Old 10-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #1  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Default Do you also limit your carbs?

WHat is your % brake down carbs/fats/protein

I have been losely counting my calories and each day it gets better but Ive noticed that most foods that I eat are mainly carbs. I think that I need to change it and add more protein so Im just curious about what others are doing. THank you
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #2  
~*Calorie Counter*~

S/C/G: 387.2/TICKER/<250

Height: 5'4"

I don't limit my carbs, I just choose 100% Whole Wheat whenever I have bread, tortillas, pasta, etc. The basic ratio I came across - for a 2000 calorie plan - was this:
Carbs: 50% / 250g
Protein: 25% / 125g
Fat: 25% / 55g
I don't know how close I am to that though, lol. I just try to eat fruits, veggies, lean meat, get some dairy, and choose 100% Whole Wheat.
Good luck!
EarthyWitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't do a percentage, but I don't eat any refined carbs and I avoid/limit even WW breads or pasta, brown rice, corn, potatoes, etc. I find that if I miimize starchy foods in my diet, it's a lot easier to stay on plan.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  
Carelessy Creative

S/C/G: 211.5/164.3/145

I try to limit my carbs, but when I do have them it is always whole grain or whole wheat. Although when it's possible for me I try to avoid them altogether except for breakfast, since I usually eat cereal or oatmeal.
shaunabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

The recommended nutrient % mix for carbs/protein/fats for women is around 40/30/30. I generally keep 40% carbs as my high end because I'm managing type 2 diabetes, and I increase the lean protein. I don't eat any refined carbs, and part of my daily carb and protein sources come from legumes.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

When I count calories my carbs naturally go down anyway.. on my good days my carbs can be from 100-200.

It probably also depends if you exercise hard and often, your body needs carbs balanced with some protein when you exercise to fuel and repair your muscles.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I try to limit my carbs but I don't eliminate them. I exercise a lot so I don't have the option of getting rid of carbs anyway. I do little things like when having a sandwich I remove one of the slices of bread. I'm the queen of potatoes so I am capable of sitting down to 3 or 4 or 5 baked potatoes at one meal but I limit myself to one. I keep rice to a 1 cup serving, pasta and noodles down 200gram servings. For me it's about portion control.

Carbs have a LOT of calories so it only makes sense to try to control them a bit.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

I love carbs and do not specifically limit them. However, because I do limit my calorie intake and I want to be sure that I get enough protein in my diet, the amount of carbs is naturally somewhat limited. I do try to work in complex carbs where I can.

If I start trying to limit too many things I just get irritable. A few days ago I mentioned to a friend that I had found a very tasty and filling microwave dinner that I really liked because of the amount of food that I was getting for the calories. She responded by telling me that I needed to watch it because those prepared dishes have so much sodium.

I'm sorry but I cannot limit everything. I do not have any health problems so I am not going to worry about limiting carbs or sodium. I might try to work healthy things into my diet, but I feel that for now it is enough that I am restricting my calories and trying to include some healthful choices in my daily diet. I do not want to have to deal with anything else.

If someone is diabetic or has high blood pressure, it's different, but for a person in general good health, I don't think carbs are a problem.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #9  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

I don't pay attention to anything but calories, and trying to have a balanced diet. More recent studies are suggesting that percentage of fats/carbs/proteins dont really effect weight loss as much as was thought. They're saying it's much more about calories in vs. calories out. Here's one of a few articles I have found.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/25/best.diet/
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

For me personally, where my calories come from matters - a lot.

I do eat carbs and lots of them. But they are the ones that come from veggies and fruits. I don't do well with any others. The other bulk of my calories come from low fat proteins.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
I don't do a percentage, but I don't eat any refined carbs and I avoid/limit even WW breads or pasta, brown rice, corn, potatoes, etc. I find that if I miimize starchy foods in my diet, it's a lot easier to stay on plan.
this is what works best for me
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by emileigh View Post
I'm sorry but I cannot limit everything. I do not have any health problems so I am not going to worry about limiting carbs or sodium. I might try to work healthy things into my diet, but I feel that for now it is enough that I am restricting my calories and trying to include some healthful choices in my daily diet. I do not want to have to deal with anything else.

If someone is diabetic or has high blood pressure, it's different, but for a person in general good health, I don't think carbs are a problem.
I'm with you on this! I'm a binger so for now the only thing I can handle is to limit my calories and portions. I don't want to worry about sodium or protein versus carbs, etc. I just want to get my body (and mind) used to eating less.

In the future I do plan to be more careful about sodium and other things, but I can't change my life with one decision. The point is I'm changing my life one hurdle at a time.... it's the only way I know how to stick with it and not run screaming into the arms of fried chicken.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't limit my carbs and I am definitely following a high carb/low fat diet. What carbs I do eat are important to me though. I eat lots of veggies, legumes, some fruit and some whole grains. I don't eat a lot of bread or pasta, even the whole grain type. I have a couple servings of fruit per day and lots and lots of veggies every day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #14  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthyWitch13 View Post
I don't limit my carbs, I just choose 100% Whole Wheat whenever I have bread, tortillas, pasta, etc. The basic ratio I came across - for a 2000 calorie plan - was this:
this is pretty much what I do as well, I'm vegetarian and I found when I was veggie years ago that I spent 6 months eating that way, and didn't lose (or gain) a single lb. so now I try and limit my carbs to complex carbs and not eat too much of them. I am usually under on my range, by a lot, but, I think that it recommends far too much anyhow.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #15  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

I *try* and keep my carb intake to about 130 grams a day. I eat most of my carbs from whole grain sources like whole wheat bread, beans and starchy veg. Carbs have about 4 calories per gram so I get about 500+ calories from carbs daily. For me, carbs are the best part of any meal...lol, I limit them by using moderation but I could easily say heck with protein and become a carbotarian if I wasn't so health concious.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote