PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/289/180

Height: 5'8"

Question Vitamins?

I posted yesterday about the Syndrome X book I have been reading. One thing about the book I like and I know some won't is the fact that they take a more natural and homeopathic route to treating it. I have been on metformin for over a year and all it seems to do it make me sick and if you read the insert in the box, it says it is associated with increased cardiovascular mortality, that makes me nervous. I know we are already at a higher risk of heart disease, I don't want to take anything that is going to cause even more heart issues. Anyhow, they recommend taking a daily vitamin called Alpha Betic, it is made for people with diabetes, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it? I am planning on ordering the vitamins as well as some supplements they recommend and getting back to cutting the carbs and sugars from my diet because that is the only thing that seems to work for me. I need to get this started, I am at a point I am feeling more and more helpless by the day and I hate it, I want my life back.
folwthewhtrbt702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

I've been looking into starting a vitamins regimin, what vitamins/supplements do they recommend? I know that it's not medically advised or w/e, but i'm tired of the metformin side effects!!
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/171/141

Height: 5'4

Thumbs up

Hi,
6 years ago both I and my daughter, who was 17 then, were diagnosed with insulin resistance and put on 2000 mg metformin a day. My daughter was told that she'd have to take the met for the rest of her life. As I wasn't ready to accept that, I read whatever I could get my hands on, among other books "Syndrome X". We then followed the recommendations given by Jack Challem to the dot for about a year, and after having lost quite a big amount of weight, stopped taking the met. When we went to the endocrinologist for for a check-up the results were great.
It is extremely difficult to stick to such a regimen in the long run (at least for us), however, and we eventually gained some of the weight back. Bad results at the doc's office (he wanted to put us on the met again) made us aware of the necessity to lose weight. We started ww 5 months ago, this time no low-carb, no supplements. It works!
I don't know if the supplements really helped then. Living low-carb we had low energy, muscle cramps, sleepless nights, and maybe we needed all the vitamins and minerals then just to ward of the side-effects of the low-carb lifestyle. But I do think that it is important not to give up, and to get active. It worked for us. Good luck!

Regards,
Soscha

Last edited by soscha; 10-04-2009 at 10:42 AM.
soscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissclaire View Post
I've been looking into starting a vitamins regimin, what vitamins/supplements do they recommend? I know that it's not medically advised or w/e, but i'm tired of the metformin side effects!!
Blissclaire, I had the symptoms really bad I couldn't move away from the bathroom I had to stop it 2 weeks later! What I am trying now is Actos, I haven't been dieting or exercising until a week ago and so far lost almost 6 lbs in one week! I also think I am ovulating right now so I expect to get my period within 2 weeks. Actos works just like met minus the side effects, I'm loving it so far! You can read more on the web, they have a website and there are ladies who have been on Actos with great success. By the way one of its side effects is that it 'causes ovulation in non-ovulating women' which is probably a desired side effect in our case
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #5  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

I take several supplements to help with my PCOS. First, and most important--Cinnamon. I take one every morning, since I take my Met at night. It helps your body use insulin better (scientifically proven). Second, I take Evening Primrose oil, which helps with fibrocystic breasts, and is an essential fatty acid, which our bodies need anyway--and I just can't bring myself to take fish oil, the aftertaste is too bad. I also take garlic (odorless) to boost my immune system and help my cholesterol (more of a preventative measure). I have not been sick once since I've been taking Garlic, and I am constantly exposed to sickness, as a college student. The next pill I take is Acidophilus. Since I have high blood sugar, I am more prone to yeast infections. I also have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), and it can feed the growth of yeast, so the Acidophilus helps keep it in check and saves me from being miserable with a yeast infection. Lastly, I take a multivitamin, just your basic Centrum. Since starting this regimen 3 months ago, I have so much more energy and I have lost more weight. I hope you find this advice useful!
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote