Old 10-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #1  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default Question for Runners

I have a question for you runners - I've started the C2K program, and I'm on Week 3, but the 3 minute runs are killing me. I'm not tired, but I can't regulate my breathing. I'm literally panting at the end of the 3 minutes, and 3 minutes isn't that long! I can do the elliptical for 90 minutes, and spin for 2 hours, but 3 minutes of running kills me. Is this something that my body is just going to have to get used to or am I doing something wrong? Help!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #2  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Im kinda in the same boat as you. when im on my treadmill I can do about four minutes, and then I have to slow down big time. . .

=/
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #3  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I'm kind of a starting runner, so I'm not sure this is what the pros would suggest... but how about slowing your pace a little bit? I try and jog at a pace just a little harder than the pace I can jog at forever. As I continue to build up endurance, that pace gets a little faster too. I made it through about 6 weeks of C25K and then got sidetracked over summer. I've started it back from the beginning and my pace has quickened a bit. So maybe another solution would be to repeat a week.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

I actually tried slowing it down. I thought that's what it was. When I'm walking I'm at 3.0, then running I had it first at 4.7 (because that's what I can do the 1.5 minutes for) but I kept lowering it. When it was at 4.0 its more like a walk than a jog...Maybe I'll just try it again...
Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #5  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

you might try a walk-run training program. This is how my friend worked up to running long distances non-stop. When you start to get too tired, walk till you catch your breath back, and then start jogging again. repeat
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Running is SO different from other exercises, that being fairly fit DID NOT prepare me for running at all. I think it's just something you need to get used to.

Before I read your last post, I was thinking maybe you were going too fast, but it doesn't sound like it. Just keep doing it. I wouldn't go on to the next week until you get this week under control, you want to be at the point where you can say a few words at a time while running, and can keep your breathing constant all the way through the running segment (I breathe in for 3 and out for 2, but everyone is different).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

Thanks all

I was thinking this week may be my "repeat" week, esp since next week kind of sucks with the moving. I was just worried b/c its like wait, I'm relatively in shape, sort of, based on how long I can exercise and how fast my heart rate comes down...but alright, I'm not dying.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Practice "Belly Breathing", when u have a moment lie down on your back and practice by breathing only through your belly, watch it rise and fall with every breath. This should help. Not an expert here but I have done 5k so that's my advice.
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

I think that's good advice. If you're breathing with your upper chest instead of lower, it's shallower and therefore harder, as far as I can tell. Also, if the panting comes on pretty quickly, it's possible you have exercise induced asthma, I suppose. I have no experience with that, but have some coworkers who talk about it. With as much time as you do one the elliptical, you should be OK at the speeds you said you do. However, you can repeat a week until you're comfortable.

Do you check your heart rate? Is is staying in a healthy range?

Now, with me personally, when starting up running again after getting out of shape, I find that I go slower building up with the run/walk thing than those programs think I should. But then, all in one week, it's like I get it all back and all of a sudden I go from struggling with five or six minutes to running for 20-30 with few problems. Then, it just keeps getting better! Maybe you'll break that wall soon and be telling us about finishing your 5K!
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

My first run through with the C25K, I felt the same way on week one. It was terrible and actually why it took two separate tries. My second try, I decided that I would repeat the weeks as many times as possible as long as I was still out there trying. Last night, I ran a 35 minute mile in the pouring rain with no walking, so it does work, just give your body a chance to catch up.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #11  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Definitely slow down a bit. Eventually, your body will catch up and you'll be able to pick up the pace. I'm on Week 8 of the C25K program and the most I can do right now is 3.7 mph. I look like a huge dork in the gym - seriously, in the mirror, it looks like I'm actually walking, even though I'm still bouncing along. But I figure that the speed will come with time.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think if you're not hurting, I would stay on schedule. When I did C25K, I think for every single one of the first 5 weeks I thought there was no way I could go on to the next. But I just did it anyway and it all worked out.

Plus, sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes for your breathing to settle in. In the early weeks, you're constantly interrupting that. You might find that, paradoxically, running a little longer lets you find that coordinated breathing. Even when I was running 30 minutes, the first half mile (which took me 6 minutes minimum) never felt right in my legs or in my breathing. And that's twice as long as your current 3 minute intervals.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

Hm. I'll try the belly breathing. I don't think I have exercise induced asthma. I've been exercising pretty regularly, 4-7 times a week for the past 8 months, so I don't think its that I'm "out of shape" but I was sick last week.

My heart rate ranges between 120 and 160 while I'm in the "working" phases. I'm 27, so that's within a normal range for fat burning (65% resting) to cardio (85% resting). A normal day on the elliptical I get up to 160 and I'm don't have the breathing issues that I have with running.

Julie - that's a good point. When I do the elliptical, it usually takes me at least 8 minutes to get over the hump, as I call it, and get within a comfortable pace.

You've all given me great advice, I'm going to try it. I have no actual 5K planned, I just wanted to try and learn to run. I'll just keep repeating the weeks until I'm good. Thanks so much for all of your input
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

I had the same problem. Still do, really. So I got a book from the library called Running for Women, or something like that, and it said breathe in for 3 and out for 2 or something, which isn't really working for me. I've also tried slowing my pace. I did really well on C25K before, but then stopped because of knee issues. Started running again and I attempted to pick back up at week 5 (5 min runs and 3 min walks x3) but I had to crap out on the third 5 min run. I made up for it on the elliptical, but I just couldn't breathe anymore! Mine was a bit different though, I wasn't panting, my lungs were just burning.

But here's something to think about. Next time you're running, pay attention to how you're breathing. Do your shoulders rise and fall when you breathe or does your stomach go out and in? You're supposed to breathe through your belly and it really took me a long time to learn to breathe while exercising. When you breathe in your chest (shoulders rising and falling) that can actually cause hyperventilation.

Edit: Just saw that someone before me posted almost the same thing about belly breathing. Oh well.

Last edited by brooksrm; 10-09-2009 at 11:54 PM.
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #15  
Brighter than the moon!

I'm no stranger to hyperventilation - I've had panic attacks for years - and now that you say that, it does feel like that. I'm going to try belly breathing Sunday morning.

Thanks!