Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Cheating and trying to be a normal chick in their 20's!

Do you guys cheat on your diets or your eating well plans and how often?

The other day I had frozen yogurt... and a piece of pizza. Plus, I went out twice for meals! Once was sushi and the other was for alcoholic drinks and I got a salad.

How long does it take the food to turn into fat? I came home because I had been away a couple days (hence the cheating) and I actually lost 2 pounds! I'm kinda scared the fat just hasn't kicked in from that pizza slice yet!

Do you guys find it hard to be good when your friends want to go out for dinner or to party? :S

I don't want to be a downer but I don't want everytime I'm with my friends to turn into a cheating frenzy!
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I don't cheat. I decided that "dieting" was a recipe for failure. Thus, I calorie count, and I incorporate social events into my planning. Thus, going out with friends, parties, weddings, vacations, etc. don't throw me off my plan.

For me, it is a lifestyle change. I don't do well with deprivation, thus I just plan, plan, plan for all those fun events that come my way

I make wise choices, for instance - there are lots of pizza choices, and some are much better than others . Same thing with beverages. Planning really is the key!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I calorie count as well. This works for me because I have no "forbidden" foods. If I know I'm going out for dinner, I eat less throughout the day. If it's spontaneous, I sometimes split the meal in half and do half on that day and half on the next day, pretending as if I've already eaten that amount. Ie, if I eat something that's 1000 calories on Monday, I'll count 500 on Monday and 500 on Tuesday, and make sure that number's included in Tuesday's calorie count. That way I don't overeat.

What you could also do is find out if the restaurant you're going to has an online menu and make sure you pick meals with a low calorie count. A lot of restaurants will post their menus and their nutritional information online.
canadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

Its not cheating if you just eat in moderation. One piece of pizza isn't going to cause you to gain. I don't have cheat days, quit drinking, and can't remember the last time I had fast food. That said, I still go out with my friends a lot, and don't say know to food that I want. I just have to budget them in. Dieting is simply about burning more calories than we consume.
hiimnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I should try counting calories more. Right now I just kinda glance at the boxes nuitrition guide and guesstimate if I can have it or if it'll push me over.

Looking at restaurants menu ahead of time is a great idea as well as splitting the meal. I've done that a few times before with a friend because A) it's cheaper! and B) it's less food! Restaurants give such huge portions.

CountingDown, I'm trying to make it a lifestyle change too. I'm not really eating too differently, just not eating as much junk. As well as not eating as much since my portions were huge before :S
Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #6  

Height: 5'2

We all cheat once in a while but don't spend time beating yourself about it, just let it go and get back on track... Sushi is actually very healthy but as or the alcoholic drinks, they are a big No No..

I also think you are on the right, this should be more of a lifestyle change than just being on diet...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

I don't cheat on my diet becuse I can't cheat because I have no rules. I'm not really sure why you should feel bad about a slice of pizza and some frozen yogurt. On the high side, assuming you had a normal sized portion, that might be 700 calories. If you ate 3 700 calorie meals a day that would only be 2100 calories, only 100 calories over the daily recommended of 2000. It takes 3500 calories to make 1lb of fat so you might gain 1/35th of a pound. When I put it that way it doesn't sound too bad does it. You should go out and enjoy your pizza and forget this notion about "good" and "bad" foods. Its really only about calories.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #8  

Thanks for the support guys.

Benchmarkman, you're right. I shouldn't worry to much about a slice of pizza probably. As long as I don't do it every day or let one slice turn into two or three or four... it should be good! It's also good to know how much calories it takes to make a pound of fat. Pretty sure I didn't touch that! I should really read up more on this stuff, I'm kinda just winging it and exercising and eating healthier but I guess that's a good a start as any

Size8, I kow sushi is not too bad for you but I ate A LOT of it. I love sushi and I stuff myself on it every time guaranteed :P
Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #9  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I hate trouble eating in front of other people (besides my DF or other people trying to lose weight). I unintentionally will cheat then. But other then that, I will plan out my meals or when I won't be home. I calorie count/cycle and make room for treats. But just remember, one slip up won't kill you. You just have to get back on the wagon and keep chugging!

Last edited by WormwoodDoll; 08-24-2009 at 03:25 PM.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote