Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Losing steam

Hi everyone! So I've really been enjoying exercise for the past 2 months and have been very diligent about my daily workouts. In the past week or so, I've been having trouble motivating myself to go and even took 2 days off instead of the usual 1 or none. Also, once I do get to the gym, I just don't have the same physical energy as I used to. I was running on the treadmill for 35 min (3.5mi) and was hoping to keep improving on that but during my last 2 runs, I could barely, barely make it past 30 min. It was like wringing a towel for the last few drops. What's going on? Whatever it is, do you have any strategies to deal with this and move on? I miss my old excited about exercise self, and I know it hasn't been that long, but I don't want this to become a habit! Thanks!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

Are you getting enough calories in? Getting enough sleep? I have days where I just feel like I'm dragging and when I go to exercise, I have to drag myself along my walking route. Other days, it's fine. Usually I can trace those bad days to lack of calories or sleep.

Another thought--do you *like* to run? Maybe it's time to shake things up with a different type of exercising?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Overtraining can be mental, not just physical. Try some new things, register for a race that will provide motivation, mix it up.

I also think it is normal to go thru periods of less enthusiasm, I know I do. Don't let it freak you out, but DO follow thru on your good exercise habits.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #4  

Thanks for the responses! I actually love to run, which is mainly why I was so confused and frustrated with my attitude. I've been planning to register for a 5K but I've done all of my runs on a treadmill and the couple of times I've tried running outside, I felt like I was dying after 15 min! I know I need to start training outside, so should I just sign up and hope I'm ready to run outside by race time?

It's good to know that others have these kinds of days. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Maybe running outside if that's an option, but I see that you're from LA, so maybe it's too hot... I know, for me, I'd rather gouge my eyes out than run on the treadmill, I only do it as a very last resort, ie: too cold, very rainy, or too hot outside...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #6  

Quote:
hope I'm ready to run outside by race time?
Hope is great, but it doesn't replace putting in the miles outside.

(It does sound to me that you're burnt out.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

sounds to me like 2 classic problems....overtraining and BORDOM!!! i know I get REALLY bored running on a treadmill, nad i tend to talk myslef out of doing a full workout (telling myslef im unusually tired, drained, not running well, etc) i think if you start running outside, you will adapt and get used to it VERY quickly (give it a few days, week at the most)....Try and start out running somewhere that you know is flat and fast, to get used to having "road resistance". Overtraining can also be a killer...we assumme if we just run MORE and run AHRDER we will get better, and faster... but its not true.....when runners are overtrainined, they experience a decrease in their performance, and energy, and overall capabilities
if you are trying to imporve speed, i suggest dooing interval runs, (which ARE great on a treadmill). For you, id start with about a half mile or so warm up (5-10 minutes) then run 4x 400 intervals (400 is about 1/4 mile). so, you run .25 miles at a pcae slightly faster than what you might run a 5 k at, not ALL out, but towards the end, you should be starting to struggle a little..if you run comfortably at 6 mph then i would start doing your intervals at maybe 6.5 ( or higher, depending on how you feel) approximately 30 seconds to a minute per mile FASTER tan your base pace). So, run the quarter mile faster, than lightly jog for quarter mile...repeat 4 times, with a cool down..as you get fast ( and you WILL) start either adding more repeats (do it 5 or 6 times, working your way up to 8 at most), or make your intervals FASTER, OR start doing 4X 800s (which are a half mile intervals).. only do speed work once a week, or you will overtrain..i promise within a few weeks, you will notice your base pace (comfortable pace) will start getting faster...good luck!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #8  
It's a Climb-Miley Cyrus

S/C/G: 0/-1/-11

Height: 5'1"

Great ideas, everyone. Another thought is, what are you eating before you go to the gym? If you are eating high protein foods an hour or two before you go, that won't provide enough energy to get you through a workout because it takes too long to digest and get absorbed into your bloodstream. If you take in carbs before your workout, that should boost your energy for the workout, then right after your WO, have some protein. They say there's a 15-20 minute window of opportunity after the workout where if you take protein during that time (I don't know know why, but I've been told chocolate milk is the best), it'll go right to building the muscle that you've just worked.

Keep us posted on what works for you and what doesn't!

Last edited by GLChick; 06-18-2009 at 02:15 PM.
GLChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #9  
It's a Climb-Miley Cyrus

S/C/G: 0/-1/-11

Height: 5'1"

Sorry, just had another thought. Do you listen to music when you run? That should help you keep pace with the beat, and help distract so time goes by quicker. If you already listen to music, then try different playlist different genres, or mixing it up completely.
GLChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #10  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I'm so there right now!! 10 weeks going strong and this week just blah. Around 8 weeks I changed it up a bit and still blah.

I am really hoping I just needed a rest. So I'm going to give myself one and recommit next week. I wouldn't normally believe myself (how many times have many of us said they'll start tomorrow?), but this long with success and consistency makes me think I can get back on track next week.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #11  

Wow! Thank you SO much for all of your advice!! I've been feeling a lot better yesterday and today and had pretty good workouts both days. I have been trying to drop my calories a bit to the high 1200's, which I think may be too low for days when I have tough workouts, so I think I'll bring it back up a bit.

I think you guys are right about running outside. It's just the challenge I need to keep me going and push myself. I'll definitely download some pump up music to get me through those rough patches.

mkroyer - I love love love your idea! Thank you for the detailed info! I actually read a lot about interval training and tried it yesterday, with just a few intervals of sprints, and it felt awesome. I'm gonna try out your routine tomorrow!

GLChick - I usually have a handful of almonds or a babybel light cheese about an hour before I work out, so maybe I need something a little more carby to really get me going. A banana or something would probably be good.

chickiegirl - You'll definitely get back on track next week! Good for you for listening to your body and taking a break. But the awesome chicks here at 3FC won't let you slack off, so make sure to keep coming here and you'll be back on track in no time!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/205/165

Height: 6'

I've been backreading the forum in the hope of finding something exactlylike this.

It is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one experiencing exercising fatigue, and see suggestions on how to change my workout around to keep it interesting and challenging.
each2each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 AM   #13  
this one's for life

S/C/G: 141/139/120

Height: 5'4"

I've been experiencing fatigue from daily workouts as well. I do outside long runs, HIIT running, weight lifting and occasionally elliptical (when I'm sick of running). All on separate days.

But recently my body is tired... and I've been going on long dog walks instead.

I know I'll be able to pick up again soon, in the meantime I'm going to focus on eating well.

Last edited by chickennugget126; 10-26-2009 at 02:22 AM.
chickennugget126 is offline   Reply With Quote