UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #1  

Default Fat, skint and disabled

Does anyone else in the UK or anywhere else in the world find it hard to diet when they have a VERY low income?

My first priority is making sure my kids, my partner and me have enough food, electricity, coal (yes its still in use here) and other essentials. By the time I've bought in what is necessary, we have nothing left. Shopping for food means, buying basics range stuff which is not always the healthiest of options. I struggle to find the money for fresh fruit and veg as the cost is just too high for most items.

Does anyone else find this? Or is it just me?

I have quite a bit of weight to lose for various reasons, but due to back and hip problems, I cannot exercise. I spent 6 years in a wheelchair and am only out of it now with the help of a lot of medication and determination. I've always had trouble with my weight, although I have managed some serious weight loss in the past. This time it seems just like such a struggle.

Gave up chocolate, sweets, crisps, cakes etc, you know all the nice things that make life bearable over a week ago, but not weighing myself yet, waiting until the jeans feel a little looser.

I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this.

Thanks

Last edited by TheTigz; 01-16-2010 at 03:51 PM.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Just wanted to welcome you, I'm so glad you are here! I'm a newbie myself.
I just know you will reach your goal of being healthier!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Ouch, your situation does sound difficult... kudos to you for still deciding to do this, I really respect that you got yourself out of the wheelchair!

Have you looked into growing veggies (in pots or planters or if you have a backyard)? If you choose the right crops (suitable for the local climate and soil conditions) it's not much work, inexpensive, and they often multiply like weeds. I "grow" raspberries, tomatoes, squash, chives, and watermelon -- grow is in quotation marks because they really just grow themselves, especially the chives and raspberries, and need to be yanked constantly.

As for exercise, there are terrific low-impact exercises available -- for example, just walking in shoes like Sketchers Shape-ups (which are outrageously expensive, but there are cheap equivalents for $30 or so at Kmart). You can also take out low-impact yoga/pilates videos/DVDs at your library and begin with simple resistance training using your own body weight at home. Hope that helps!
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
I'm sorry I don't know much about Scotland but here in America we have co-ops. I have never used it but from my understanding, you can buy food at a much cheaper price by volunteering a few hours a week. Do you have anything like that where you live?
We don't have them here unfortunately. Nearest thing you get is buying direct from the farmer which is something we do with potatoes.

I would love to grow my own fruit and veg as I have been quite an avid gardener in the past, but I'd need raised beds and a lot of help. I can't afford the materials to make the raised beds at this point in time. My partner also has a serious heart condition which means I would rather not let him do to much of the heavier jobs involved with it, but I love the idea in general.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I work in Asda, so excuse my biased response... But Asda does frozen tubs of mango, tubs of berries which will be much more bang for your buck. Also frozen smoothie mix too. And ofcourse the frozen packs of vegetables too. I'm not sure if and how freezing effects the food but it might be somethig to look into
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #6  

Guess where we already shop? lol If it wasn't for Asda I really don't know how we would get through. I get the frozen veggies all the time from there and look for the bargains in the fruit and veg. Its things like salad items and meat in particular that I find most expensive. The processed meat products are always cheaper.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Well, one healthier and cheaper option is to buy dried beans and legumes instead of meat or processed meat products. I have cousins in South America that are really poor so they live mostly on a vegetarian diet with lots of rice, beans, vegetables and fruit (the fruit grows in their garden). They never go without food and they are slim and healthy. Come to think of it, the last time I was in SA I only saw one obese person. It's not in their custom to buy pre-prepared food... everything is made fresh and cooked from scratch.

Last edited by Taurie; 01-17-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Here's a link with info on eating healthy on a budget:
http://www.menus4moms.com/articles/e...thy_budget.php
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/175

Height: 5"5

Hi
I live alone, I have MS and as a result I am unable to work at present (been retired off). I survive on benefits. Like yourself I prioritise to make sure I have gas and electric in the meter and that other bills are paid. I shop at Tescos - generally online as I struggle to get round the store. I buy Tesco light choices food. I have given up chocolate for the second time - aids my MS symptoms. I mainly eat chicken and fish. I have gone off potatoes and fizzy drinks. I have chips once a fortnight as don't like the taste really anymore. I eat alot of cous cous and rice. Despite spending alot of time in my wheelchair I think I'm doing well with losing weight. I aim for a lb a week and anything else is a bonus for me.
I always check the nutritional information before I buy anything - sometimes even value ranges have less calories than so called lighter options.
keira74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #10  

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am pretty much already doing most of the things advised. We make massive pots of soup almost every week just now and eat lots of cous cous, pasta and rice dishes.

I guess I just get frustrated at not being able to get salad items and quality meat very often, especially for my kids.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

I've been told by lots of people that the fruit & veg at Lidl is qood quality and cheap too, haven't been there myself for while though. I also try to buy 2nd class fresh veg whenever possible, they're cheaper just because they're oddly shaped. Also it's worth looking into what's in season, that saves money too. I've also found lots of great deals on brandname foods in shops like Iceland and Poundstretcher.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTigz View Post

Gave up chocolate, sweets, crisps, cakes etc, you know all the nice things that make life bearable over a week ago
I don't mean this in a mean way, because I had the same problem. But I think to make this last in the long term, you have to find other things to make life bearable.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #13  

I don't find that mean at all, I completely agree. I've been trying dried fruit and rice crackers to keep me sane!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/188/140

Height: 5'6

Try Aldi. They always have a selection of fruit and veg marked down each week. This week apples were £1.30 for a bag is Asda and only 59p for the same bag is Aldi.

They also have frozen fruit and veg and low fat yoghurt which is normally cheaper than other supermarkets and just as nice.
mg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

I genuinely believe that of you find a good butchers and seek out cheaper cuts of meat, you will find it is not cheaper to buy ptocessed meats, you just need to be creative - same goes for veggies, buy what's in season in bulk, and make meals ahead of time yourself and freeze....as someone else suggested beans and pulses are a great way to bulk them out.
especially with kids, smaller quantities of better quality natural food is far healthier than larger amounts of cheap nasty processed foods!

Best of luck it's tricky, but at least you have the internet as a resource to help find new recipes on a budget
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote