Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/213/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Constipation

UGH sorry for the TMI post but I am having a huge problem with constipation since starting this diet. I never had problems like this before and I am so confused. Before I didn't get even 1/4 of the fiber I get now. I didn't drink even 1oz of water a day, and now I drink 100oz a day. I didn't eat ANY fruits or veggies and am now eating at least 4 servings a day. So I don't understand at all why I am NOW having problems like this when I am doing everything right as far as that is concerned. It is really bad.

Anyone else dealing with this? Is it just from the drastic diet change? It has been 3 weeks now you would think my body would be used to it by now right? I really am not a person that likes to take any medication, but if this keeps up I guess I will have to take a med for it. Any other ideas?
SarahMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Do you have problems with dairy? i subconsciously increased my dairy when i started dieting, now I have always had problems with certain dairy, and the increase made it worse
Are you eating a lot of bananas?, those always do me in

Thats what i can think of off the bat
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have struggled with this too. I have found that there are three things that cause this for me, not enough:
fiber,
healthy fat, or
exercise.

I am willing to bet that you need to add some healthy fat. I have found that a little olive oil on salad really helps this problem.

Last edited by time2lose; 06-08-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added a little more
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

I can totally relate. I was on a regular cycle and when I started dieting it was only a couple of times a week (sorry - TMI). Even with increasing my fiber, still - nothing. I am the same as you, I rather avoid anything that is not natural so I try to incorporate a glass of apple juice (high in sugar but it works) mid-week. I also will have 1 cup of coffee on Sunday's. If your not a regular coffee drinker, this makes a difference. I dont care for the taste but it is more natural than say pills.
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/213/130

I don't get much dairy, maybe a slice of cheese a day, and 1/2 cup skim milk once a week or so, I just don't like it.

I am allergic to bananas so I haven't had any. I hate most fruits/veggies so the only ones I have been eating are grapes, grapefruit, carrots, and cauliflower.
SarahMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I've had this issue sometimes too. In fact, I've had it so bad that I've had to take meds for it. BUT, the last time I took something, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like little gremlins were picking away at the lining of my stomach at about 2am. I went to the bathroom, and when I was done I stood up and had one of the worst dizzy spells I can remember. I know I knocked my huge clothes hamper over trying to catch my balance, and I don't remember a lot of what happened after that, only that I did wind up on the floor ( I think I thought I could crawl back to my room ) and I remember sweating, even tho I was not hot or cold. It was scary. Now, I still don't go every day ( which kinda stinks and is uncomfortable ) but not nearly as scary as what I went through last time I took a pill that is sopose to "help" I will put a spoonful of benifiber in my coffee in the am tho sometimes.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

are you exercising? that always helps things along for me. a couple of walks a day and some yoga (look up 'yoga for digestion') should help.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #8  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I have always had problems with this, but it's just getting worse. I don't have dairy issues at all, I workout regularly, I have been eating lots of fibre, drinking plenty of water and I stopped eating bananas much. I just don't go unless I take a stimulant laxative some weeks, which I only do out of desperation. :-(
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

In my case it only gets bad if I seriously cut out fats. As long as I'm having some lean meat and not 100% fat free dairy I'm pretty decent but I need a little bit of oil to lubricate the system as it were...
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I added a serving of Fiber One original cereal to my day (I weigh it and it's only a few tablespoons of cereal) and 2 Citrucel fiber tablets that are supposed to be easy on your system. It makes all the difference! And I get a lot of fruit and vegetable fiber, but I think it's the lower fat that made it "difficult" after I changed my eating patterns.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misora View Post
In my case it only gets bad if I seriously cut out fats. As long as I'm having some lean meat and not 100% fat free dairy I'm pretty decent but I need a little bit of oil to lubricate the system as it were...
My thoughts exactly. I need some fat in my diet or I get bunged up. Having low fat dairy not FF helps me.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

This seems to be a common problem. I have been taking Probiotics daily, and it seems to be helping somewhat.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I am another vote for healthy fats. Going low-fat, no matter the fiber, water, or exercise, always results in constipation for me. Try working in half an avocado every day - so yummy!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
I am another vote for healthy fats. Going low-fat, no matter the fiber, water, or exercise, always results in constipation for me. Try working in half an avocado every day - so yummy!
I have to agree with the avocado. A whole one daily does the trick for me.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote