Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Feeling frustrated with the plan

I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks. THis is my third week on the program and I have been sticking to it very well. I have also been getting in an hour of exercise a day -generally 5 or 6 days a week. My first week I lost 3 pounds. The scale is stuck. I am drinking my water and doing what I should. And I know muscle weighs more than fat, so please don't use that as a suggestion because my clothes don't fit any differently yet. So, please send some encouragement my way!
Thanks
Saggy
Old 07-23-2002, 05:13 PM   #2  

Hang in there. This happens to a lot of people. When I was losing, I lost 3 pounds the first week, too, then didn't lose anything for another 4 weeks. Then all at once I lost 6 pounds.

It can be very discouraging, but stay with it and eventually the weight will come off!

Good luck,
-Jamie
Old 07-23-2002, 10:46 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

You didn't give us much to go on. There are alot of factors that may be contributing:

1) when you first start to work out or change your activity (including increasing or decreasing your intenisity) your muscles will naturally retain water. This is a temporary problem. This will show as either no gain or a slight gain

2) make sure you are weighing and measuring all portions. Also make sure to read the labels carefully. My first mistake was that wonderful huge muffin that was only 2 points. yeah 2 points per serving with 3 servings per muffin. LOL! What a shock to me.

3) make sure you are eating enough points. When you are exercising eat most all your points until you get your activity information so you can adjust the points accordingly

4) Are you eating balanced? Or just stayig within your point range? Make sure you get in some protein and some real fats (butter, oils, real salad dressing, real mayo). If you don't get in enough fat or protein your loss will slow or there won't be any at all.

These are just some suggestions.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:33 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Saggy: I echo the same things as Kelly...make sure you're eating enough. As a receptionist/weigher I've seen members come in and get frustrated because the scale isn't moving. You need to eat to lose and if you're exercising that much you may need to increase your points. I would also suggest that you talk to your leader, show her/him your journal for the week and get some input. It will all balance out
Old 07-24-2002, 10:33 AM   #5  

This is difficult to do, but you have to think long term. I wasn't the type of person who lost every week, and I've met others at WW who were similar (like jdoll). Over time, my loss seemed to follow a pattern where I would lose a few pounds every few weeks (usually 2-3 lbs every 3 weeks). Rarely did I lose 2 weeks in a row. I also agree with Kelly on her first point. When I started running, my weight actually increased a bit and my thighs got bigger - not what I was looking for. Over time, the scale and my measurements started going in a more favorable direction. Hang in there, and try as hard as you can to think long term.

Last edited by Rupertsmom; 07-24-2002 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:25 PM   #6  

Default Plateau

Hi, don't know if this will help you, but

I made a deal with myself when I started out -- my goal is to loose 1 lb a week (averaged out) for an entire year (then I will be around my goal).

The reason I did this is because I know the body cannot possibly lose weight EVERY week. In fact, it's almost a guarantee that I will go weeks at a time without losing anything. I actually even threw my scale away. I just don't want to be dealing with that kind of stress over something that I know is going to happen. When I do loose, it's usually like 5lbs, 5lbs, 5lbs, then nothing for a while, but it all evens out in the end.

Just think healthy, don't agonize. Have fun.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:28 PM   #7  

Muscle and fat and everything else in the world weighs the SAME!!!!!!! A pound is a pound is a pound!!!!! Fat takes up more space than muscle!!!!
Old 07-24-2002, 01:20 PM   #8  

I know my body tends to react to weight loss in weird ways. I'll do very well, on a steady downtrend, for weeks at a time. then suddenly my body *will not let go* of the weight for a while. At those times, if I stay on track, I usually see a pretty big loss at some point. Almost as if my body was trying to *hide* the weight loss from me for a while? Very weird.

Some things to look for: make sure you are being *very* honest in your journal. Especially in the first few weeks, when you are trying to get used to the Points system, you need to make sure that *everything* in your mouth gets counted and that it gets counted correctly (that is, are you really measuring portion sizes correctly, etc?). Drink *lots* of water. Try getting just ten minutes of extra exercise everytime you get active.

Some people also have success by varying their points. That is, eat the high end for a day or two, then at the low, and keep varying it for a while. I don't know *why* this works, but it has worked for me and many people swear by it.

Stick with it! Even without a measurement on the scale, you are doing things that will let you live a healthier life . . . and all of those things will add up to a successful loss on the scale.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:57 AM   #9  

Default Don't Give Up!!!!

Hi Saggy,

There are some great suggestions here for you. I would just like to say that the weight you want to lose did not just come on all of a sudden, therefore it will take time for it to go off.

Don't be discouraged with the plan. Remember its a change in your lifestyle. If you are doing everything right then how long can your body hang on to the extra weight. Give it time. Take confort in knowing you are a healthier person because you are drinking more water, excercising and eating right.

The WW program works differently for everyone. Are you eating all the points that you should be eating. I find that i need to eat at the high end of my range to keep the scale tipping slightly in my favor. Also for your excercise points are you exchanging them for food. When you excercise your body actually needs more food for fuel. If you are eating too little your body will hold it all because it thinks that you are starving yourself. WW is based on a weekly basis. At the end of your 7 day period you should add up all you points used and divide by 7 to see what you averaged daily. Experiment with this number. Also someone mentioned that you should vary your points intake daily. This is so true. You want to eat at high end one day and slightly lower the next. This keeps your body guessing and therefore your body can not get used to eating the same amount daily. Remember that variety is the spice of life. Try different things.

Most importantly you are on the right track, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Your body will have to give in sooner or later.

I hope this helps.

Bluesky :wave
Old 07-25-2002, 01:47 PM   #10  

Everyone has made some good suggestions. You should also watch your salt/sodium intake.

There was a woman in my meeting that did everything that you are doing (exercising, journaling, etc). She told the group she was always within her point range and ate out once a week using her banked points. She did not lose for four weeks. When she was asked what a typical days food was for her she said she had a salad with lunch and dinner and a frozen WW meal. That was obviously too much salt for her body. She started losing again after adjusting her meals.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:37 PM   #11  

Hang in there! I too, am having a rough time now, but plan to go one day at a time and hope to see a diference again soon, before I get discouraged as well. This plan does work, you just have to have patience! Again, not my strobng suit!

Michelle
Old 07-28-2002, 05:16 PM   #12  

thanks for all your suggestions. I lost 2 pounds this week for a grand total of 5. i will keep on plugging away!
Closed Thread