Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 12:58 PM   #1  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Default Lapband--An alternative to bypass

Hi everyone :-)

I used to post here occasionally but my posts were usually met with suspicion LOL. I'm so glad to see an actual WLS forum now.

I too was afraid of the RNY gastric-bypass but discovered that the US has an FDA Trial going on for a new surgery called the Lapband (this was in 2000). I participated and have lost 120 lbs. I have 20 pounds to go to get to goal.

My weight loss has been slow and steady and I currently eat around 1800 calories a day. The band restricts portion sizes and is adjustable. If you can eat to much you get fluid injected into the band it is tightens it. If you need to eat more (pregnancy, illness) the can just remove the fluid from the band and you can eat fairly normally.

This invention has completely changed my life. The physical aspect is obviously nice but more importantly I've stopped obsessing about food. I feel "normal" for the first time I can remember. I don't diet, I don't count calories, I eat until I'm full and it takes very little to leave me full. I've had to relearn to eat (chewing everything to death) but it's been so worth it.

My story is here:
http://www.geocities.com/robinh26/lapband.html

I'm happy to answer any questions as well.

I was in the hospital for 2 days. The recovery time is minimal because it's done laparascopically. There is no rearranging of anything and it is completely reversible. It's very popular in other countries and is just now gaining acceptance in the US (it was approved by the FDA finally last summer). My insurance paid for 100% (I had Cigna).

Robin
310/191/172
Old 06-23-2002, 01:42 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

you've done fabulously well, robin.. there are a few lap banders in my [non]support group, and i know so little about it.

except that the docs said i wasn't a candidate for it because of my weight and health.

so, what's your life like? what was early post op like for you? what has worked best for you?

anything you have to be careful of? are you keeping it permanently or planning to have it removed? so many questions!!

Old 06-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #3  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Hi Jiffy!

Early postop was difficult. Not physically--the healing was fast--it was just hard to be patient. With a band a lot of times once you heal you can pretty much eat like you could preop. Which is the design of the band obviously, but not very comforting for someone who wants to lose weight now! LOL Once I got my 2nd saline injection it really became easy and the weight started falling off. That's the trick with the band--aftercare is crucial to success.

I can really eat anything I was but I follow certain "rules". I don't drink with meals--this flushes the food through and isn't really that comfortable. I eat my protien first. Then vege, then carbs. I don't really snack (I never was much of a snacker anyhow so this wasn't hard). I don't drink high calorie liquids as they go right through the band obviously. But other than that I feel extremely "normal". Somedays I eat more calories than others. I don't sweat it. If I want dessert I have it. Usually I'm too full. Breads and pastas tend to fill me up too fast so I eat limited amounts.

Part of the reason my doc thought I was a good candidate for the band was my eating style. I just ate HUGE portions, but it's not like I was eating round the clock. I ate three times a day but it took great amounts of food to leave me satisifed. My entire mentality towards portions has completely changed. I'm shocked by portion sizes now. Even things like birthday cake, the old me would have wanted the biggest corner piece I could get my hands on. Now I take 2 bites of frosting and I feel just "ugh" and can't eat anymore. It feels so rich and just too much. My body has really evolved to require less and to reject overindulgence. It's been quite a journey!

The band is designed to be permanent. I love my band. I can't imagine ever having it removed! I'd want another one!

Robin

Last edited by CoffeeWench; 06-23-2002 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:18 PM   #4  

Talking Hi Robin & all

Hiya Robin,

I'm another pal from Spotlight and have seen tons of posts from you. You have probably seen mine, as well....you've even replied to some (i.e....calling all Robin's by Pooky2).

I have great respect for your progress and story. I'm still waiting for a confirmed surgery date. My hubby is in the Air force and we're stationed here in England. The main surgeon who does WLS on the base just deployed for 3 months. I'm probably looking at having surgery sometime this fall (I pray!!) at the earliest.

Like you, I hope people from this site, who have reservations about WLS will be open minded enough to do some thorough research before they come to a definite conclusion. Granted, it is not for everyone, but for so many, it is a life saver. Like we've said so many times at Spotlight, there are definite risks involved with this or any surgery....but, what is the alternative....dying?? This surgery, (for the 1st time in my life), will allow me to be healthy, and hopefully, a more normal size. I have lived a lifetime of being overweight (I'm now 40), and have developed Type 2 diabetes from my weight. Is this to be my destiny?? No way!! I'm soooooo looking forward to using this tool which will enable me to finally have some control over my eating.

For anyone who says "I'd never have that surgery and mutilate my body," think twice and do some homework. You'll always find horror stories about WLS, but I know for every bad report, you'll find 20 good reports.....the percentage for death is very low.....1-3%. If you remain MO, you'll have a greater chance of dying faster. Just a thought.

Anyway, congratulations Robin, Jiffy and all you other success stories. I can't wait to be able to join you in the near future!! God Bless....

Just me...Robin
Pre-285
Desired-150/160
Old 06-23-2002, 09:00 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

yyesssss.. that's where i've seen both of you!!! spotlight!!!!

well, welcome to this more peaceful corner of the world!!! 3fc is better organized and has better tools than spotlight. this wls forum is only about a week or two old, so i'm real glad to see more people coming over. [the original, biggest wls thread was under the FITNESS SCAMS thread, and some of us protested, and now we have our own!!!]

check out the other boards as well... there's lots of info that we can use as we fight our good fights.

i hesitated about posting a general 'come on over' thread on spotlight because it's gotten so junky lately, and i don't want that to happen here. the personal message system [pm]works great for all those 'hey, i'm looking for....' messages.

we're still finding our way here, and will probably start a members profile page as we get more organized.

so glad to see you. and pooky2, good luck with your surgery. which way are you going?
Old 06-23-2002, 10:40 PM   #6  
Hang In There

Pooky2: I hear you about the horror stories!!! My dh Alvin has RNY on April 19 and has already lost about 85 pounds. He is doing super and feels better than he has felt in years. It was about two years from the time his PCP told him he had almost no choice but to have the surgery and the actual date of the surgery. At first I was terrified even to think about him having the surgery because as you say all I had read about it was the horror stories.

I am so thankful for Suzanne, Jennifer and Amy for this forum. I have been an active poster for over 2 years. I felt very strongly that those of us who were affected by the issue of WLS needed a place where we could talk about our fears, questions and accomplishemnts. I feel that this is the place. Those of you who have actually had the procedures can be a great source of encouragement to the many people who are thinking about it.

I heard today of another poster on another thread whose husband had been advised to have the surgery, but he wouldn't even consider it. Yesterday he had a heart attact and is needing to have heart surgery, but the doctors are very concerned about operating on him becuase of his weight. Please keep him in your prayers. Pray that his heart surgery is sucessful, and that he will reconsider the benefits of WLS.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:09 AM   #7  

Default chit chat

Hi there....

Yes, Jiffy, I recall seeing posts from you, as well. Funny, I used to come to this site quite a bit....in the Low Carb forum, but stopped once I began pursuing WLS. It seemed like this surgery sort of got bashed by lots of people, and I didn't feel like there were many people here who supported it, so I needed to find a place where I could find more information and learn as much as possible about the surgery. BUT.....when I used to participate in the Low Carb.....there was a gal (can't recall her username) that frequently posted about her sister? Jiff who was in the hospital waiting for WLS. Are you the Jiff???????

I remember lots of people trying to keep Jiff encouraged while she waited for her surgery.....I thought it was great that people rallied and cheered her/you on. I'm so glad you're on your way to a new life!!! It is such a miserable way to live, and I pray with all my heart that I will do whatever is needed to lose my weight AND, keep it off. I want to shed this old body and live whatever years I have left as a healthy person. People like you inspire me. Oh, I plan to have open RNY whenever I can get a surgery date!!

BARB......How exciting for your husband. I bet he feels like a new man! As I said above.....this surgery should not be entered into lightly and people should feel 100% confident they're willing to take the risks and they're doing the right thing. But, people should not dismiss this surgery either and view it as the easy way out.....as it's far from it. Some of us just simply need help to do something we cannot do ourselves.....control what/how much we eat, and we'll never achieve a healthy body until we can. That's what I know this surgery will do for me....help me have control.

I hope more people come here to learn about WLS and utilize other sites such as Spotlight and Obesityhelp.....I have found them both to be invaluable. WLS, along with the other means of dieting are ALL viable means to lose weight. Positive support only makes the road an easier one to travel. God Bless....

Just me...Robin
Pre-285
Desired-150/160
Old 06-24-2002, 09:04 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

Default yes yes yes!!!!

yes, pooky, i am that formerly near-dead jiff. peach pit, my sister, was wonderful through the whole ordeal, as were the rest of the low-carb chicks. a couple even came to visit me at the hospital!! and they sent cards and everything. so loving and supportive.

the whole thing really sucked. and when i was finally released from my unfortunate incarceration [5 weeks in the hospital and 3 weeks in a nursing home], the surgeon didn't want to consider me a candidate!!! after all that!!! so, i got through all the testing and approvals as quickly as a could. and the whole thing was made worse by the fact that my company folded, so there went my health insurance!!!

oh. and i have posted quite a bit about my experience on the low carb thread as well. in case you're interested in reading my ramblings. i've even posted a couple of menus in the menu threads because i thought they were so funny compared with what everyone else was eating!!!

but i lost 97 pounds preop because they corrected my sleep apnea, and 113 since the surgery ,as of 2 weeks ago. and i have a great job with a 40% salary increase!!! so all those prayers and warm thoughts and support really and truly helped.

so, what's the scoop with you and the docs in england? would it be easier if you came to the states and hung out with family to do the surgery? not an easy choice.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:06 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

and barb... glad to hear old alvin is doing so absolutely fabulous!! such a relief for both of you!!

as for the other lady, the one whose husband had the heart attack, maybe you could get word to her to post here? and maybe he'd come and hang out too?

we've all been there..
Old 06-25-2002, 05:59 PM   #10  

Default how neat

Hiya Jiff,

I guess I sort of feel like I know you a tad, since your sis used to post so much about you in the Low Carb forum. She must be a wonderful sister, because I always noticed how she shared information about you, but was so protective of your privacy!!

Anyway, it is fantastic to hear how your life is turning around and so many positive things are happening for you. Things can only get better, especially your health. I look forward to being on your side of the fence one of these days.

As for the docs here....I did inquire about coming stateside for possible surgery, but was told that our military insurance will only cover me overseas at the moment. Obviously this would be different if we were in America. I am looking into maybe getting the surgery done at a British hospital, since it will be such a long wait for the base surgeon. I will meet my primary care doctor on Friday to see if this will be a possibility....to go off base. I'm hopeful it will not be a problem and that I could maybe get the surgery done before Oct/Nov.....or even later-ugg!!

Anyhoo....that's where things stand for me at the moment...limbo!!! But, I know I will have surgery at some point and I'm just trying to be patient....but it's tough sometimes. Take care....good hearing from you! God Bless....

Just me...Robin
Pre-285
Desired-150/160
Old 06-25-2002, 08:11 PM   #11  
she who must be obeyed

Just read through a few of the posts, and Pooky2 I remember you posting on low-carb.

Yes, Jiff and peachie are lucky to have each other, they are both wonderful women in their own right.

Barb keep us informed about the man that had the heart attack.

Pooky, I had the surgery in January, but I did have some pretty severe complications, but I survived and I'm glad I had the surgery. My weight loss is not fast, but I am very happy with the way I feel now. I hope you can get your surgery scheduled soon.

Debbie

Oh yea, I post on Spotlight as DebbieK. But, I must tell you I get really tired of the bickering, I stay far, far away from the flame posts. Life is too short to argue with someone on a message board.
Closed Thread