Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #1  

Default Anyone else GAIN weight on Prozac?

My doctor seems to think I am crazy but he switched my meds from sertraline to prozac, no other changes were made and I gained 28 lbs between the switch and my follow up appointment 1 month later. He says there is no way and that prozac does not cause weight gain but I was following basically the same daily routine and didn't notice any real changes in eating or exercise (not that I exercise but like I said no change) during that month. My weight had been stable at about 206 for nearly 6 months and suddenly I ballooned back up to 234. Which had been normal for me for a while. The sertraline does nothing for my depression and I seemed to be getting even more depressed on it i.e. the change, now the prozac not only hasn't seemed effective but I am even more upset by the weight gain. The doctor says well maybe there is no med for me maybe there is nothing they can do which I find really frustrating because before this appointment we seemed to be working well together. I am just so down and don't know what to do so any advice or comments would be appreciated.
snugglefaery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

oh YES
I am at my heaviest and struggling for 9 years with weight.I was a slim girl before Prozac. Granted my job has gone from active to desk,but wow.But I can't stop the Prozac and survive, so a struggling I go
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #3  

Well I hate you are struggling with it too but it feels a bit better not to be so alone in it. /hugs
Old 07-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Prozac made me crazy and gain weight. And by crazy, I mean Jerry-Springer-Chair-Throwing crazy.

Last edited by marbear24; 07-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #5  

Effexor did that to me. My boss at the time was the one who suggested I go see someone about my depression otherwise I probably would have gotten fired because after about 3 days I lost my flippin' mind. I was a bank teller and a customer actually thought I was on drugs because I changed so much in a few days :S
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #6  
thininside

S/C/G: 200/185/150

Height: 5-8

Your Doctor said what???????

It is time to change doctors. Obviously, he lacks the experience and knowledge to help you. Are you going to a psychiatrist, psychologist, or your regular doctor?

There are many anti-depressants out there and it is a crap-shoot sometimes to find the one that helps you. You have only tried two. Some people have luck with Wellbutrin and losing weight. Some also have adverse affects and can't take it.

Hang in there Snugglefaery, you WILL lose this weight.
oogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #7  

He is a psychiatrist and he's out of the same office as my therapist and she is actually helpful. I thought it was really premature him saying that too. I have taken several meds in the past but there are tons I haven't tryed I think he was just frustrated, maybe the way I went in or maybe something different but I was really upset and still am. I just want someone to stop brushing me off. They put me on something, decide ok this should work and leave it at that I get worse and worse then boom end up in the ER because I can't take it any longer. The guy I was seeing before this one completely ignore everything I said and eventually I gave up, in April I took 800mg of Temazepam to try and end things for good, they found me right in time although I wish they hadn't and took me to the hospital I was unconcious for almost 3 days and almost died several times. I was put inpatient after that for the second time in 4 months. When I got out my mom searched and finally found another place I could go within 100 miles. I haven't worked since October because of depression, anxiety and migraines. I'm exhausting all my families resources but I just can not be out in public without massive panic attacks, I am currently trying to get on temporary disability to not lose my house and I feel like a complete and utter failure for that. I have worked with nothing more than a week's vacation since I was 17 now I'm this pathetic person that can't leave my house.

Sorry for the ramble truly I am.

Last edited by snugglefaery; 07-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #8  
thininside

S/C/G: 200/185/150

Height: 5-8

Don't feel shy about changing psychiatrists just because he is in the same office. If he can't cope with you, then find someone who can.

And don't feel a failure for trying for disability. You have paid into it since you were 17 and one of its purposes is for times like these.

I went through a period where I could not leave the house without panic attacks and anxiety attacks. I did get through it - it took a while - and you will get through it too. Be gentle with yourself. No more trips to the brink.

Exercise does help your mental health(listen to me - hah - it has been the hardest thing for me to START to do). Even a walk around the block. Can you test to see if you can do a short walk by yourself without a panic attack?
Walks are good because you don't really have to interact with anyone and it starts the process of getting more comfortable being outside. Also a good psychologist can teach you things to do to help control panic attacks.
oogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #9  

Thank you oogi, I am trying to get by and I appreciate all the replies. I am trying not to give up and to keep moving along but it is disheartening still.

Y'all are all so great and and thanks for the replies.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Well gee whiz! Maybe thats why I got fat all of a sudden!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #11  
Get Thin Within

S/C/G: 307/275/150

Height: 5' 7

Yes, Prozac will cause serious weight gain. He's a Dr. he should know the side effects to these meds before prescribing them. I gained 10 lbs my first week taking it. My Dr. warned me ahead of time that I would more than likely gain weight. I didn't realize how quickly. I am off it now. I gained 60 lbs on Depokote and Lithium is awful too!!! Welbutrin doesn't cause any weight gain. I really hope you get the help you need and that things will get better for you soon. If it means finding another Dr. He should have never said that. Your life and well-being is precious and worth fighting for and he should support you as much as possible.
Natoshial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I haven't gained a pound on Prozac. It has been an all together amazing medication for me. Now Effexor, thats a different story!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #13  

Thanks to all for the info. I was on Cymbalta years ago and it seemed to work well with no weight gain, I have always wondered about Wellbutrin. I don't mean to sound vain worrying about my weight when my mental status is not so well but the bigger I get the more depressed I am :S
Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #14  
One day at a time..

S/C/G: 264/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Oh yes.. it can definitely cause weight gain. I had lost 90lbs 3 yrs ago. I was on only Cymbalta at the time. Due to some family stress, he added Prozac [which is actually dangerous I later found out]. I gained 40lbs in 6 months. I was then put on Pristiq in January and gained more than 50lbs!

I have a new pdoc that has explained to me that ADs can not only make you eat everything in and including the fridge hungry, but they chemically put weight on you too. This, by no means, happens to everyone.. And there are ADs that are notorious for doing it, but everyone is different. I've read a lot of people who gained weight on Cymbalta, which I didn't. However, my father has been on Prozac for over 10 yrs and actually lost weight on it. As for the Pristiq.. I haven't heard a good thing about it.

Good luck to you!
MizCandula is offline   Reply With Quote