Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/142/135

Height: 5'6"

Default My bad day: Anyone else tend to overeat when tired? What next?

I am determined to kick my battle with the scale once and for all. I just want to be happy with what I see in the mirror. So I have been on program (I do WW) and on track for two weeks. (This is my 4th time on WW.)

Today was a different story. My son, age 5, is sick and I was up off and on with him for 3 hours last night. So even though I planned my meals today I have not followed. When I am tired my need for a "party in my mouth" goes into overdrive. So in the past few hours I have managed to eat a couple pancakes, a few dozen teddy grahams, and an ice cream bar. I guess it could be worse. All of you that are on this journey and have a bad day like this, how do you/what do you tell yourself so you don't have another bad day? Thanks.
todayistheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #2  
WaLk-iT-OuT

S/C/G: 179/160/125

Height: 5'3"

I will keep checking back on this thread for answers as well, because the same thing happens to me when i'm tired ... I over eat. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing it just to keep myself awake ...?
misspiggy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Hmmm....this is kind of a hard question to answer, I think. For me, I had to identify my triggers and prevent them. I tend to eat when I'm stressed, tired, or bored. If I find I'm getting bored, I find something to do that keeps my body busy, not just my mind. For example, I'll crochet to keep my hands busy, because if I watch t.v., I want to eat still. If I'm tired, I'll take a nap, even if it's only 15 minutes. It may not help much in terms of tiredness, but when I wake up, I usually have lost my desire to eat, or at least get it to a controllable state. If I'm stressed, I usually go for a walk. It's relaxing, burns calories, and there is no way I can eat (I don't bring money with me). On occasion, I still say forget it and dig through the cabinets, but this has helped with the frequency of which I do it.

I tend to get very upset when I mess up, and I'm working on that, but I just tell myself, if I start over right this second with eating on plan, what I did is not going to have a big effect on me in the long run. If I give up and keep eating, I'll be back to where I started. What do I want? That usually helps a bit.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #4  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I definitely get hungrier when I'm tired, and eat more. It's been happening today. I just try to make healthy choices as much as possible.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #5  
Queen Cynic

S/C/G: 275/255/135

Height: 5'5"

I do that, too. I just find myself tired all the time, which causes a big problem for me. My doctor actually recommended taking multivitamins to help out with my energy levels and I went to Target and found the generic version of the One-A-Day Energy vitamins and I have noticed a huge boost in my energy levels especially when I drink enough water.
LitaScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 6

Yes! That totally happens to me... If I am tired I think my body tries to make up for the lack of sleep by being hungry. The only suggestion I have for you is to get extra sleep, drink lots of water, and eat foods that are going to keep you fuller longer.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #7  
No description available.

Do I want to eat when I'm tired?
Are elephants huge and gray and do they leave large droppings?

HECK YEAH!

And it's taken me some time to recognize the pattern and the triggers. At least now I know that I want to eat when I'm tired. I clean, or sleep, or drink water, or exercise, or eat fruits/veggies....usually. And sometimes I give in and eat poorly. But then I get back on plan. Knowing your triggers is such an important first step.

PS Hope your little guy is better.

Last edited by midwife; 03-23-2009 at 09:21 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #8  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Yes, I do sometimes derail when I haven't gotten enough sleep. My tendency on those days is to crave sugary food, but giving in to that leads to blood sugar crash, rinse, repeat - and then I'm even worse off.

I just try to remind myself that going off plan has never even once made me feel more awake! I may be tired all day if I don't get a chance to rest, but at least I'll feel better tomorrow if I eat well now.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I have a little bit and then go to sleep! The little bit satisfies the craving but i recognise what i really need is sleep
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Do I want to eat when I'm tired?
Are elephants huge and gray and do they leave large droppings?

HECK YEAH!

LOL!! OMG! That's too funny....

I think we all do that at some point. When we are tired and stressed we reach for a comfort, which is food. Right now you need to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get right back on track. You can't undo the past, so don't let it stress you. Learn from it and move on!

Hope your little one gets to feeling better.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #11  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

DEFINITELY! Who doesn't remotely feel like eating when they're tired. I try and find something a bit healthier to eat, though, like fruits or something. If there's nothing nearby, I gulp water.
lixximajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 152

Height: 5'3''

I do it too.. and I then I am loaded with guilt. And I promise myself that I won't do it the next time.. and then again I do it I wish I could be stronger willed to keep away from my plan-killers.. chocolates!!
jayadasgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #13  

Default Hang in there!

Laura, we all have tired days...it's hard for me not to give in, but I just have to remember my goal, and know that it's not worth it. Also, I tend not to buy things I know I will scarf down (teddy grahams, yum!) and stick to healthier snacks like fruit. Ugh I hate sounding like "that person" but it's true!
Camarogirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote