Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Question about Plateau

Hi,

I have a quick question, I have recently lost 45 pounds (yay!) with 50 more to get me to a healthy range for my height. The problem is I have hit a plateau and am no longer losing. What can I do to change this?

I was jogging daily but because of school starting I can't do that. I do jog at least 3 times a week, I do yoga at least twice a week and I do a work out video about 3-4 times a week. How can I jump start my weight loss again?

Thank you in advance.
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fat-...hrough-me.html

Hi there!

Great job on your loss so far! I copied a link to a thread I just posted - it's about Extreme Fat Smash. I think it would be a GREAT plateau buster! Good luck to you!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm wondering what your definition of a plateau is. How long has this been going on? Plateaus of several weeks are normal for many of us during weight loss. Weight loss isn't linear.

You also said that you recently started exercising less -- does this coincide with the plateau? If so, then either upping the intensity of the exercise you are doing, or decreasing the amount of food you're eating might do it.

It's also possible it will go away on its own!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Food journaling gets me out of every plateau since I do WW. I eat healthier when I have to face a little notebook, and the word "apple" or "grapefruit" is whole lot prettier to read than "Cheetos" or "McDonald's burger and fries."
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Excellent answers already. I pushed through a couple plateaus by mixing up my calories and exercise. Sounds like you have changed your exercise routine, so changing your food is worth a try.

And, a food journal was a MUST for me as well!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You mentioned your exercise regimen, but what about your food intake?

How's that been of late? How many calories are you consuming? Are you measuring accurately? Are you having any unaccounted for tastes and bites? Is there anyway you're underestimating? Have you had any "off" eating episodes? All of these could cause a stall....
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

yes, we need more information, lol. what plan are you on? if you're counting calories, you might try cycling your calorie intake. it was totally skeptical of this plan but after 2 weeks of doing it id lost 2lb after 6 weeks of losing nothing.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is quite normal to hit a plateau during the course of weight loss, it has happened to me and many others. I, wonder, too, how long has this been going on, weeks ? months ? If it is only a week or two I wouldn't consider it a plateau. How many calories are you eating daily ? 42 pounds is a great loss. Remember the less we weigh the fewer calories we need to maintain. I would reevaluate my calories and exercise and see what I can adjust, although sometimes to break a plateau we just have to keep on doing what we have been doing. It is frustrating but will not last forever.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #9  
wsw

congrats on all the weight you have lost! good for you!

i have lost 52 pounds and have about 48 more to go, and i plateau a lot. i had just been on a 19 day plateau, and had been sticking completely to my calories, and journal my food every day, etc. sometimes for me, it takes changing up my food plan; sometimes changing my exercise routine, and sometimes neither one, and it just breaks. i know how maddening it is, believe me! i really sympathize. one thing i was thinking about today, in fact, when i finally de-plateaued, was that as long as i hang in there on my program, and just keep trying the different tricks until something works, i am always glad that i toughed it out. hang in there, and congrats on your great success so far!
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/160/110

Height: 5/2

Default ZigZag works!!!

I was on a plateau for about 1 month but went to the zigzag calculator by Natural Physiques and put in my weight and picked up my exercise and yahoo the number started going down again. Of course, I was not as good about exercise as you sound but I have learned my lesson. LOL I like the zigzag (calorie cycling) approach,(the big cal days make it easier to live with the low cal days) but you have to stick to it pretty exactly and not let it give you an excuse to eat crazy. I plug in my food on fitday so I know I am hitting the number pretty closely.

I started zigzaging at the beginning of this month and although I have only lost 4lbs, I have lost an inch off my hips and an inch off my gut. That is since September 4th. Not bad I think. But then I really don't care how fast I lose as long as I am making progress. I figure it took me quit a while to put it on so any loss is better than getting bigger or being stuck on the yucky plateau. It is all progress and better for my health. Plus, I know I sound like a girly girl here but... I like how my clothes look better each week on me. I actually went and bought some new things to wear as a reward. Nice feeling!!!

mddieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
yes, we need more information, lol. what plan are you on? if you're counting calories, you might try cycling your calorie intake. it was totally skeptical of this plan but after 2 weeks of doing it id lost 2lb after 6 weeks of losing nothing.
Hey Julia!

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing the Zig Zag calculator. I have always experienced when I go "off plan" for a couple of days during a plateau, the scale starts moving. I'm going to try this on an ongoing, more official basis with this zig zag calculator info. So thanks!

For anyone who's interested, I just posted on my blog today a little about going off plan to kick start weight loss during a plateau, and also an interesting experience I had with "intentional cheating". I think my stomach is shrinking, my appetite definitely is! Here is the post:

http://mindbodymakeover.blogspot.com...ow-energy.html
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #12  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyP View Post
Hey Julia!

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing the Zig Zag calculator. I have always experienced when I go "off plan" for a couple of days during a plateau, the scale starts moving. I'm going to try this on an ongoing, more official basis with this zig zag calculator info. So thanks!

For anyone who's interested, I just posted on my blog today a little about going off plan to kick start weight loss during a plateau, and also an interesting experience I had with "intentional cheating". I think my stomach is shrinking, my appetite definitely is! Here is the post:

http://mindbodymakeover.blogspot.com...ow-energy.html

yes isnt that odd? i guess your body just gets so used to the amount of calories you're eating that it needs a kick to get the weight loss started again.
im on my third week of zig zag so we'll see if it keeps helping!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote