Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/237/170

Height: 5'11

Default Another Newbie

Hello Everyone. I am new. I have a RL friend who frequents this site....and she speaks very highly of you all.

I started my latest weight loss journey on 3/17. So far, 14 pounds are gone. I have not broken 200 since before 2000. It is time!!! I just have not been able to pull it together enough to diet and exercise simultaneously..until now. (cautiously optimistic!)

I am a Mom of 4 growing boys...so, food is always around. I cannot really remove all temptation from the house. So...determination and willpower are key. I guess it is sort of like an alcoholic living in a bar. LOL But, so far, so good. In February I took my kids to an indoor water park.....and had to haul my hefty bathing-suit clad self up hundreds of stairs (and down endless slides).....I felt so flabby and unfit and horrified. I need to get fit to better keep up with my kids...and to set a better example for them. (they are all fit and athletic....so I guess THEY are the ones setting a good example for ME!)

I have been following the Fat Flush protocol...but have started tweaking it a bit lately and have sort of come up with my own simplified plan. I have basically ditched ALL grains for now, and focus on lean protein, veggies, and fruit. I also am eating plain yogurt (this goes against the Fat Flush plan...but I think I need the calcium and probiotics) with a bit of liquid vanilla stevia (it is good!). I also eat 2 eggs most days.....usually with loads of fresh veggies. My calorie intake is likely somewhere between 1100 and 1300 each day.

I have used fitday on and off over the years and just started entering my food and exercise there again...I will not do it every day...maybe every few days...just to get a better idea of what I am doing. I am trying to make this all simple....and not too time-intensive...so I can keep it up for the long haul.

For the first month of my journey I did not exercise much (bad..I know)....but for this past week I have exercised 4 times and I plan to keep it up. I am doing cardio and light weights..and hope to increase both as time goes on. I am just walking on a treadmill for my cardio so far, and mixing in a (tiny) bit of jogging....I need to seriously improve my endurance. I'd LOVE to be able to jog 2+ miles straight by summer time. It seems like an impossibility to me right now...but I am going to work toward it one day at a time!

I look forward to hanging out with you guys and learning from you. Thanks for reading.

And, yes...."bb" at the end of my name does indeed stand for "big butt". LOL

Last edited by gretavanbb; 04-21-2009 at 11:02 AM.
gretavanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Greta! Sounds like a good plan, sounds like your mind is in the right place, and here you are! Welcome!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Greta - congrats on your 14 lbs lost!! Sounds like you are off to a great start... welcome!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #4  

Default Hi Greta,

Congratulations on your weight loss! :-)
I tried the fat smash diet as well as many others, I was impressed with Dr. Smith's approach to weight loss, he seems to realize that most people that are dieting want to see some fairly quick results, which of course keeps you motivated.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome yesterday.
ceal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #5  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

hi and welcome, 14 lbs is great... that's a lot to be proud of, glad you decided to join in...
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #6  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Welcome Greta

Sounds like you are off to a great start. i found the weight came off quick and then slowed down so don't get discouraged and if you do, that is what we are here for. From my experience for it to work you need to exercise(even if it is just walking) along with eating right, to get the best results.

What is this Fat flush...is there a place online to find out about it or is it a book? Inquiry minds want to know

You should join the 40 somethings chat...there are a great bunch of gals on there including me.

Hope to see you around!

Karen
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 253/237/170

Height: 5'11

Hi all...thanks for the nice welcomes!

The Fat Flush plan is based on several books written by Ann Louise Gittleman. She has her PhD in nutrition, and her plan is really logical. She has a MB, if you google it you will find it. There are three phases to her plan. The first one is detox....and also results in weight loss. The second phase is the weight losing phase. Phase 3 is for maintenance and/or if you like to exercise a lot. She incorporates a large amount of the good fats into the plan (flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, CLA, GLA, etc). I am in week 5....and have followed it fairly closely (except adding in some dairy)....and am down 16 pounds as of today. So far so good.

Ok...I will hop over to the 40 chat now!
gretavanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 142/141/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I am a newbie too - congrats on your weight loss so far! Nice to meet you
Celtic mom is offline   Reply With Quote