Old 07-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/sig/125

Height: 5'1

Smile A Little Advice?

Hello! I am going to try and lose weight by watching my calories and exercising. I need some advice from you guys since I know many of you are much more knowledgeable then me at this.

I am 5'1 and 190 pounds! It's disgusting.. I want to get down to what is considered healthy for my frame, about 120. How many calories should I take in a day to lose 3 pounds a week? If 3 pounds is too much, how much should I eat to lose 2 pounds per week? Also, what kinds of exercise should I do if I have all of my weight in my mid-section and arms and face? I have a weird body type for a girl. I gain weight like a man. I look like an Easter egg!
Rikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Well, a pound is 3500 calories, so you have to have a deficit of 7000 calories a week to lose 2 pounds.

Just eat less, count calories, figure out how many work for you, and exercise.

If you want to lose weight, the only exercising you really need to do is cardio. If you want to do crunches, great, and strength training too. But there really isn't one specific exercise.

There's also your BMR:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

But there really isn't a formula for losing weight, it's just eating less and healthy, and exercising.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

There are several good calculators out there to help you determine how many calories you should eat. They are just a guideline. Each of us is different and our experiences are different. A lot depends upon your activity level during the day, and other lifestyle and health factors.

At your weight, starting at 1800 a day and adjusting from there would be reasonable.

As far as exercise goes, I believe a well-rounded approach is best. Exercise not only helps with weight loss, but it helps tone and shape your body as you are losing. I alternated among cardio (dance, boxing, and walking), strength (weights and stretchy bands), core (stability ball and mat), and flexibility (yoga, and pilates). I used DVDs and my Wii (Wii Fit, My Fitness Coach, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout) along with walking. It has worked very well for me

Last edited by CountingDown; 07-12-2009 at 05:55 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote