Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/292/200

Height: 5'6"

Default Looking for advice!

I'm new here, and to the dieting world. Well, kind of. I haven't put forth any "real" effort before. My mom had me off and on crash diets since I was 8 and right up until I left home at 18. I know that did more harm than good, and maybe because of those bad experiences, I just didn't bother trying again. My biggest fear has always been reaching 300lbs. I weighed myself at a friends last week and guess what....295!!! I almost died. I joined Weight Watchers that night and have been following their diet guidelines. I lost 3lbs in my first week. Not much, but it's a start, right? I'm pretty happy about it, because it shows me that this IS working. So today, I threw in a 30 minute yoga workout that's supposed to focus on my stomach, love handles, lower back and shoulders. I have a pilates dance one I'm going to try tomorrow. I want to see if I can double this weeks weight loss.

So I'm just wondering if there's anything anyone here has had excellent results from? I know, everyone is different and what works for you may not work for me. But I'd still like to know, since I'm new to all of this.

Are there any foods anyone would recommend eating or staying away from? Any natural supplements you have taken that has assisted in your weight loss? I've been taking apple cider vinegar tablets. They're supposed to help with appetite, metabolism, and reducing water retention.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! And of course, if anyone plans on jumping onto the apple cider vinegar, I would seriously recommend reading up on it as much as possible so you can make an informed decision for your own health. I plan on doing the same with anything anyone else suggests.

Thanks!
NannyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

That was my high weight too!!

I'd recommend calorie counting and exercise!! It works really well for many of us!

Many of us eat foods that help keep us full. I eat a lot more protein than I used to. I've replaced many "white" carbs with whole grains (adding fiber, which contributes to a fullness). I eat a lot more veggies (a lot of bang for your calorie buck).

In other words, eat a healthy diet, cut out a lot of the "junk" or empty calories (I do still regularly eat dark chocolate!), and move move move! Many of us have had a lot of success sticking to a plan like this!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

It really sounds as though you're on the right track!! The exercise is an excellent first step! For diet, I also recommend calorie counting. It works very well for many people on this forum. You mentioned in your post that you've joined WW. That program is similar to calorie counting in some ways. Definitely find the foods that keep you full, be it vegetables or whatever. Find foods that give you your bang for your buck (or for your WW points).

The key is really taking in fewer calories than your body uses throughout the day. Although exercise can help create more of a deficit, exercise alone probably won't be enough. Some people consider exercise to be about 20% of the weight loss equation, and food choices to be 80%.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Good luck!!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #4  
The Devil's in the Donuts

S/C/G: 267/~see ticker~/145 & fit

Yep, journaling was key for me. If I am journaling, I'm losing. I get lazy and stop writing down what I eat and when...start gaining. You would think I would learn....sigh!

I suggest you do what I just did and buy yourself a really pretty, personal journal and start writing down AND planning everything that goes in your mouth. It can be a drag at first but it really is worth the effort.

Best of luck...look forward to seeing you around the forum.
meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice ladies!

I've completely cut out ALL junk food, except for the Thinsations line. They're 2 points per pack and honestly....I need SOMETHING sweet here and there! And I only really have those at the end of the day, IF I have points leftover (which I usually do). I can't WAIT to see if I manage to double my weight loss this week!!! I'm very excited. The best motivation is definitely seeing the loss each week.

Heather - I LOVE your before and after pics! You look AMAZING!!!

And congrats on the weight loss achieved so far for everyone! Absolutely inspiring! Thank you so much

I get so choked up when I think about what I can do with a bit of work lately. This is soooo important to me
Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm on WW and started at 291. My first week's loss wasn't huge either. Just keep counting your points and exercising! In past attempts I wasn't really good about tracking my points, and measuring portions (I was convinced I could do it in my head). On weeks when I track and measure I do way better!

As far as exercise, running gives me the best results, but I wasn't able to run until I got to around 250 lbs. Before I started running I did weight lifting, elliptical, and recumbent bike. If you don't have a gym membership, I recommend buying a resistance band. It's really versitile and good for building strength. And for cardio, good ol' fashioned walking is always a great one! Other good sources for workout ideas: youtube, OnDemand, and this chick- http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/arch...ute-beginners/ she has awesome workouts from beginner to advanced
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #7  

Thanks Ashley! My pilates video game with a resistance band right in the case. It's just a cheapy, but it's still effective. I used it with my yoga workout this morning.

I know this is horrible (and probably explains at least some of the weight) but I hate walking! I don't know why. I just don't enjoy it. I'm going to pick up an aerobic step and video in the next couple of weeks though and throw that into my routine. THAT I enjoy, although I haven't done it since school.

Thanks for the link!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You might want to try Leslie Sansone's walking at home program... much of it is really not walking, and it helps to build your stamina so you don't hate real walking as much At least has been my experience.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #9  

OMG Ashely that site is awesome! Thanks soooooooooooooo much again!! I can't wait to try it out when I get home on Monday (going to moms for the weekend tomorrow).

Rachael - Thanks, I'll look into it at some point. Right now I'm having fun with workout videos
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

It is a workout video, in fact there are many different series

I'm with ya, I love the workout videos and can't do without them.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #11  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

The best advice I can give you is that losing about 2 pounds a week is considered quite fast. Celebrate any and all victories. If you don't show a weight loss, but you know you stuck to your plan and did right, celebrate that. Keep in mind that you could be building muscle, which is 3 times denser than fat. Or you could have a temporary water weight gain corresponding to time of the month. So don't knock yourself if the scale doesn't show a weight loss. Give yourself credit for doing right.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Check out your local parks. The only way I really enjoy walking is if I'm somewhere very pretty! Fortunately for me, my Dad knows this city better than the back of his hand and with his help I've found some small, beautiful parks burried in neighborhoods where most people would never find them.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote