Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 03:16 PM   #1  

Question Protien Shakes

Hi all,

I have a question for you. I have been loosing weight with the low carb plan that I'm on. I would, how ever, lower the fat a bit. I am going to try a protein shake, "Juiced Prortein with MyoZap".

I was just wondering what you all thought about using protein shakes and if you think they work? If so what would you recomend?

Thanks,
Bella23
Old 06-07-2002, 08:43 PM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

here is some that i have pulled off another board, they are home made but delicious

Sweetiepie’s shake recipe

1/2 cup frozen without sugar strawberries
1-2 scoops French vanilla protein powder
1 T. cream cheese (or 1/4 cup Ricotta or
cottage cheese)
1/3 cup half-and-half cream
1/3 cup whole milk
3-4 pkg. Splenda or your chosen sweetener
4-5 ice cubes
Whir in blender until all the ice chunks are ground up, but no longer. The blender can't take it!
Make this also with blueberries, peaches, tart cherries (add a drop of almond extract
with the peaches and cherries, and a dash of nutmeg with the peaches), raspberries, or mixed berries. All these fruits can be bought frozen without sugar--check labels to be sure--some are mixed in with sugar added.

Heather’s Blueberry Shake

-1/2 cup frozen blueberries (preferably fresh frozen, not from a grocery store - I always think they taste better. I picked a ton last summer and still have a couple quarts in the freezer.)
-2 scoops vanill protein powder
-3 cubes coconut milk (frozen in ice cream tray)
-half and half or heavy cream to taste
-2-3 Tbl. cream cheese
4 oz. water
3 ice cubes
1/2 tsp. splenda (I am going to go looking for blueberry syrup at Nature's flavors today)
1/2 tsp. maple extract
Whirl in blender. I find that if I leave my blender on for a few minutes, whirling away, the shakes get creamier and creamier. Whips the cream I guess.
Enjoy - I figure it is a bit higher in the carbs, around 10, but you could probably cut the berries down. And half the protein powder if you want, but it really helped make it taste like cheesecake.

Sweetiepie’s Pumpkin Shake

Take a can of regular pumpkin and divide it into the sections of an ice-cube tray, about 1/4 cup in each section. Freeze; remove the little bricks from the tray and place them in a plastic bag or dish and store in the refrigerator. Freezing the pumpkin helps make the shake thicker!
Use about 2 bricks (sometimes I use 3) per shake. Put the pumpkin bricks in the blender, and add 1-2 scoops vanilla (or French vanilla) protein whey powder. On top of this, put 3-4 pkts. Splenda (also can add a little Stevia as it can't be tasted in an item this strongly flavored). I then use 1/3 cup half-and-half and 1/3 cup milk, but if short on cream, I have been known to use evaporated milk in place of both (more carbs, however!). Add 1 Tblsp. cream cheese, OR 1/4 cup ricotta or cottage cheese. Sprinkle in some nutmeg and cinnamon to taste. I was using pumpkin pie spice, but it is not as good as the separate spices, for some reason. Add about 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 4-5
ice cubes. Whir in blender till the ice and pumpkin cubes are relatively smooth.
I don't know the carb or protein counts for this, as it has so much room for interpretation and modification! Enjoy making your own additions or subtractions as to taste and for added protein or less carbs. Pumpkin is as low-carb as most veggies, and full of vitamins, especially A, so think this is pretty nutritious.
Angy’s Butterfinger Frostie

Serving size: 1
1/8 cup cream
1/8 cup half and half
1 scoop Chocolate Flavored Whey Protein Powder( I used Designer Protein)
1 package sugar substitute(I used Splenda)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups crushed ice
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
Whirl all together in food processor(I used blender and it was a bit chunky with ice)and you have a butterfinger flavored frosty.

MOUNDS BAR SHAKE
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 to 3 Tbsp. DaVinci chocolate syrup (w/Splenda)
1 scoop Designer Protein powder, choc flavor
1/4 cup cottage cheese
2 frozen coconut milk cubes
1 tsp. coconut extract (or more to taste)
2 ice cubes
Mix well in blender.

Basic Shake:
(patterned after Sweetiepie's shakes - I like to use this one for more dessert-type shakes:chocolate/pumpkin...)
1/3 cup 1/2-N-1/2
2-3 Tb heavy cream + water or Sugar Free syrup of choice to equal 1/3 cup
1 oz. cream cheese
1/2 t. vanilla
1 packet white stevia powder (sometimes I will also add one packet of Splenda)
1 scoop of Protein Powder
4-5 Ice cubes
1/8 t. Xanthan Gum (Add after all ingredients are well mixed)
Ecc: 4.5g / Pro: 24.5g
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Basic Yogurt Shake:
This is particularly good with berries/fruit.
1/2 water
1/4 cup of Whole Milk, plain, yogurt
1 scoop Protein Powder
1 package stevia/splenda or to taste
If the fruit is frozen, no ice cubes are needed
1/8-1/4tsp Xanthan Gum if you like it thick.
Ecc: 2 Pro: 22
Yogurt Note: I use Stonyfield Farm - 1 ecc for 1/4 cup - you can subtract 8carbs from the label's number because the bacteria "eats" the sugar in the yogurt. Label states 12 -8 =4 per cup - cool huh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Variations:
Many of these variations have been found by doing a search of this site. Please forgive me for not remembering who created them and many, many thanks to all who have shared their ideas.
Patterned after Sweetiepie's Pumpkin shake:
Pumpkin: add 3.6 to ecc
2 blocks of frozen pumpkin (ice cube size)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t sugar free maple syrup
pinch of salt.
Pie spice:
I mix a large batch of this so it's always on hand.
2t Cinnamon,
1t ginger,
1/2t cloves.

Butterfinger: add 5 to ecc
1 Tb Penzey's Dutch Cocoa powder
2 TB Peanut butter
York Peppermint Patty: add 1 to ecc
1 Tb Penzey's Dutch Cocoa powder
peppermint extract to taste (usually 1/8-1/4t)
Mounds: add 3 to ecc
1 Tb. Penzey's Dutch Cocoa powder
4 blocks of Coconut Milk(to replace the ice cubes)
coconut extract to taste
Chocolate Banana: add 1 to ecc
1 Tb Penzey's Dutch Cocoa Powder
1/2 t Banana Extract or to taste
Cantaloupe: add 5.7 to ecc
1/2 cup of Cantaloupe
Blueberry: add 5.2 to ecc
1/3 cup blueberries
Lemon extract to taste
Eggnog no additional ecc
1 tsp. Rum extract
pinch of salt
You may want to add additional sweetner
top with nutmeg
This one is particulary refreshing!
Key Lime Shake: no additional ecc
In place of the sugar free syrup/water/cream in the basic shake:
Disolve 1/2tsp sugar free lime jello in 3Tbs warm water. Add cream to equal 1/3 cup.
Any flavor of sugar free jello will work. The possiblities are endless....
Old 06-07-2002, 09:24 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

the protein powder that nasus is talking about runs about 20 grams [plus or minus, depending on the brand] per scoop. the highest i've ever seen in a protein powder [so far, at least] has been 27 grams per scoop. and a scoop is about 3-4 tablespoons [they all come with these cute oversized coffee measuring things that are useful for other things like finger paint].

i'm getting better at the grab and go stuff you get at the store. the myoplex low carb strawberries and cream was a real pleasant surprise, even pre-made!!! much better than the chocolate fudge, which i find drinkable if it's icy cold. some folks thiink it tastes like yoo hoo, which i've never liked anyway.

many people like the zero carb isopure that comes in glass bottles and looks like diluted kool aid. i've tried. believe me, i've tried. and they just feel like they've coated my tongue with jellyfish.. ick!!!!

maybe the powdered isopure is better.

let us know what the juiced protein is like, bella. i'm always looking for something good. and maybe we'll even convince debkay to try some!!! she's right, they're not the best tasting things that ever happened, but she and i really need to push the protein.

as for the other part of the question, some of the ladies are supplementing with extra protein shakes because it helps get rid of the excess water.

it's great that you're losing weight on this new WOE.. you've been sounding so upbeat and in control!!!! it's wonderful to see.

oh yes. i did go on at great length on the jiff! thread, but nasus has much better ideas. you and she have much more flexibility than i do..
Old 06-08-2002, 07:04 AM   #4  

Default Bella:

My vote always goes to any WHEY based powder- they are usually tasty- it's SOY that tastes bad and has to be disguised!

So Designer Protein or other house brand whey or whey blend is always my choice.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:50 AM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I just want to add that when i eat and drink anything with soy i gas really bad and whew i can not even stand my self!!!

so maybe the whey will be better
Old 06-09-2002, 07:20 AM   #6  
Low Carb since 4/28/99

I use the whey too....I can taste the soy in the others no matter what I do to it.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:33 PM   #7  
Hang In There

Hey everyone, I just stumbled on this neat new site (to me anyway, It's obiviously not new because it won a best site award in 1996 ) Anyway it is www.smoothie-central.com It has lots of neat reciepies and ideas. You will have to make sure you add protien powder to almost all of them, but they sound good, and easy.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:15 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Default More smoothies

We have a lot of smoothie recipes on the 3FC site too. Warning, many of them are low fat, NOT low carb! We are in the middle of making many low carb additions to the site. A lot existing recipes can be converted to lc. The nutrition info on the main page is NOT updated yet (takes many many hours, long process etc) but there is complete nutritional count on the individual recipes. Hope to have the main page converted within a week or two!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/food/recipes/smoothies.html
Closed Thread