Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default exercise on low carb diets.

for those who have questions on low carb and exercise i recently finished my undergrad dissertation on the following topic

The actual and percieved affects of a low carbohydrate on lactate threshold and vo2 max.

although a small study. due to unforseen circumstances.

i found that after a low carb diet >30g a day net. for 7 days. all subjects ran further, they reached a faster/higher stage on Vo2 testing and the gas analysis per stage was around 8% higher.

the most interesting fact was that for each stage using a borg RPE scale the post diet subjects reported at lower RPE. essentially believing that the workload was less than previously.

so anyone who has worries about doing exercise with low carbs remember it will seem easier and you may push yourself to hard so watch injuries. you will be able to maintain your exercise durations and possibly expand it.

but don't forget to keep topping up the hydration.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Slimmings! I am a low-carber and find that I have to eat a salad or some other carbs a few hours before my weight training. The one time I did not my muscles were extremely weak and I felt really bad during the session.

Also - I was hoping you could give us a synopsis of your study in plain English. Thanks!
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

weight training wasn't in the study lol. it was cardio only. so i can't comment on you needing to carb up before a session
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #4  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

Cool. I know I've always felt better when exercising on low carb than high carb. If I have a slip up day and eat too many carbs I feel pretty lousy, it's hard to find the energy to get up and do anything.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote