Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #1  

Default Hello! I'm new to this game!

Hi everyone!
I am new to this site!

I am not particularly overweight, (just extra jiggly in some areas) so I decided to finally do something about it, instead of continually cursing my mirror.
I just joined a gym last week and plan to go at least three times a week. And today I went grocery shopping and filled up my cart with lots of fruits and veggies and other healthy foods. Yay for a fresh start!
my only question is, I refuse to count calories. I hate it and only feel deprived.
do you think I will lose weight naturally if I exercise and eat healthy? or do you think I really have to still watch my portions in order to lose weight?
thanks for any advice or experience anyone has!
mmmsammm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Welcome!

Whether or not you have to watch your portions probably depends on how big they are now Why are you over weight? Is it because you dont exercise enough? Because you eat right but the portions are too big? Because you snack on junk food etc? If your portions are right, you dont need to fix them I would just start working out and eating healthy, and if you dont lose weight then maybe think about portion size
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #3  
No failure!!!

S/C/G: 265/240/175

Height: 5'10"

I think portion control and eating in moderation is a huge issue! It is so important to losing weight and being successful.
nursemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

Why not instead of counting your calories per se, use measuring cups for a week just so you can get a feel for what a healthy portion is? I do count calories, but my problem initially was not knowing what a portion was supposed to be. Since then, I've gotten used to normal or modest portions and I'm actually satisfied with less, so adding up my foods for the day doesn't make me feel deprived anymore.
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #5  

hey thanks guys!
Since I am technically within my healthy weight range, I am guessing that my portion control is ok. i have never really worked out before, So I am hoping that trying to choose healthier foods, and going to the gym will make the difference I would like to see. If not then I will start worrying about portions more.
the measuring cup idea is a good one tho!

Last edited by mmmsammm; 03-15-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/181/140

Height: 5'8

I hear ya. I hate to count cals, but you do need to burn off more than you take in to lose, but as long as you are eating the fruits and veggies and good stuff you really shouldn't need to watch too much. If you're working out too I'm sure that you will lose quickly. If you're just a bit jiggly you'll tighten up w/ that alone. Anyway, this is a great site and the people here are wonderful. They'll help ya along the way. Good luck!
butterfly120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #7  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I found that I counted calories in all of the things that I ate frequently for about 3-4 weeks until I became pretty good at guessing.

I don't TRULY count calories anymore, I just occasionally assess whether I can afford to have something junky by roughly estimating how many I've had already.... I don't give myself a calorie "limit," I just know that if I start pushing much higher than 1800, I should try to eat super healthy the next day, maybe snack a bit less. Some days I don't even think to count them at all. It's a very relaxed way of "calorie counting" but not beating myself up for having an off-day.

Last edited by Jelbb; 03-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/ticker!/145

Height: 5'4

My trainer told me last week at my fitness evaluation, that when you're wanting to lose weight, it's 70-80% nutrition and the rest exercise. So, if you're already eating healthy, practice portion control and get that exercise in!
blissclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #9  

cool!
I like that idea of not TRUELY counting calories but just estimating.
I looked up trail mix, which I thought was a healthy thing to be munching on all day, but it turns up a cup has over 700 calories!!!! it may be very nutritious, but I can't eat just a few pieces and put it back, so I will definitely cut that out from my daily routine!
I am thinking the key is turning to fruits and veggies as much as possible.... I love munching on crackers, nuts, bread, cookies, and all sorts of things like that, so I think the biggest challenge for me will be to try and replace those with fruit or veggies more often.
note to self, reach for the crisper instead of the pantry!

thanks for all the tips everyone!!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Oh yeah you will be much better off reaching for fruits and veggies. Nuts are good for you, but thoes REALLY have to be portion controlled because they have tons of fat, good fat, but good fat is for lack of a better term. Fat is fat, so you do want to have more "good" fat than "bad" fat, but too much of it is still too much! haha, My best advice to you, is buy in bulk, and prepare as soon as you get home. I'm super thrifty, so when i first started out I bought broccoli heads, cauliflower heads, cucumbers, etc. and as soon as I got home I cut it all up so it was read to go, then just brought it all with me! So helpful, also if you have a lunch room at work, take advantage of the freezer! I keep my work fridge stocked with mixed veggie packets, and have a glass bowl at my desk that I used to cook them in! This saves me everytime, I mean the vending machine is in the same room, so I'm still in the habit of going to the room with the vending machine, only I'm saving my money on filling foods!! You can dress them in Fat free Italian or hot sauce or what not, i keep green tabasco in my desk, i'm addicted, need meetings!

GOOD LUCK though, definitely working out will help too!
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote