Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Tell me about your first 5K

So....I'm thinking of signing up for a 5K that's happening in a nearby town in mid-October. I'm feeling cautious, though, because not only have I never been in a 5K, I've never even SEEN one done so I have no idea what to expect! The website for the race indicates the following:

- It's for charity; this year, the money will go towards funding mammograms to low income women. Cool! Good cause, I can dig it.

- In the past, it hasn't been a "race" but now there is a race component. (I'm not sure what this means--will I be left in the dust and feel embarassed as a new runner?) The site also says that walkers, families, strollers, etc are still welcome.

- It looks like I may need a sponsor or a team or something. I might need to research a little more.

Anyway....how did your first 5k go? Did you go with a buddy? A team? Solo? How much running did you have under your belt before your first race? I'm not going for the gold, but I also don't want to be the brave straggler who comes in a long time after the crowd has dispersed, either.

So, soothe my fears. Tell me that it's not a crazy idea that I should sign up for a 5k. Currently I can run (OK, well, jog) for about 2 miles. For instance, tonight I did a 2.3 mile route and it took me about 30 minutes. There was probably less than 10 minutes of walking but I can't be sure about that. Am I crazy?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I look forward to hearing responses to this too!

I am signed up for my first 5K in October (also for charity...Breast Cancer ) and am worried about being embarrassed too.

I have run a few 5Ks on my treadmill with 5 minute walk warm up and then a walk break or two in the middle and it takes almost 45 minutes.

What is reasonable to expect for a new runner to do a 5K in?

(Thank you windchime fo rasking this question!!)

Last edited by momof5k; 09-10-2009 at 01:07 AM.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #3  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I'll let you know on Monday after my first race!

Seriously, though... here's a little about my race this coming Sunday:

-It's Race for the Cure which I'm sure a lot of people have heard of. For our event, there is a 5k race (untimed... just a "fun run") and a 5k walk that starts 15 minutes after the race. I did the walk last year and from what I remember not THAT many people did the race...maybe 300-400 or so.

One of the big "unknowns" for me is how it's going to be running with hundreds of other people. I only run by myself and sometimes with a running partner right now. I wonder how complicated or crowded it will be with 300 fellow runners.

- I started running back in February and it took me quite awhile to work up to 3 miles, but I was VERY out of shape. Right now I run about 15 miles a week, but I am also looking ahead to a 10k in November.

Runner's World recently sent out this e-mail... I think you might find it helpful:

Tips to Prepare for your first 5k
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #4  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

First, great job on signing up for you 5K. That's a great step forward.

Second, you're NOT crazy!! I totally understand how you feel but trust me you'll love it.

I'm no pro and fairly new to running myself. I did two 5Ks this year and it was great. My first one was in May '09. I did them both with my husband. Having said that, I might as well have been running solo as he's faster than I am. So, I was just chugging along with my iPod focused on finishing the race.

I'm a treadmill runner and have been on the track only few times. I used to run on and off before my first 5K. But, the month prior to my first 5K I became more consistent. Now, I run 3-4 times/week on my treadmill.

I'm not a fast runner but my main goal for these races was to complete the race. Your time will improve overtime. Most importantly, have fun! You'll see the energy on race day is so great. Don't forget to pick up your race packet.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

Thanks you guys! FatPants, I read the link--very helpful indeed. I will go by myself if I need to but I am hoping to find a buddy from work to go with me. I think I'd feel better with a running partner but either way I really want to do it!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

I am doing my first 5k on September 26th. It is HUGE. Womens Fitness Celebration and it is the biggest in the country. 12,000 women +. They have several different "waves". The fastest being the red wave which is to run it in less than 35 minutes. I think that is what I am doing.... a bit scary.

Candice
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

The first 5k is the most exciting ... Go for it, go with the flow, follow the crowd, I guarantee if you've been running a bit you will not be the last one and you will never be enbarassed, just the adrenaline and excitement will keep you going...

My first 5k I was going to run/walk it, but I was so excited I ran the whole way, the wind just took me
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #8  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

My first race was actually a 10K - which was VERY scary! I had run 5K before in practice and had managed to get up to 4.3 miles before the 10K - but that was 6.2 miles and I was quite worried.

But the atmosphere in a race is SO different to running it on your own. It's not about winning - there can only be one winner and most of us won't be it. I thought I'd be near the end, but I ended up somewhere in the middle - even though I got beaten by a tomato and a penguin!

I did do a 5K later with a couple of the girls from my choir but they were slow so it wasn't my best time - lol. But the buzz you get from completing your first race is amazing - when I did my first 10K I felt so on top of the world - like I could do it all over again.

You will love it.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #9  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

My first 5K is next Sunday the 20th! I'm so excited! And nerrrrrrrvous!

How much should I focus on making it up to 3 miles before Race Day? I'm currently running 2 miles in the morning before a walk break.
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Im doing my first one the 19th and im NERVOUS too, mostly because it will be with a bunch of people i know (WORK 5k) but it will be good, my husband is doing it with me so that will help
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

My first 5k was in January 2008 in the frigid cold (I think it was -10 C, not sure what that is in F). It was quite difficult as for some reason I thought shorts were appropriate. I think I did it in 32 minutes. I could run faster on a treadmill in the heat, lol.

I went with a girlfriend who was of equal fitness to me so it made it really fun. At the end of the race, they served hot chili and bananas/oranges/hot chocolate.

We do it annually now!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharongracepjs View Post
My first 5K is next Sunday the 20th! I'm so excited! And nerrrrrrrvous!

How much should I focus on making it up to 3 miles before Race Day? I'm currently running 2 miles in the morning before a walk break.
I wouldn't worry too much about it the adrenaline and excitement will take you the rest of the way...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

AWESOME!

So many first time 5K'ers!

JUST DO IT

I did my first 5K a little over 12 years ago....it was the second day of not smoking after smoking for 27 years....I did not train for one second....

My time was well over an hour as I walked it...with my wife and daughter...son ran and came back and walked with me....

fast forward....I ended up running them in times of 18-25 minutes, depending on the training and difficulty of the race.

I walk them now.....

I am so proud of you all for doing them....

You will all do fine....

ONE HINT ~ Do not go out too fast....you can always pick up speed near the 2.5 mile mark if you need to....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Well, I run a 5K or 10K a few times every week. The only time I have TIMED myself was EZ Money's Mother's Day 5K. I made it in 30 minutes. Woohoo! With Fall approaching I feel like I am mentally prepared for a formal 5K. There are several in my town planned.

Does strength training improve running times? Please advise. I am starting to do indoor rock climbing. Also, I do push ups, leg lifts, crunches, etc several times daily.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Also, would additional weight loss improve running times?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote