Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Need help making a new workout plan!

So, I'm doing a sprint triathlon in just under three weeks, and I've spent the past seven months preparing for it. During those seven months, I've gained a lot in terms of being able to run, bike, and swim, but I haven't lost a pound! So now I'm starting to think about what the heck I'm going to do AFTER the triathlon.

I'm trying to put together a new workout plan which will really pack a punch calorie-burning-wise and will rev up my metabolism. I know that in order to do that I need to do more weight training and HIIT. I picked up a copy of NRLW and did it for a while, but had to put it off in favor of more triathlon-specific training these past few weeks.

I'm looking for workouts lasting 30-60 minutes, and 4-6 days per week. I'm thinking I will do NRLW Mondays and Wednesdays. Please help me figure out what to do the other days of the week! Bonus points if it doesn't involve having to go to a gym to do it!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #2  
No description available.

Well, I am planning "Sprint Interval April" where all steady state cardio will be exchanged for sprints, fartleks, and hills. HIIT with just my shoes and myself. I'll let you know if it works! I did it for January and I know I cut some time off my 5K from it.

I'm also looking to eliminate the junk food. That is what is really keeping me from losing a few more.

My sprint runs will look like this: half mile warm up, then sprints for 75-100 yards, recovery jog for a similar length, repeat for about 20 minutes, cool down jog for 1/2 mile.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Do you do workout videos?? I do "slim in 6" it's a very low impact exercise program..It really kicks you butt too!!
Saramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Midwife, I was thinking I'd start doing sprint intervals. I think I need to have some kind of plan for increasing time/distance/speed or something though or I'll settle into the lull of always doing the same thing. Do you try to increase the length of your sprints, or do you always do the same amount?

Saramommy, I have tried workout videos before but my dog doesn't like me to do them! It's hard to do a workout video when your dog thinks you're either trying to play with him or having some kind of attack. I do own one Tae Bo video which is fun though.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #5  
No description available.

I have a few different strategies. One is the 75-100 meter interval repeats. I usually do that at a park. Sometimes I'll go to the track and run 400 meter intervals. Sometimes I throw in "run as fast as I can to the sign (boulder, weed, tree)" and then recover on any route I usually do. Sometimes I go to a hilly place and run up the hills as fast as I can and recover on the way down. So I do mix it up. When I "sprint" a longer distance, I go slower, so I pick a pace that I am pushing myself but I can also make it to my goal.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote