Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #1  
AKT

S/C/G: 213/207.5/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Ready meals...?

I am trying to eat healthier, but to be honest it's been running me low on funds. I find myself running to things like lower sodium canned soups (which still have almost 500mg) and frozen dinners from lean cuisine and smart ones which tend to be on the cheap side. I tend to stick to the lower calorie ones, but I know all that sodium cant be good for me. Are there any other relatively cheap alternatives?

TIA
AKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Is there a Henry's or other farmers market type store near you? I find that my dollar stretches a long way at these places vs. the larger chain stores. Even Walmart has cheaper food, some sell produce.

I find when I go to Henry's and Trader Joe's I'll FILL up my cart full of fruits and veggies and only end up paying like $20- it's amazing!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #3  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Talking

Is it just a money concern or time? Why don't you make your own soups? Or chili a big pot of chili can be CHEAP and last forever...

Don't buy prepared foods- buy a head of lettuce rather than bagged, etc- It costs for the prep work. Why don't you stick with veggies and lean meats like chicken? You can buy frozen chicken breasts sometimes buy 1 get one free which is a great deal....

Farmer's market's are awesome for produce! We have one in my town that I LOVE!

Check stores like Aldi's or save a lot? They have cheap canned goods like beans for chili, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, I also make use of WW pasta... it costs a bit more that the white stuff but is still cheap and nutrious- loaded with fiber. I make noodle dishes 1/2 times a week. For instance I make spazanaga for dinner on Friday... spaghetti baked like lasanga and it was cheap- we got 6 servings for less than $5. Throw in a side salad or roasted veggies and your set for dinner and lunch, and lunch... he he

You just have to get a bit creative when on a budget. You can do it without frozen meals!
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #4  
I will do this.

When it comes to those frozen meals you are paying for the brand name, packaging, etc

Believe me I have been very poor in the last year and didn't know what to do. You can get the generic brand name whole wheat bread, tuna, veggies that aren't bagged such has broccoli, lettuce, carrots, green peppers.

I agree with aka and buy frozen chicken breast. and bee is right - even some walmarts carry produce.

If I can ask - how much money do you have to buy food weekly? For me I have 100 dollars to feed myself and my boyfriend. 50 dollars is spent at wallmart for canned stuff, bread...etc and the other 50 is spent at whole foods for produce.

I can't wait until Colorado gets a trader joes!!!!

Anyway -- let me know if I can help in any other way. I have been where you are at.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #5  
On a journey

S/C/G: 376/we'll see/180

Height: 5'2"

I've actually found a lot of decent produce at the 99cent store in the last year or so. You have to pick through it sometimes, but when you're on a tight budget, it works great.
NorCal Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #6  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Aldi's ROCKs!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote