Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #1  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Red face Embarssing Question

Ok -- I started doing 30 Day Shred on Saturday -- when I was doing the 2 minutes cardio - the jumping jacks really -- I had some ummm issues. Not sure of a polite way to say it but with leakage of my bladder during these exercises. I thought maybe I had too much coffee and so when I went to do it on Sunday I had none before the work out and I still had the same problem.

I know to do Kegel exercises and I do them but probably not as often as I should. I do have trouble with this at other times - coughing a lot or sneezing but it hasn't been that bad in a while since I have been doing the exercise.

Anyone else experience this and if so - what do you do?? I thought about wearing a pad but that's a little embarassing as well. Heck I am only 41 lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #2  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Have you talked to the doc about it? If not then I think that should be your first step. My mom had these issues when she was entirely too young for them too (I worry I will since she did). They did an operation - a "bladder tuck", but it wasn't bad. She was in the hospital for 1 night and back to normal life in under a week. As for getting to be able to do 30DS in the mean time, are you doing it as home? If so then no reason to be embarrassed of wearing a pad. If you are doing it with others they probably will not notice it anyway and if they do they will just think you have your period.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Um, have you had kids? If so, than yeppers. Motherhood has another present for us LOL
On my mom board we all started doing this around the same time and had the same issue. Specifically during the jumping jacks!!!
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #4  
Focused on the Future

Yes -- I have 2 kids lol I am wondering if I could sub one of her other exercises in place of the jumping jacks. That is the one I really have trouble with. I don't have any trouble with the others really. Must be the bounce that makes it happen lol
Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #5  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

On her other DVDs she tells you that you can sub any cardio exercise for another cardio exercise. I don't see why it would be any different for 30DS. I don't do jumping jacks much because I get pains in my ankle and foot, I jog in place when she (or anyone else) tells me to do jumping jacks. I haven't gone through the 30DS program, only done it a few times, but when I get ready to do it for the full 30 days I will probably jog or do the no rope rope jumping thing.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I *haven't* had kids and I still have this problem. I have mentioned it to my doctors (GYN and GP) and they both say 'it's because you drink so much water and work out so much, deal with it'. ::sigh:: So not the answer I wanted!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I'm 45 and have had two kids and I have the exercise issues with some higher impact exercises. I've given in recently and wear a pad for exercise. There are some really discrete one's specifically for sensitive bladders that aren't bulky and I must say it gives me the confidence to work out at my full potential knowing that I don't have to worry about those 'leaks'.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5ft 7

i'm 23, have one child and i have this issue! definitely not something i thought i would be dealing with this young, but its just another hazzard of motherhood! i dont see why you couldnt just sub one cardio exercise for another, maybe run on the spot.
Bonnie+J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm relieved to know there are others in this situation. It is terribly embarrassing even though I am home alone when i do the exercises. I usually wear a pad, and also try not to drink much before the workout (first thing in the morning after using the ladies room, lol) I do kegels regularly and it so far has not made any difference for me. I have accepted that this is something that i will have to live with, like it or not.
Jldsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #10  
Focused on the Future

it is good to know that I am not alone and others have this issue! I do try to not over drink before I work out and that does help and I will just start subbing for those exercises that seem to cause the most trouble.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I would honestly make it a point to do kegels when you can since this is the best way to keep your pubococcygeus muscle in shape. It stretchs after children and just plain old gravity will do it too....heck that is why there is a huge market for Depends. I know there are corrective surgeries out there but scar tissue of any size isn't a great thing down there esp if you like s-e-x

If it's minor try wearing a panty liner!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote