Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Start today; you won't regret it, I promise

Happy Anniversary to me! Today is my one-year anniversary here at 3FC.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...like-pics.html

I wanted to make a post today because one year ago today, I was just getting started. It honestly didn't occur to me that I would stay here a whole year, or that this place would play such an important role in my weight-loss journey. But I did stay, and it has played a huge role. HUGE.

People who have been around for awhile will probably want to skip the next part, but I'll recap for our new chicks (and man-chicks, too....heh, that sounds funny).

A year ago today, I weighed 245. I think that was the heaviest I've ever been. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to blur faces. I thought I carried my weight well but I was kidding myself; I was very overweight. Last year at Christmastime:

--I was literally busting out of my size 18jeans; the inner thighs had worn through and there were just a few thin strands of elasticised thread holding them on me. I had to go buy size 20's; big, cheap, ugly things that didn't flatter my figure. But they were all that fit.

--My asthma was horrible. I coughed constantly, had zero energy. I could barely climb 1 flight of stairs at work; 3 flights would have me heaving and coughing and shaking. I had terrible heartburn and other digestive issues. I had nearly constant migraines due to the vast quantities of sugar and caffiene I was ingesting.

--I was depressed. I felt terrible about myself. I knew I looked bad. I was ashamed that I had to go and buy up yet another size.

--I was embarassed. I wanted to be invisible because I felt huge and hulking and unattractive. I was ashamed of myself, ashamed of the amounts of food I was eating.

--I hated the big clothes I was wearing. I hated shopping in the women's department with all the tent-like tops and the pants that were too wide and too short, but I couldn't fit into anything in the Misses' department. I had a lovely black wool coat that I could no longer zip.

So a year ago, I was desperately Googling for success stories. I wanted to see before and after pictures; I knew I had a lot to lose but had no idea how much because I had avoided the scale for years. Google brought up 3FC, and I found the Goal section with all the success stories and the amazing pictures. After a couple days of reading, I began to feel hope. Hope that i could do this, because I saw that others had done it. So I dug out my scale and steeled my nerves and stepped on. 245. OK then. That was my starting point.

I started out slow. I just cut out my afternoon trip to the candy store and started bringing my lunch to work. After a few weeks, I started counting calories. I bought an elliptical machine because I was afraid to go to the gym.

The weight started coming off. I started keeping a spreadsheet and a graph of my calories and my weight. When spring came, I bought shoes and started the Couch to 5K program.

Fast forward to today. This Christmas:

--I am wearing size 12 jeans. They're cute and they make my butt look amazing. I wore them with a red sweater to my annual Christmas party.

--I still have asthma, but it's only periodic and I can control it with an inhaler. I don't have my annual winter cough at all. My migraines are greatly, greatly reduced. I can run up the stairs at work without feeling a thing and I can run on the treadmill for 10 minutes at a time (still working on getting up to 5k!). I only take Tums now because the doc wants me to get the calcium.

--My mental state is much, much better. I don't sit around and cry for no reason and I can sleep.

--I am no longer embarrassed at my appearance. Yeah, I've still got some weight to lose. But I look a LOT better than I did, and I can now wear a "Large" top from the Misses' department and both of my jeans are 12's. I can wear my lovely black wool coat and can zip it easily with room to spare.

So:

I've gone from size 18-20 to 12 on the bottom
Bra size has gone from 38G(tight) to 36G (OK, so the girls are still big)
Tops have gone from 1X to Large
I have lost 6" off my waist
I am 55 pounds lighter
I feel a zillion times better

I haven't been perfect. I haven't been as disciplined as many chicks here are. But I've tried to be pretty consistent and it has paid off in a huge way. So if you are Googling, looking for some hope and for a sign that you can do this, here it is.

Start today. You won't be sorry. I know that a year sounds like a long time but it has flown by. This next year will pass either way; why not spend it learning healthy new habits? It has made such a difference to me.

Start today. We are here to help you. Start today. You can do this!

Last edited by Windchime; 01-05-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 325/315/190

Congrats on your weight losss. What a great post. Keep up the good work.
janann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Yay, yay, yay!

I love your posts, Windchime. I'm so glad you're here! And a hearty congratulations on your one year anniversary. You look wonderful!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Wow, this is so inspiring ! I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your goals, but your at an amazing place now and it only took a year !!
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 169/169/145

Height: 5'8"

it's only my second day. and may i say on my drive home this evening i really wanted to go to jack in the box, but i fought it. stories like this help me fight those craving!! congrats girl, you deserve it!!!!!!!
anna1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #6  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

You are so very right, but you already know that. I am convinced that the single most relevant factor of my success this time around is that I didn't put it off until tomorrow, or the beginning of the next week, or whatever. There was no "last meal." The very moment I decided I was going to do it, I did. Right then. No putting it off.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #7  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

Thank you for sharing, Windchime!

I too found 3FC by Googling for inspiration and it's so nice to hear stories like yours, especially when you talk about how you started out slowly, just making small changes. It's a reminder that positive choices is what will make it a lifestyle and not just another fad to make us lose quickly and gain it all back. I'm pretty damn sick of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I haven't been perfect. I haven't been as disciplined as many chicks here are. But I've tried to be pretty consistent and it has paid off in a huge way.
I LOVE THAT!

Thanks again for your honesty, humility and courage. And I wish you all the best in your continued journey!
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
You are so very right, but you already know that. I am convinced that the single most relevant factor of my success this time around is that I didn't put it off until tomorrow, or the beginning of the next week, or whatever. There was no "last meal." The very moment I decided I was going to do it, I did. Right then. No putting it off.
Absolutely! For most of my life, I said I'd lose weight once "fill in the blank here" happened, but guess what? Once " " happened, then I just found another excuse. If you want an excuse you will ALWAYS find one. There's never a better time to start like the present. Trust me, you won't regret it.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #9  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Windchime, you are AWESOME. And because Salsa hath decreed it, so it also is!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Windchime, happy anniversary, and happy pounds gone!

It has been a pleasure to watch your progress over the last year. You've shown that sticking to a plan really pays off!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Such an inspirational story. SO proud of you!! Keep up the good work because as you see, it DOES pay off. . . BIGTIME.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

What a fantastically inspirational post! Good for you! The most motivating factor I have found on these boards was a quote in someone's signature along the lines of "A year from now you'll be glad you started today." That has been my big push.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #13  
I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 265/250/120

Height: 5'3"

Wow. Can I just say that this is exactly the post I needed to read right now?

I was sitting here debating on whether or not I had the strength and courage to start today and what do I see? A thread labeled "Start today; You won't regret it!"

I'm in the same place you were a year ago, only I'm actually a little worse off. I would love to be able to make my own post like this a year from now.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

*hugs*
Ophelia31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #14  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I haven't been perfect. I haven't been as disciplined as many chicks here are. But I've tried to be pretty consistent and it has paid off in a huge way. So if you are Googling, looking for some hope and for a sign that you can do this, here it is.
Windchime, it is your imperfection, and willingness to accept it, and your consistence that have made your journey a success! Congrats on your anniversary!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #15  
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

Big congrats! That was very inspiring to read as a newbie! I can't wait to make the same type of post one day!
thinnerbyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote