Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #1  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

Default adverse effects of doing yoga pose wrongly?

Hi guys,

I've just suddenly heard some people saying that if you do yoga pose wrongly, it could damage your mental healthy as well??? (like you could have gone crazy...)
Although it sounds ridiculous to me, I just want to make sure. So any of you know if it's true or not?

I think if you do yoga pose wrongly then you'll damage your ligaments, etc... (something like that) - physically. But mentally O_O

I would really appreciate if you help me, I know there're alot of wise people here ^^ thanks for reading.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I think the worst thing that could happen is that you pull a muscle or something. But affect your mental health? Sounds like mystical nonsense to me.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hilarious!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hilarious, but not surprising given the amount of -ahem- bizarre medical claims that often go hand in hand with yoga. During my practice, I've heard that putting your forehead on your knee will balance out your pituitary gland (as IF), that you feel dizzy because you are emotionally overwhelmed (how about low blood sugar), that if you breathe through a "choked throat" you will lose weight, that if you balance on one leg you will cure depression...
I just plug along and do the best that I can and filter out the rest.
I wouldn't worry about it...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #5  
Workin' It

If doing to poses a little wrong makes people crazy then I'm certifiable by now!

Seriously though, I've known people to get really hurt doing some of the poses involving the head and neck wrong and once watched a woman separate her wrist on a badly balanced downward dog.So, be careful for those reasons, but I wouldn't worry about going around the bend from a poorly done pose if it were me.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I really don't think so. I'm sure the ones saying that are also the ones saying yoga can cure every disease. Although, I'm sure with experience you can find that some poses or sequences or styles of practice can indeed affect your mood, just as food and other forms of exercise can.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
If doing to poses a little wrong makes people crazy then I'm certifiable by now!

Seriously though, I've known people to get really hurt doing some of the poses involving the head and neck wrong and once watched a woman separate her wrist on a badly balanced downward dog.So, be careful for those reasons, but I wouldn't worry about going around the bend from a poorly done pose if it were me.
Yup - I'm on my 4th chiro visit since last Friday because I did an advanced pose wrong and. I've not been in so much pain in my life! Completely stinks .
firefliesandpixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I highlighted what I was going to say... that statement IS very true, careful of your neck, the head stand, shoulder stand can do a lot of damage if not done properly...

Maybe when that person said «mental health» she meant hurting her head?? or neck?? just some thoughts....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote