Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default why is it so dang hard sometimes to get your "behind" to exercise?

You know, the other day, I procrastinated like for a LONG time before I got myself onto the treadmill. I then had a pretty good workout, lol.

why is it so dang hard sometimes just before you ACTUALLY do work out, to pull yourself together and exercise?

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I've been trying to make exercise a habit for almost 5 years. Still hate it, still whine about, still mostly not do it I want to be one of those people that enjoys exercise, I pretty much hate every second of it and spend the whole time staring at the clock (yes yes, I've heard all the advice! try different things! there's something you like! no. there. isn't).

I just keep trying to tell myself I hate flossing and I somehow manage to floss every night and clean the litterbox twice a day and do dishes, and 100 other things that just must get done.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #3  

I am hate do exercise too. I like to stay at home and watch TV, like sleeping. That's why I am now so fat.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #4  

I need to force me to do more exercise now.

Last edited by sindy9001; 03-18-2009 at 03:38 AM.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I procrastinate too . . and sometimes I will talk myself out of exercising some days. I have a rule of at least 4 days of exercise a week and NO less, which I have been good about keeping even tho i prefer to get in 6 days a week. Sometimes I am just not feeling it and want to be lazy . . . . . but I exercised today after watching the biggest loser
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'4.5 in.

I know what you mean. I just got my new exercise dvd....I hope I don't procrastinate. That's all I do. I will have to force myself to exercise but I do like some so hopefully there is no need for that. =/
SilentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am mostly an "I hate exercise" person too. The wii fit helps, some of it is more like a game. I also enjoy cross-country skiing, but that is quite limited to certain times of year.
I go to my pilates and yoga classes, and sometimes voluntarily do a yoga video or a tv program workout.
Last week, after a day in meetings out of town, I went to a "hot yoga" class instead of back to the hotel. I quite enjoyed it, and my heart rate was up the whole 90 minutes. Maybe that is aerobic enough to count! I could do that once a week.....
Don't know why I hate it so, but yes, I watch the clock etc too
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I have found that if I go work out first thing in the morning, I go most consistently. There is no thinking or arguing with myself. As soon as I am up, I put on my gym clothes and out the door. I know--waking up is the half the battle, but after couple of months, it's so automatic that I don't even think about it.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #9  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

I used to hate exercises like anything, everyday I had a new excuse not to do it..but now I love them. No matter what or wherever I'm I take time to do some form of exercises and these includes riding my bicycle, brisk walking jogging & all forms of weight training. With time it becomes easier & when you see results you start enjoying it...as they say nothing succeeds like success. If you do what you enjoy doing then the doing become easy & fun. I guess most of the times people hate exercises is because we associate themwith pain and not with fun..its just a process of finding what you love to do and in my case I just discovered its riding a bicycle and doing weight training.

Last edited by rinku; 03-18-2009 at 08:14 AM.
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The only thing I can add is that I don't make it an option NOT to do it. It's become part of my routine, whether I feel like it or not. It's just THAT important and THAT beneficial to me. Along the same lines as Glory, I don't like doing lots of things throughout the day - the laundry, the dishes, paying the bills, making the beds and on and on. There are days (many of em' in fact) when I hate to pick myself up and go to work - but - I just do it all because it HAS to be done.

If I only did these things, exercise included, when "I felt like it"..... Oh my. Let's not even go there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Don't shoot me ya'll, but I like exercising too. I used to dislike it and would do it because it was absolutely necessary. Now I crave it the same as a hot shower or a good meal.

ETA: I very much agree with Robin's statement overhead.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-18-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Don't shoot me ya'll, but I like exercising too. I used to dislike it and would do it because it was absolutely necessary. Now I crave it the same as a hot shower or a good meal.
I won't shoot ya. But I DO envy you. I'm kind of mixed about this. I absolutely LOVE what it does for me. There is no question about that. My muscles are just the coolest things to me and I would do nothing to jeopardize them. But again, I don't always loving DOING the actual exercise itself.

I've been sitting at jury duty for the past 2 days and missed my strength training. Grrr. I can't tell you how upset I was about that and I am actually looking forward to doing that today. I really felt like something was - missing. So maybe I am craving it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #13  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I procrastinate sometimes too but I love to exercise. It makes me feel awesome It's just so many things go on around here that I will push it off if I don't wake up early to do it but I do make myself find time to do it at some point during the day. I rank it up there with feeding the kids

When I first started I really didn't like it but once I got into the habit & knew what it feels like after a good workout....I just crave it.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #14  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I'm 39 1/2 years old. For the last 39 1/2 years I have been deeply, deeply lazy. I hated exercise with an INTENSE PASSION. I always did as little as possible. I was in the marching band in high school just so I could avoid Phys Ed! But, a friend gave me a free gym membership 15 days ago and I made the decision to Just Do It. So I started going. And it wasn't fun, per se, but it wasn't that bad. (I mind weights a lot less than I mind cardio but I'm doing both.)

I took measurements on the first day then again a couple days ago. OMG! I have lost 1 1/2" off my bust and 2" off my waist and 2" off my hips in 14 days! 14 days!!! I know that isn't going to happen every 14 days, but still! That is motivation enough for me!

I'm committed now. My motivation is, I can't wait to see what I'm going to look like after 3 months of going to the gym 6 days a week! And I really can't wait to see what I'm going to look like after 6 months of this! (Plus I feel great and sleep better at night too. Downside is, I'm HUNGRY all the time. But I think that's just because my metabolism is speeding up.)
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I tend to think of it the same way I think of inertia (you know, objects at rest tend to stay at rest); I don't mind exercising most days, and I really *enjoy* things like hiking, but the momentum required to get up and do them is what's difficult.

Somehow explaining it with physics makes me feel less lazy, I guess? There's a scientific explanation for the reason I don't want to get off the couch and go to spin class!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote