Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Working-out

The other day at work I was talking to a friend about why I am so stressed. He is a work-out freak and loves it. I am telling him why I am so stressed and I am actually on the verge of tears and he is telling me work-out. I am like great advice, NOT, how is this suppose to help. Then he explains.

He says don't you know that exercise is a great way to relief stress and actually can help people who are even depressed. It releases endorphines in your body and makes you feel good about yourself. This makes sense.

So after talking to him I decided I need to get back into a work out routine. Towards the beginning of the year I started going to the gym at my work with a friend. I loved it. My excuse since she left our work to pursue her career has been I have no one to go with me to work out.

What do you guys do to exercise? Do you go to a gym? Do you do work-out videos? Do you walk or run? Tell me what you do and if you do it with someone or by yourself. Thanks girls.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I exercise by myself. 30 Day Shred, run, and ride a stationary bike.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 113

Height: 5'2

To be honest, I'd much much rather exercise by myself. I get to work out at my own pace, and don't have to wait for the other person, nor have the other person wait for me. Plus I get into this 'war mode' when I work out. I do HIIT on the elliptical and weights, in and out in 50mins.
jewelweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

I have been walking.. I usually bring along my husband. I think it is better if you go at it with someone else. Like a buddy system. My husband is a great supporter and when I want to quit at one mile..He says "No" Keep going. He is a great motivator. And I do feel better afterwards. I would love to go to a gym. and or zumba ever tried that? But Its always to better to work out with a buddy!! because they keep you motivated and on track..
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #5  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I like to work out by myself. I can set my own pace and I don't have to worry about being bothered by someone.

My husband likes to try to work out with me, but he just annoys me and gets in my way. But that's just me, some people love to work out with someone.

I usually do Jillian Michaels videos or go out walking/jogging.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

Congrats on deciding to get back to the workouts! I completely agree with your friend - exercise always improves my mood and outlook, calms me down and helps me collect my thoughts. Plus I find it boosts my energy levels, making everything seem easier! I am a completely different (and not very enjoyable!) person when I can't work out!

Personally, I love the gym. Like - LOVE!!!! it. I love having the option to do whatever I feel like doing that day, to challenge myself with new excerises, having the option to join classes if I feel like I need a change-up. I also exercise at home, but if I'm not really motivated that day, it's so much harder! With the gym, I've gotten changed, packed my gear, driven there, hauled out my membership card, locked up my stuff etc etc... it's a lot of effort to then get there and give up!! But at home, if I'm not feeling it, my couch is soooo close and it's easier to give excuses and give up. So I'm a total gym rat!

I do have a work out buddy - someone I almost always meet up with at the gym, but we don't actually work out together, because we're at very different fitness levels. It's a nice push, because I know that if I'm going alone, she'll still ask me later "how was the gym?" and I feel like I should have an answer! But I do all my working out alone, with only Kanye West keeping me company! I will say, though, that when I was first getting really serious about my workouts, I hired a personal trainer for a bit - someone I really liked working with who showed me the ropes and what I was capable of. It made me more confident in the gym. I still see him at the gym, and he comes to check on my progress, and that helps keep me motivated as well.
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #7  

Height: 6'1

I prefer working out alone personally, because I can go at my own pace. I have a gym membership where I do the machines or take classes. Sometimes if I don't feel like leaving the house, I do workout videos (30 day shred, etc)
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I go to the gym with DH, but we do our own thing. Every once in a blue moon I will work out with a friend just to shake things up, but I enjoy working out by myself. I am more focused, don't get distracted, etc... Plus, I find a certain amount of peace when I work out.

When I work out at home absolutely no one can be anywhere near me. I don't know what that's all about. I'm more self conscious I think
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #9  

Height: 5'11

I work out at home even though I would love to join a gym but membership fees just aren't doable for me. I walk casually with my little sister and baby nephew, jog alone, cycle with my older sister at the local bike path , I also do a few workout dvds by myself....

The Biggest Loser Cardio Max
Jillian Michaels kick boxing
Turbo Jam
30 Day Shred (Just started yesterday)

I also love watching Dr. Oz and The Biggest Loser and I will create my own workout routine while watching it (Jumping jacks, running in place, squats, etc.) Every bit counts so just do what your comfortable doing.

Last edited by PammyFl; 10-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I like working out alone. If I want to be with other people, I'll do a class where at least I'm kept from slacking off because "other people can see me."
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

I love going to classes at my gym..personally I find treadmills and machines boring. I need a high motivating instructor as well. I love going to Zumba...Latin dancing/aerobics ...LOTS OF FUN! and Aqua aerobics and cardio kickboxing.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #12  
A double-chinned doctor.

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

For me, exercise is a no-talking zone and honestly, it may come off as unfriendly, but I just don't want to be bothered when working out. I really just have to focus on what I'm doing.
april714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #13  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I hate when you ask people what to do for motivation when trying to lose weight, everyone says to have a buddy work out with you. That doesn't work for me, I tried working out with my best friend, but I felt like I was slowing down for her, or leaving early because she got tired quicker. I also don't like to talk while working out, I just like to be in my zone.

If a friend is what worked for you before, try and find someone new! If you need motivation, you always have tons of people here on the 3fc board who are rooting for you! And exercising does make life better, I feel better when I exercise, I feel great all day infact.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #14  
wants to look good naked

S/C/G: 200/171.8/135

Height: 5'5"

see and i'm just the exact opposite. I need someone to talk to, someone to keep my motivated and more importantly accountable. I slack off WAY too much when it's just me.

Not to mention i have nerves through the roof. I feel like everyone's watching me, but if i'm there with a friend i never think about it.
dizzysoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #15  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i work out at the gym alone most of the time, and with a trainer once a week. classes are awesome and I loved them when i had time, lately its just been too hard to get to them but im hoping in summer i'll be able to get back to them
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote