Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #1  

Default calorie counting vs. ww points counting

I need some advice...

I have been on Weight Watchers for over ten years, and even got to lifetime. But I have been so unmotivated by the meetings and constant journaling. I am fudging on my points, and I'm just hurting myself. I have never calorie counted (which is suprising, since I've done everything else!) and wondered if this would keep me more accountable.

After reading through some of these threads, I signed up for the daily plate and plan on giving it a try. I am 52 yo female. Need to lose 25-30 lbs, but it has gotten much harder to lose at my age. I do exercise moderately 5 days a week, but because of injuries, I have to modify alot of what I do.

Does anyone have any stories or advice to share?

Last edited by fairymay; 10-12-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
fairymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #2  

You can fudge calories just like you can fudge points, so I don't necessarily believe that one is "better" than the other - at the end of the day, ANY method will work if you're committed to doing the work, just like any method can fail if you're not on-board with the plan.

For me, I didn't "click" with calorie counting - I had trouble remembering the calorie counts for common things, and just didn't like tracking numbers up to 1700 (all those numbers just made my head hurt!). So, in my case, I found WW was the method that worked for me - I can remember points values easily, and only need to track to 30. For ME, it's less stressful and something that I just DO. It's really individual, though, so it's just a matter of finding the method of keeping track that you can live with.

I DO think, though, that tracking is vital - at least in weight-loss mode. Any time I don't get the result I was working towards is usually a time when I got a bit lax with my food journal. I used to resist having to keep track of everything, but realized that it actually takes less than 5 minutes of my day and makes all the difference in the world, so I just got on with it. It's just way too east to overeat....even the healthy stuff!...if I'm not keeping track.

I think you just have to try calorie counting and see how it goes. You'll still be journaling, but maybe doing it in a different way (with a fresh plan) is something that will light that fire again! Either way, I wish you loads of luck!
SueSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

See I am the opposite. I hated remembering values for foods or worse eating and then calculating later to find out how wrong i was. I have a app on my ipod, there are WW apps too for calculating and journaling, and i use an online tracking program ( I have a bodybugg) to log my food. exercise and food all work with the sme number value, 1 calorie in 1 calorie out the key is create a deficite.
So my answer is just as annoying. the key is keeping track and being honest with yourself about numbers in vs numbers out.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 AM   #4  

Thanks for the different perspectives. I know I need to continue to keep track of my eating. So far counting calories has been easier than I thought. I think for me I feel I get more for the buck, since the calorie count is so much higher then ww points. Maybe its a head game at this point, but I'm enjoying it. This time around I am so much more aware of all foods including things like ketchup. On ww I would of let it go. I feel more accountable so far.

Interesting about the bodybug. I know they use them on the Biggest Loser. Thanks for your replies.
fairymay is offline   Reply With Quote