Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default How long to build muscle?

I have a question. How long does it take to build muscle? What is a good rate? I started a new weight management program last month. I went for my one month check up yesterday. I have lost 7 lbs since I started and have gained a 1/2 lb of muscle. They have the tanita scale that tells how much water, muslce, bone, fat, etc you have in your body. Just wondering if 1/2 lb muscle is one month is good for someone who hasn't done much strength training. If I start seriously strength training how much muscle should I gain in a month?
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There is no way to predict how much muscle you can gain. Although beginners tend to gain more muscle quicker than seasoned vets.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
I found this article to be interesting, and is geared towards guys. I think the bottom line is that it takes a LONG time for a person to increase their muscle mass. The guy in the article says that a man with perfect training, eating, and supplementation can gain 0.25-0.5 lbs of dry muscle weight a week, or 1-2 lbs per month. BUT you also add glycogen and fat to that (if your purpose if muscle building, as a result of increased caloric intake).
http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-3995.html

So assuming that you are a woman, 1/2 lb in one month is pretty much bang on, because women don't gain muscle as quickly.

But, like Nelie says, there are SO many factors (body composition, body type, hormonal makeup, diet, supplementation, workout schedule, workout routine, intensity, and so on) that this answer is not definitive...

Congrats, though, on the 7 lbs loss and the 1/2 lb muscle gain!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote