Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Treadmill VS Recumbent Bike

I have a treadmill in my home gym. I like to watch DVDs when I'm milling, it helps keep the boredom away.

However, I've had bad knee problems for a while now, & have decided to trade in my treadmill for a recumbent bike.

Can you get as good of a workout on a bike as a mill? The one I'm considering is a Horizon RC-30. Pretty cool bike.

Suggestions? Comments? Etc? - thanks!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I would say that yes, you can. I run and I cycle (outside) and I also ride an Exercycle occasionally. If I want to I can make that Exercycle workout hard, hard, hard -- definitely as hard as running and regular biking. You just have to challenge yourself.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

With the recumbent bike, I think as long as you are willing to push yourself you can get as good a workout. Unlike a treadmill where once you set the speed, it will force you to stay on a certain pace, I think it's too easy on a recumbent bike to go easy since you are the one controlling the pace. The other thing you may want to consider if you have knee problems is an eliptical. It is also very low impact and personally I seem to get a better workout on it than I do on a recumbent bike.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote