Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #1  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Default Feel Like Giving Up...Need Encouragement

So I had been feeling awesome...and now I feel like crap. I know part of it is because it's almost TOM, but I think the last few weeks of not being AS on plan as I had been is catching up to me.

I don't know how to get that steam and motivation back! I'm still trying, but I don't feel good like I did before...I don't feel more energetic and in control. I keep reminding myself that I'm still doing a lot better than I did before I started trying to lose weight, but it doesn't feel like enough.

Also, I went from working out 4 or 5 times a week for a couple hours to not working out at ALL and it makes me feel like dieting is pointless. I have no childcare now, so I can't get to the gym like I had been doing.

I just need some encouragement. I feel fatter than I did when I started. I had been so pleased with my 22 pound loss and now I feel like that's pitiful and doesn't count.

Help Do you guys ever feel like this and how do you get out of a funk? Also, any suggestions for things someone can for exercise do a) in their home b) in the evening 3) that doesn't require equipment. I miss my cardio.

Thanks girls...
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Workout DVD's. It's a great way to go when you need to workout at home. I use The Biggest Loser DVD's mostly. They offer simple quick cardio workouts, and they don't require any equipment. I got mine at Target for under 10 bucks!
Everyone feels discouraged now and then, it's OK. A 22 pound loss is fantastic another 22 pounds and your at goal, but where will you be if you give up?

One more thing diet is not pointless without exercise. Exercise is great EVERYONE should do it, however you can still lose weight with diet alone( a bit slower) and eating well can make you feel better overall.

Don't give up, you can do it!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/206

Height: 5'4"

I've been working on getting the steam and motivation (and COURAGE) to even get started!! Your post, though discouraged, was helpful to me. I know that people have a hard time like me, not just with food but with all the other components to successful weight loss.

My opinion is that exercise is the key to us feeling GREAT. I also don't go to a gym, and I have one child still at home all day. Can you do an exercise video? Even YouTube has some good stuff!!! (try the sparkpeople ones) Can you go on a walk with your child? I borrowed a nice jogging stroller from my neighbor and went walking in the RAIN (i live in the pacific nw). Find something to do. Even a little is better than nothing at all.

And hey...if I had lost 22 lbs I'd be shouting from the rooftops Way to GO!!
MissInch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

Thanks girls for the encouragement.

I have On Demand and I know that there are quite a few on there, but to be honest, the ones I've tried nearly KILLED me. In the gym, I normally do the treadmill at a moderate incline at a medium speed for an hour. So when I tried the 30DS, I thought I was dying.

I guess I'm used to lower intensity cardio for longer periods of time versus the really intense cardio packed into smaller time frames. Any suggestions for something that might not make me throw up? Lol.

(I have done the 10 minute abs and the 10 minute buns and thighs work outs and I like that, but that's just toning so it doesn't feel like it "counts")
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #5  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Try Walk away the pounds. It gets your heart rate up but it's not so hard you feel like your gonna die. That's one that I enjoy!!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

I would recommend, Turbo Jam DVDs, I HATE Hate Hate exercising, and actually enjoy those DVDs they do make you sweat but they don't feel like they are killing you are are un-doable.
hiimnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #7  
Motivated for 2010!!

S/C/G: 245/175/120

Height: 5'4"

I also like the Walk away the lbs dvds. They are fun and are challenging but not super tough.

BTW don't give up! You are worth losing the weight. One thing I keep trying to remind myself is that in a year I can either be heavier, the same weight or weigh less but the year will pass regardless. Keep it up!
LizJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/177.2/138

Height: 5'6

i do do the exercise videos on demand too! i do the 30ds and i do it at my pace. i like to listen to her cause she keeps you going. she knows you want to stop but she talks you out of it. i usually put on my itunes in the backround too so i can hear pumpin music to get me goin! music plays a big part in my weightloss. i like to listen to songs that get me goin and i like to think about people that don't think i can do it. its all in my mind now. i tell myself i dont need junkfood i want it. one thing i heard on biggest loser was nothing tastes as good as skinny feels and it is the truth!!! you can do it! good luck!
heartmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/172/145

Height: 5'5

Maybe you could search your cable/satellite tv channels for exercise programs (ok when I'm not sick). I found a TON of 30 min ones that I can do (I have fibro so exercise is really hard for me) on obscure channels I didn't even know I HAD. I like to record several so I have an option of what to do. My faves are dance ones, bollywood dance, yoga, tai chi (that one is an hour tho). I'm SURE I look ridiculous, but it's just me and the dogs at home so I don't care what I look like. Whenever I have a burst of energy (sometimes every other day, sometimes twice/day depending on how I feel). You can always do the workouts and take a rest in between. I mean a little exercise with breaks in between is better than nothing. And it's okay to get discouraged, this isn't a phase in your life, it is your life! It's hard and sometimes we all slide. It's okay. Give yourself some slack and try to get back on when you can. Baby steps add up fast!
MyPitBullSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I have similar stats to you and was at about the same spot you are when I fell off the wagon earlier this year...and let me tell you... you will sooooooooooo regret it!!

I think its just a question of "keeping going"....it's not the most fun... but it's the BEST thing for you and your kids....you can't give up!!

I don't know how old they are or what the weather is like in TN, but can you have THEM motivate you? I mean something like, taking them out for a walk...playing a game of tag...that sort of thing. Little kids can get MOOOOOOVING so fast!!

Have you tried yoga? Only requires a mat (for traction) which you can pick up for cheap at a target/Wal-Mart/TJ Maxx/even some grocery stores. GREAT for strength and I really like the mental aspect of it as well. Pilates would be the same thing -- and there are yoga/pilates/combo videos on demand and for purchase (again -- cheap. Check out eBay!)

Dance around your house!! Especially if you have little kids...they'll probably join you!! Figure out a playlist that's whatever length you want (30 mins, whatever) and just DANCE the whole time!!

I think you can also get Rebounding DVDs. Rebounding uses those little trampolines (available all over the place online, probably super cheap on eBar), so it doesn't use much equipment, and what it does use could be easily stored in a closet. Also would be fun for the kids, haha.

Whatever you do, KEEP GOING. Your future self will thank you!

Jump roping is also good cardio!! I'm not sure how much space you have indoors, but it could be done outdoors if you don't have snow! And again, something that's fun for the kids, too!! If you got them a little person jump rope they could do it with you.

Also -- is there any chance you could do like a "childcare tradeoff" with another local mom? Basically, you would agree to equally swap childcare services to get some alone time to be able to work out more, run errands, etc. This could also work if you have family in the area. Could be a great way to have some time to go for a walk/jog/run or something?
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/151/118

Height: 5'7

When I can't make it to the gym or I don't feel like working out, sometimes I will go in my room, close the door, put on some music to pump me up, and just dance around like crazy for 30 min or an hour. It doesn't feel like working out, and it may not be the most intense cardio, but it burns calories, keeps my heart rate up, and by the end I am sweating. At first I feel silly, but it's fun. And it doesn't even matter if you are totally uncoordinated because no one is watching! If your kids are around, and they are young, they could even join in too!
AutumnSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #12  
2010 is my year!

S/C/G: 230/230/180

Height: 5'6

* Hug * stick in there thick!
vontrese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

What about belly dancing? I got a coin scarf off Ebay and I love wearing it around, listening to belly dance music, and trying some moves I learned on Youtube. It's extremely healthy exercise (very low intensity), it makes you feel so sexy and feminine, and you can do it at home, any time of day. =) But whatever you do, don't give up!!! Maybe eat a few less calories, just do whatever you can - even to maintain.
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #14  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I have been feeling the same way as you are, I didnt workout, and I ate a bumch of CRAP from Friday until yesterday...my scale says im 3 pounds heavier but Im hoping its because TOM started today...But today has been a much better day. DON'T GIVE UP!!!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #15  
Healthy is Beautiful

Thank you guys SO much! I needed that...all of it. And such great suggestions.

A question or two...Walk Away the Pounds...I haven't had a chance to check it out yet and this might be a stupid question...but is it just like, walking in place? That would definitely be okay, but I just wondered.

I love the suggestion of belly dancing!

And my little boy is 5 and would definitely love to dance around and be goofy and crazy with me. I guess one of the things I have to work on is expanding my minds perception of what "exercise" is. I've always been stuck on this idea that exercising has to be structured, repetitive and HURT lol. But I can see now that there are a lot of fun options that can be worked into my tight and unforgiving schedule.

I might have to try that mom trade off idea, too. Although I might be tempted to use that time for a nap or a pedicure

Thanks again ladies, I knew you'd help.