PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/289/180

Height: 5'8"

Question health insurance issues...

I was diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance about 2 years ago. I also was treated for graves disease and have been on thyroid medication for about 8 years now. I have been either without insurance or had insurance that didn't pay anything due to pre-existing clauses since the time of my diagnoses. My doctor started me on BC pills as well as metformin but that was it, I couldn't afford to pay for all the doctor's visits and testing because I lost my job. I have been unemployed ever since and have been trying to figure out the best way to continue my treatment but I am at a loss. I live in CA and don't qualify for government insurance because I am under 65, single, have no kids and am a legal resident of this country. I have looked into paying for my own insurance but they all have pre-existing clauses, huge deductibles, high monthly payments...it just doesn't seem plausible. At this point I don't know what to do. I have been buying my medication online from Mexico for awhile now, and I hate it, who knows what I am actually taking. Everything I get from them comes sealed in the packaging right from the same manufacturer as I would get here but it makes me really nervous. Lately I have been feeling worse and worse and I know I need to see a doctor. Does anyone else here not have insurance? How do you handle it? I have thousands of dollars in medical bills I can't pay already, am already considering filing bankruptcy and don't really want to add more medical bills that I know I can't afford. it feels hopeless. I feel like I am destined to always be fat, not feeling well and unhappy

Last edited by folwthewhtrbt702; 03-24-2009 at 06:59 PM.
folwthewhtrbt702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #2  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

What about the health department in your area? I have a friend that when she doesn't have health insurances goes and asks for help paying for something she needs to have looked at. Going in and telling them you don't feel well and can't afford a doctor should get you a case started. It will probably only cover you for 30 days or so but atleast you can be checked out. With you being unemployed you should be covered for something even if it is just basic care.
I have health insurance but also don't get PCOS treatment with it. The only one that treats me for that is my fertility doctor...my family doctor didn't order the correct tests and told me I didn't have it. My insurance with cover nothing to do with fertility what so ever. Our insurance is so high that if it goes any higher we probably will not be able to afford it. Check out your government insurance again there has to be a loop hole that you can get in to see a doctor.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #3  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

Have you called your county health department, like Losing4another suggested? Even if you don't qualify for MediCal (you have to absolutely very poor, at the poverty line so under about $14,000/year), there are other programs that the county should have. There might also be cheap or free clinics, especially if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I completely agree about medical costs being out of control, even for the employed, let alone those between jobs. I believe that health care is a right, not a privilege exclusively for either the well employed or the poorest. Getting private health insurance is not going to help. Medical bills are the biggest and growing cause of bankrupcy so you're right to be concerned. You can always make minimal (like $10/month) payments to whoever you owe. I think Obama will help in the next few years but that's off topic.

It's frustrating and crappy to feel so powerless over your own life. Sounds like you're doing what you can: reaching out, getting meds from Mexico (which honestly I think is generally safe). I hope things get better for you soon.
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

I don't know how it is in California, but up here in Washington we have something called "Community Health". It's a medical clinic that takes people on a sliding-scale basis, so you could pay anything from nothing to full fees, depending on your income. Since you are unemployed, I would think your fee would be little to nothing. Can you check and see if you have any kind of clinic like that nearby? Also, I work at a medical center and we give millions of dollars a year in forgiveness under a Charity Care program. Can you ask your doctor's office if they have any such program and can perhaps forgive part or all of your bills? In our office, you would have to fill out some forms and apply, but in these times it seems like lots of people are qualifying.

Lastly, how about DSHS? Perhaps you could get medical coupons through them so that you can be seen?

I hate the way our country does healthcare. Hate it, hate it, hate it. It's just doesn't even make sense that someone with real, serious medical issues can't see a doctor in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. It stinks.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #5  
angelmom313

If you have no insurance and no job, you should qualify for SOME sort assistance based on INCOME; not based on the criteria you mentioned. If the dept of human services (not sure what it is called in california) cannot help, they should be able to refer you to an organization who can help.

Six years ago, I was a student and had no insurance. I had to have an emergency hysterectomy. Although I had nothing when I went to the hospital, I filled out some paperwork after being admitted and medicaid ended up covering everything. (This was in Arkansas though). I know each state programs differ slightly but there should be some way to get this taken care of. Just call, call, call and if they say they can't help you, ask who can. Call the state attorney general's office maybe????

Best of blessings to you. I know what you are going through. I currently am without insurance as well but I don't have any major health issues (except high cholesterol).
Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/289/180

Height: 5'8"

Thank you guys for your suggestions, I feel like I have to figure something out! I just find it so frustrating that in this country you can't see a doctor when you need to see a doctor, it's sad
folwthewhtrbt702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

I know that before I was diagnosed officially with pcos and had no insurance, I was reluctant to go to the health clinic here, but for $85, I got checked out and got 6 months of BC. And I didnt have to pay it all that day, just before the next visit... It was the most expensive visit, bc they did a pap smear AND tested for stds (protocol there I guess)

And there are also those sliding scale doctors offices here too. AND dental clinics as well. you might want to check into the dental school/medical schools in your area. Because a visit may take longer with a student, the cost of the visit is cut literally in half!!

But I think that as far as getting your meds, the health unit would be the best route to go. Hope you can get what you need.... I now pay $150 a month JUST to have insurance... my meds are still uber expensive to the point that I still have to go to the health clinic for my BC!
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #8  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

A month??....We pay that a week More than our mortgage payment. I sure hope something changes because we can't afford another penny. It goes any higher we have to let it go. Last year it was 90 a week...It's supposed to be a better plan.....Still doesn't cover more than the normal basic care. Come on Obama we're waiting on that promise
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

All President Obama could promise was trying to persuade congress to vote for national healthcare. If it were up to him alone, it would already be in the works, but because the majority of Congress will have to agree, I'm not very optimistic, to be honest.

Unfortunately people who've never gone without health care when they needed it, don't understand what it's like. I've seen so many interviews with conservative politicians, and they just don't get it. Some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths drives me crazy, it's like a "let them eat cake" attitude. Some of these guys dismissed the need for changes to healthcare saying that no one is turned away in American hospitals because there are charities and existing govt programs for such things (yes, and the need far outnumbers those served by those programs).

One of the things my husband I are finding is that for most programs, they look only at your income and not how much you are spending on healthcare. For example we make too much money to qualify for many programs that could help us - and while they take into account some expenses (rent or mortgage) none of them have taken into account what we're spending on medications and medical bills. It doesn't matter how much we make if nearly all of it is going for medical expenses (and we have some bills that we probably will never be able to pay completely in our lifetimes).

All in all, our problems are minor. I have a master's degree and my husband worked in human resource, and making heads or tails of medicare and such makes me frightened for all the people without our resources. If we can barely navigate the system, how is an uneducated person, raised in poverty going to make sense of any of it. The existing system is broken, but you've got to see it to know it's there. The reason some of these polititians think "everything's fine" is because they haven't seen the suffering themselves.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-30-2009 at 12:19 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh boy . . . our nationalized health care system here in Canada definitely has it's problems, but I think the advantages outweight the disadvantages, bigtime.

I sincerely hope your President's initiative makes it through Congress . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote