Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #1  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Clothes Are Wonderful (Pictures)

Clothes are wonderful for hiding extra pounds or skin. I just posted my half way to goal pictures and have received two PM's from people telling me I really don't need to lose more weight. The first picture is the only one I have posted, except for here.

How many of you here had this issue? I know a great deal of the "flap" is still fat but have to wonder how much skin I will be left with.

At 44 (soon to be 45) I don't expect to EVER wear a bikini again but truth be told the "flap" really bothers me. I am seriously thinking about getting a lift/augmentation (currently my nipples hang to my waist without a good bra) and wonder if a tuck should also be considered.

I know this question is VERY personal but how does one truly love the skin they are in?

CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am also looking into surgery for implants and tuck. My clothes hide it fine but it's still there when my clothes come off. I don't have an apron or whatever but my belly button is demolished from childbirth and my stretch marks on my lower abdomen bleed at times when I work out. I will be going back to India in the summer 2010 and am planning my surgeries then.

BTW, you and only you need to decide when to quit losing. You will know when you get there.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-23-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I think why others may be saying that they think you don't really need to lose any more weight is becuz you look like you weigh around 135, rather than 154, but like THIGHSBEGONE says, both cosmetic surgery and what you want to weigh is a very personal decision, that only you can make in the end; and ...

Congratulations on getting to your halfway mark; you can really see the difference!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-23-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #4  

They call surgery to lift/augment boobs, lipo thighs and do the tummy repair & tuck a 'Mommy Makeover'. If I can get my weight off and keep it off for a year, I don't care what it costs- I am going to get that 'Mommy Makeover' as my reward!
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

My friend had a "flap" right up until about 10 pounds ago -- and she has lost 60 lbs. Now, her tummy is "squooshy", BUT, since the "squoosh" is low, she could wear a higher-waist bikini if she wanted to.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Only you know for yourself when you are ready to stop losing. Its hard to really judge from a photograph if a person has lost enough or not so I actually choose not to judge.

As for lifts and tucks, **** yeah! I will be doing both when I'm ready and can afford it.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #7  
Mel

Your starting weight, age, goal, and height are exactly the same as mine at the same points in our journey. And my pictures looked just the same, minus the pony-tail Honestly, I maintained for about 3 years and never felt happy or successful with that apron on me. It was the result of two HUGE pregnancies. My skin was shredded. I had a tuck when I was 49 and consider it the best maintenance tool ever. It was totally worth it, and not nearly as painful as I had expected. I'm still thrilled with the results and very happy that I did it. If you had asked me 10 years ago, I would have said never! not me.... But I'm old enough to know better than to say never. I can wear any style of clothes without worring about the skin. I even wore a bikini a few times when I was positive I wouldn't run into any one I knew

My advice is to maintain for a while, but have it done before you turn 50. After that, there are way more medical tests if you are a candidate for elective surgery.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #8  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

1st of all - congrats on the weight loss - your body and mind is healthy and that is a wonderful thing. I always worry about having loose skin - I think it was one of the things that twarted my last weight loss. In fact, I obsessed about it. A friend of mine lost over 100 pounds and looked fantastic everywhere but had a flap and it scared me. She got a tummy tuck and her confidence improved so much. It was her reward for loosing the weight.

It seems so unfair, we lose all this weight and still have issues like this but I am not focusing on that this time. If I have some loose skin, I will save up some money and take care of it or maybe not - it just really depends. Of course I hope I don't get it, but I would take that over what I got now!!! My heart doesn't care - it's just happy I am taking care of it

Whatever YOU feel, YOU want and YOU feel best with is the most important. I think it's great that you posted these and willing to share your feelings. And I hope you choose what you feel awesome about!
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

When in doubt, cut it out! Or off, as the case may be. At 5 ft 6 inches, your weight at 149 puts you at a very healthy bmi of 24.0. And some of that weight will be due to tummy skin. So only you know if you want to lose more or not, but you are indeed healthy.
As for the tummy tuck, hey, if it bugs you, get rid of it! If I have hangy skin, I'm definitely going to do it...
But you look fab, no matter what...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/210/150

Height: 5"4

Ahhh...the "apron"! I have one and have had one since I had my son...I was one of those belly girls...it was all there and now it just won't go away without super hard work.

Congrats on getting to where you are at, that is fantastic. The tuck (if you decide to do it) will rid you of some extra lbs. that's for sure, research "mommy makeover" as another poster suggested. It's kinda like a plastic surgery combo meal!

Once I get to or super close to my goal, I am going to do it. I'm 27 but I feel like I look like my grandma in my torso area. I say if it is something you feel will help you continue to feel good from weight loss and "complete" the process, go for it! What have you got to loose other than saggy skin and a few more lbs.?
Bailey3017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #11  

Hey CruiseCAT,

I'm just curious if you have children and if so, how many?

Your starting weight isn't really that high so I am thinking maybe some of the extra skin is from pregnancy. Unfortunately many moms have issues with this.
LayLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6

You look amazing! & I'm sure you could learn to be happy with your body!
PeaceNLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Whatever you choose, you look GREAT!

I don't mean to be a sourpuss, but - after 95 lbs, I still have my "apron" at 119 lbs. While other areas have tightened up quite a bit, I'm stuck with it for the long haul. I am not considering surgery. And, you are right - the right clothing makes a HUGE difference.

I consider it my "battle scar". It is a constant reminder of where I have been, and where I never want to be again!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote