Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/ticker/160

Height: 5' 9.5"

Default ketones

My oldest son is a Type I diabetic so I have a mental problem with the ketostix turning purple. Mine were moderate ketones last time at my WI. I lost 2 more pounds at the last WI so I was happy, but having a hard time wrapping my brain about the ketones. I asked the counselor about it at the center and she said it was fine and if it kept up I should add more HNS....I already do four to five a day depending on how hungry I am. I'm not sure how HNS would help that since my protein intake is so much as it is. Does anyone have any insight on this? Am I losing weight safely with the ketones?
PoNdHopPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/174

Height: 5'9

Hello PondHopper...
I was told that being in ketosis is fine on this diet. It is a fairly low carb diet and it is typical to produce ketones. My rep told me to drink drink drink water and it is normal and safe.

Good luck!
DietingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188.5/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm a science major and being in slight ketosis is fine for your body as long as you drink enough water. If you don't you run the risk of kidney stones. You never want to be in full full ketosis which is what Atkins promoted - that's what is really bad for your body. You're taking in enough carbs that you should be fine - they're for your brain and then the rest of your body has to work to get the glucose out of protein which is what burns the fat and puts you into slight ketosis.
fireice13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/ticker/160

Height: 5' 9.5"

Thank you very much....I'm stepping up the H2O intake...although I feel like I'm drowning and can't stay out of the loo! My center told me that will slow down when my body gets used to the water. I'm drinking 11 8oz glasses a day now. whew!
PoNdHopPer is offline   Reply With Quote