Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default OT: For Mommy's with Toddlers

So. I have a two year old, that doesn't want to listen suprise, suprise. Anyways we are having an issue right now with keeping our diaper on. She will not leave it on, I turn my back for two seconds and she is taking it off. I have tried everything I know to make her stop. She even takes it off when she poops and has played in it, When she does this she immediately gets a bath with NO toys.

I have put her in time out, I have locked her room so she isn't aloud in there, I've yelled at her, she crys everytime and she knows she is in trouble as soon as I see her but she continues to do it. It's driving me insane. I am very consistant about this, I do not laugh or thinks it's funny, never does she think it's okay. But she continues to do it.

My mom thinks she is ready to be potty trained. I don't the doctor told me to let her do it on her time, and it was not a big deal right now, she just turned 2. I try to reward her with stickers for going potty, but I can't even give those to her now (a few weeks ago she shoved a sticker up her nose). I have a rewards chart but she doesn't understand the concept of it. I put her in Panties the other day and took her to the bathroom and said if you need to go potty or pee tell mommy and I will take you potty, no she went and peed in one of her toy buckets with her pants still up ( she doesn't understand the concept yet) I think she just wants to be naked.

HELP! Any good Advice
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Pull-ups are harder to get off. Electrical tape wrapped once around will keep her from being able to pull the tape off. I have a naked 2yr old right now to. We are working on potty training, but most days she just pees in her pull-up. Sigh...hang in there.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #3  

Default Potty time

Pull-up don't seem like they hold much at all. But maybe I need to try that, cuz that would be a little harder to get off. What is it with 2 year olds wanting to be naked all the time? lol...We have to figure something out, I can't stand the playing in the poop part, she use to do that when she first turned 1 and realized she could get it off. I would go in her room and she would be in her crib covered in POOP. I am like this is so gross, no one told me kids play in their poop. lol. She quit for the longest time, and then recently starting doing it again, but now she just goes and hides. Takes the diaper off and puts her fingers in it. I am like this cannot be sanitary lol. I know I have read about other kids playing in their poop too, but geez come on. lol. Anyone else experience this too!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #4  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Luckily mine have not done that but I do know it happens with some frequency. I just came here to say...... *hugs*
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

My now 7yr old was a Poopy Painter - so nasty. The worst was finding it on her chin, knowing she has likely tasted it, yeck!! All I could do was gate off the room we were in so I could see her constantly. Unfortunately, you may get little to nothing done but monitoring Miss Diaper Shedder for a while.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #6  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Its been a while since mine were in diapers. But I have a home child care and do work with parents on potty training. I started off slow with mine. I just put them on the toilet while bath water was running. Then I put them on after each time I went to the washroom. Said it was now their turn. I also dumped poop found in diapers or other places in the toilet so they knew that is where it was to go. Also put the kids on during each diaper change. Sounds like a lot of work. But it really does work. I never made a big deal about it. It was just what was suppose to happen. Once in underwear I bought cute ones... like dora or bob the builder. And then said things like "make sure your dont get dora wet or dirty....as for playing with poop. It will pass I have never seen any kids at elemenary, high school or university who play with poo...Hugs! Chances are she does understand she just knows it gets a rise out you and likes the drama. Sorry to say but they do learn how to be button pushers really young in life! Hugs again!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #7  

Default Toddler

That is a really good idea about putting her poop in the potty so she understands where it goes. I never thought of that. I think I am going to try that. That might make her realize the connection between pooping and potting. lol. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I know it a lot of kids go through this, but dang Potty training/diapers have been the hardest thing.

We never had a pacifer so I didn't have to worry about taking one away. Bottles she was off of by 1 years old. She switched to Sippy cups very easily, she wasn't attached her bottles at all. Potty training and diaper issues has definitely been our biggest obstacle.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm finishing up my degree in early childhood ed. right now, so I can offer the little insight I have.

I agree with everything Julia said, especially about putting poop from diapers directly into the toilet. This really helps children to understand the concept, and helps keep stinky smells away

Also, if you're punishing her after she does this by taking things away, or giving her a time out - it doesn't make sense to her. The consequence must be logical. It has to fit the crime. For example, she throws her bowl off her tray, consequence - no more bowl.

I was trying to think of some ideas, but I currently can't, my brain is fried. But it's SO important to be consistent, and follow each time she does it with a specified logical consequence. And be sure you are communicating with he that because she took her diaper off, now she has to _________. Always have her clean up her own mess if she makes one (you'll have to do it again of course, but to the best of her ability), then have her go get a new diaper for you to put on.

you're probably right though, she probably just wants to be naked!

A good trick I found when you do start potty training, put her into undies and let her feel how icky it is when she does go in her pants. Then have her pick out new undies and change herself (with your help). This really helps them get in the habit FAST because they won't like the feeling of wet underwear and pants.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'm not a parent, but I do teach special education pre-school. Part of my job is potty-training "difficult" 3,4,and 5 year olds....
1) try putting her diaper on backwards.
2) get one of those baby dolls that "wets" and make the doll go on the potty. Get excited and dance around in front of your child when the doll "goes."
3) if she likes dress up, get her a cute dress she looooves. When she poops/pees in it, make her put it int he washer and dryer and explain she doesn't get it until it's clean, because she got it dirty.
4) I love the dumping poop in the potty idea. She may be craving sensory stimulus. This sounds gross, but one of my students liked to play in poop and we gave him brown play-do (mix red and green play-do together) to play with...
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #10  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I second the suggestion of putting the diaper on backwards. It worked for us. Good luck!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

And I'm all about letting her wear panties so she can feel how yucky it is. This worked for my son. He still would wet them every now and then but only enough to know that he had to finish in the potty. You go through lots of undies, but it's worth it. And hang in there...it WILL get better! Also, I would not worry about the pullups...I think they are a waste of money because my son always treated them just like a diaper.

Last edited by sgregg; 11-19-2009 at 12:04 AM.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Hmm. I haven't had this problem (at least not yet)...I have 2 boys, a 3-year-old (who is potty trained) and a 1-year-old. I agree with putting her poo in the potty to show her where it goes. But, I tried potty training my son at 2 and it was way too early...he just wasn't ready yet. That's not to say that she isn't ready tho! I've heard from many many people that girls are easier to train and will train earlier than boys.

My other advice would be to make note of her schedule. I can pretty well predict when my 1-year-old is going to poop. He's pretty regular...I think most children are because they're diet is usually very consistent. So when that time of day comes around, just try to keep an extra close eye on her to make sure she doesn't take the diaper off. This won't solve the whole problem, but at least it'll help control the poopy messes--I'd much rather clean up pee than poo!!

Hope that helps a little...best of luck to you!!
Amba Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #13  
On my way back to me

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

If she JUST turned two, she's probably not ready. IME, they are usually not ready until they are 2 1/2 closer to 3. They have to have more self control!
ChristaP516 is offline   Reply With Quote