Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Default Has anyone stopped smoking and lost weight?

I am so stressed! I have worked so hard to lose those 40 lbs and now that I have quit smoking almost 2 weeks ago all I can do is think about eating! I do OK on most days during the week while I'm at work but by the time I get home all I want to do is eat!

Is it asking too much to try to be healthy by quitting smoking and trying to lose weight too? I tell myself that as long as I don't gain more than about 5 lbs I will be happy but I've been overweight so long that I want this weight off!

Any suggestions would help. Thanks
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I started my weight loss journey July 21, 2008. I quit smoking.

Here is a response I gave to another member who asked me about my quitting smoking

I was a dedicated 2 pack a day smoker for 21 years. Not to seem flaky or anything but just being honest here - I read a book by Allen Carr, "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". Now, I am not endorsing the book or saying it some miracle solution, all I can tell is what my experience was. I read the book...took me about a month because I kept putting it off and putting it off. When I finished reading it entirely, it was at 10:30pm. At 1am I had a cigarette and then I just never had another. I have not, thankfully, had any cravings or withdrawals. My boyfriend still smokes but he does so outside now and not from fear that I will want one but because the smell truly disgusts me now.

As far as not turning to food when I quit smoking, as I didn't really experience any cravings and the such but my hands were "empty" more than usual, lol so for me I just busied myself. I read a book or play games on the net, work puzzles, take a relaxing bath, give myself a manicure or pedicure, read blogs on the net...anything that will distract me and my mind from food.

Just like with weight loss, quitting smoking takes dedication and determination and it CAN be done without pills, patches or hypnosis...just as weight loss can be achieved without those as well . I wish you all the success with weight loss and quitting smoking.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

I quit smoking too at the same time I started to diet, and luckily the stricter diet has helped me to lose weight as opposed to gaining. But, I did not quit smoking cold turkey. I'm not as strong as Onederchic (Michelle, awesome work by the way)! I used Commit and just take half of a lozenge when I absolutely HAVE TO. I simply couldn't do it without them, I wish I had read that book it sounds very interesting!

If gaining weight is outweighing your desire to quit smoking maybe you should look into a quit smoking aid yourself. If you don't want to use an aid maybe you should just quit smoking first and worry about weight loss later. I just don't see any other way around it. The smoking is much worse for your health than the extra 5 pounds would be.

Jeff
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzzzz View Post
I quit smoking too at the same time I started to diet, and luckily the stricter diet has helped me to lose weight as opposed to gaining. But, I did not quit smoking cold turkey. I'm not as strong as Onederchic (Michelle, awesome work by the way)! I used Commit and just take half of a lozenge when I absolutely HAVE TO. I simply couldn't do it without them, I wish I had read that book it sounds very interesting!

If gaining weight is outweighing your desire to quit smoking maybe you should look into a quit smoking aid yourself. If you don't want to use an aid maybe you should just quit smoking first and worry about weight loss later. I just don't see any other way around it. The smoking is much worse for your health than the extra 5 pounds would be.

Jeff
Thanks so much, Jeff!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I quit smoking as well near the same time I started losing weight. I also quit drinking alcohol at the same time. They all went hand in hand for me, but food was always my first true love. I just decided that if I was going to be miserable, I was was going to get it all over with at once. It wasn't so bad....(though my family might not agree with me.)
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #6  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i dont have the willpower of these ladies above me. i am a heavy smoker and think that if i stopped now, id lose my will to diet. my plan is to work on quitting when i hit goal. i will be feeling healthier and have more motivation to quit. i know it will still be hard, but i figure if i can hit my goal weight, i can do ANYTHING.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Thanks to you all for your input, it's nice to know that there are other people who have quit smoking and lost weight instead of gaining.

I quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago this coming Monday and I really didn't think I was going to have this problem with overeating. I have struggled to quit smoking for many years now and am praying that this is it as I have no desire to continue to smoke. I had a really bad evening last night, stopped at the convenience store on the way home and at a bag of Cheetos puffs with a diet Dr Pepper on the way home and then I ate an entire box of honey buns and half a pizza for dinner. I have never done this! When it was all over and I was sick I sat on the couch and I decided right then and there that I'm not going to do this to myself. I don't think this sort of bingeing is being caused by not smoking but stress I am feeling at work right now and I've just got to find an alternative to stuffing my face since I refuse to smoke. Maybe it's time for me to put the old tennis shoes on and start walking.
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Since quitting smoking a little over a year ago I would say I have lost an additional 12-15 lbs.
I still have cravings but I quit cold turkey and gave myself a quit date beforehand. I pumped myself up that I would quit and change my life and be a healthier person all round. It is possible to lose weight at the same time as quitting smoking.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote