there somewhere. Everyone might want to add water to their list as well. I doubt these foods would do you much good when you're surrounded by salt water.

Last edited by MrsMaria; 01-22-2010 at 02:59 PM.
MrsMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #6  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I'd take out the red wine and put in water purification tablets. Boiling water would do in a pinch but its always nice to have an endless supply of water purification tablets. I love dried beans but I would choose canned because the cans would also hold water and could serve as a stove for other items that need to be cooked.

Oh yeah, and my trusty pocket knife and a fixed bladed knife. Dryer Lint (lots of that, good fire starter) and matches.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote